General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Antifreeze smell

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Antifreeze smell

After i drive my car i can smell antifreeze, and its pretty noticeable. One of my friends said his old camaro did it and it was a bad radiator cap but im pretty sure mines fine..any ideas
Old 04-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you smelling it inside? Is your carpet wet? If it is, it could be your heater core leaking on you.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

Mine has done that from day one..............if you are refering to the smell outside the car after you drive it. You are smelling the venting from the antifreeze fill bottle lid........if you look closely at the lid you will see breather holes. Normal.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing, keep an eye on your coolant level in your bottle and in your radiator. Know where the level is. While you find out where the smell is coming from you'll need to know how much, and if, it is leaking out.

Next, check for drips under the car. Also search for any other indications of leakage around your engine everywhere you can shine a light. Use a