General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Never Using Mobile1 Again

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2000 never burned any oil at all and had ZERO piston slap issues. I ran M1 10W-30
Old 02-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Teching In

No matter what i do i just have a piston slap from hell!! It doesn't matter what oil i try it still slapps. I don't know what to try.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Teching In

My car never burns oil, but the piston slap is just loud until it warms up
Old 02-20-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01pewterbird
I don't have to pm you about anything. Just find your views funny.
And no not all LS1's burn oil
and no not all LS1's make noise
Most do but not all, the oil consumption issue is largely in part because of a bad pcv design
And no synthetics are not just for people who want to run a longer OCI, while that is a reason, your still going to get better wear numbers with synthetic rather than dino.
You post things as fact without really knowing.
exactly, cuz of that bad pcv design; ls1 burns oil. why would you wanna put expensive synthtic oil while you are just burning it off?? believe what you wanna believe. i know what ive seen with my eyes and from my experience i wouldnt run synthtic as long as i know my ls1 burns it off. ive seen good results with 0w-30 GC and firm believer that itz a good oil and i would use it if my car didnt burn it off.

to me synthitc oil is just dino oil with additives. itz just harder to break down and last longer than dino oil. that is it.

ls1 wil always make noise. i would love to see a quiet ls1 without any valvetrain noises or piston slap.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

Very true.

My '98 burns no oil, regardless of whether I'm running M1 5W30, 10W30 or 0W40. And my PCV system is a 100% stock '98 setup.

It does have some minor valvetrain noise that was more noticeable with the 5 or 10W30 but has all but vanished since I switched to M1 0W40.
I third that............i have the slap..........but no oil consumption.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

txss, just stop, your ignorance is clear and I’m sick of you posting false statements about ls1's and oil. You obviously don't get it. Just because it sucks a little oil through the PCV doesn't mean anything. That oil you suck through is insignificant maybe a half a quart depending on the car. And guess what I don't burn that oil because I run something called a catch can. It's not like you would burn all 6 quarts between the oil changes anyway. Besides, IT'S ABOUT WEAR and protection. The good synthetics like GC show low WEAR NUMBERS. Now that is what you should be concerned about when it comes to oil. Once again you show your ignorance by saying all ls1's slap. Because guess what, there is a good amount out there that don't
Old 02-20-2007, 02:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Originally Posted by staringback05
theres no way, M1 is a better oil then GC....its way to inconsistant....

thats fine if you switch back n forth....i guess theres "always" an exception...you also run your car on the lower side of oil pressure....your ls1 must be a freak

we used to pull motors apart when i worked in college, people who would use sythn. and then switch back, then theyd go back again.....the seals, gaskets, and bearings looked like ****....

my opinion that gc is thicker doesnt go off of what the label says between it and M1...M1 claims alot of crap, but gc is a consistantly thicker oil...

i dont see a problem going from a thinner oil to a thicker oil....but going from thicker to thinner...doesnt help your motor....

i guess EVERYONE has there own thing...and by no means do i believe every LS1 is the same.....HOWEVER i speak from experience...thats why i commented
Who said anything about M1 being better?

M1 0W40 is a good oil. Maybe not the best in the world, but it’s certainly not bad either, and it’s much easier to get than GC 0W30.

I’ve read that the base stock for GC 0W30 is better than the M1 0W40, and that GC may not shear as much over many thousands of miles. But to call M1 0W40 “thin” when fresh compared to GC 0W30 when fresh, is just silly. The CST @ 100C for M1 0W40 is 14.3; hardly thin respective to this comparison. If I remember correctly, the GC 0W30 is somewhere in the 12.xx range.

There is nothing freakish about my LS1. On average I see 35psi in gear (550 rpm) at idle once fully warm, closer to 40 when in park (650rpm). Under extreme conditions I’ve seen dips to 25-30psi, but that’s not a regular event by any means.

As for going from GC 0W30 to M1 0W40 and back to GC 0W30, regardless of which you believe is thicker or thinner, it is NOT GOING TO HURT ANYTHING. I can’t imagine what possible experience you have had where you tied premature engine failure or damage back to switching from oils like M1’s 5,10 W30 or 0W40 to or from GC 0W30 and back again on an LS1. One oil may do a better job of protecting the motor than the other, but there is no way that the act of switching alone will damage anything. Period. I openly challenge anyone to prove that this act alone can cause engine damage or premature failure.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Just because it sucks a little oil through the PCV doesn't mean anything. That oil you suck through is insignificant

I have a small amount of oil coming though my PCV system, yet I have no noticeable loss of oil on my dipstick.

The guys that are using a quart or more of oil every 1000 miles are blowing most of that past the rings, IMO. Not PCV.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

^^ exactly, although i do believe some PCV's suck a lot more oil than others
Old 02-20-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im with RPM, I have a 99 with the slightest amount of oil around the pcv(like a shine almost) and it doesnt burn oil, or piston slap and doesn't consume oil either. Was using M1 10W30 and then switched to GC 0W30, everything still good in the hood, if anything better since goin to GC(from the feel/oil psi/valvetrain orchestra)
Old 02-20-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

txss, just stop, your ignorance is clear and I’m sick of you posting false statements about ls1's and oil. You obviously don't get it. Just because it sucks a little oil through the PCV doesn't mean anything. That oil you suck through is insignificant maybe a half a quart depending on the car. And guess what I don't burn that oil because I run something called a catch can. It's not like you would burn all 6 quarts between the oil changes anyway. Besides, IT'S ABOUT WEAR and protection. The good synthetics like GC show low WEAR NUMBERS. Now that is what you should be concerned about when it comes to oil. Once again you show your ignorance by saying all ls1's slap. Because guess what, there is a good amount out there that don't
k, so i guess im right. ls1 does burn oil.. half quart/full quart it will show on the dip stick.. just stfu and run watever oil you want. itz not ganna hurt anything. i didnt post any false statements about ls1 and oil. go do some more research.

here are some few questions you should ask yourself..
why ppl add catch can?? why ppl sell em?? if ls1 didnt burn ANY OIL.
whatz that grease stuff underneath our intake maniford? where is it goin? why ppl on here bitch about noise? go start your car in the moring and listen. what do you hear?? is it that quiet like luxus?

im not hear to argue with your ignorance. just run watever you want in your motor and keep it forever. im done with your thick head. just read what ive been posting and learn.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

ok i'm just wondering if there's any hurt in going from M1 10w-30 back to M1 5w-30??? all suggestions appreciated...
Old 02-20-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

TXSS, my ignorance!?? why don't you learn how to spell and talk(maniford,itz,watever,luxus). In this thread alone 3 people have said they don't burn oil! You, my friend, need to do the research.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 02LS1WS6
ok i'm just wondering if there's any hurt in going from M1 10w-30 back to M1 5w-30??? all suggestions appreciated...
No hurt at all. Anyone that tells you otherwise is spreading a falsehood. Period. I used to switch back and forth between the 5 and 10 W30 all the time before I switched over to 0W40. I still switch between 5 and 10 W30 all the time in my L36 motors.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by TX_SS
k, so i guess im right. ls1 does burn oil.. half quart/full quart it will show on the dip stick..

here are some few questions you should ask yourself..
why ppl add catch can?? why ppl sell em?? if ls1 didnt burn ANY OIL.
whatz that grease stuff underneath our intake maniford? where is it goin?
Maybe your LS1 burns significant amounts of oil. And it's true that many others do as well (my '00 LS1 used a lot of oil after the cam went in). However, not ALL LS1s burn significant amounts of oil. My '98 shows no signs of oil level drop on the dipstick between changes.

As for the PCV system, yes, every LS1 I've seen has a bit of oil in the PCV lines and some deposits in the intake.... BUT, it only takes a small amount of oil to make a big mess. Calling that small of an amount "burning oil" is misleading, IMO. Perhaps your definition is different.....
Old 02-20-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

^^ thank you for saying it again, maybe it will get through his head now. My apologies to the original poster for the stupid bickering with txss. Just trying to point out false inconsistencies that people post.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haaaa...this threads going nowhere fast....

rpm i thought you were the one said you run your car at like 25-30 psi idle constantly
? if not cool.....
Old 02-20-2007, 07:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by staringback05
rpm i thought you were the one said you run your car at like 25-30 psi idle constantly
? if not cool.....
No, never said that. I've stated before that I see an occasional drop to 25-30psi under certain severe conditons (like a long idle period sitting in heavy traffic in hot weather with heavy load on the motor like having the A/C on), but certainly not all the time, or even often. And the psi goes right back up to the normal ~35 at the next idle period once the motor has cooled a bit with some drive time. I remember the thread you're referring to, and my only point there was, the the occasional drop to lower than normal oil pressure doesn't always mean that you're oiling system has "issues". But if it's at 25psi constantly, then yes that would suggest a bigger issue.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TX_SS
ls1 burns oil
no matter what oil you use it will make noise
Not true.

Talk about broad generalizations.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Keep doing what you started with, that's what's important. Changing types, brands and weights of oil is not a good thing. I use M1 5-30. BUT if I had started with somethink else, I would stick with it unless I had problems. Changing brands/weights is what causes issues. And I do get a little sewing machine slap at first.

Quick Reply: Never Using Mobile1 Again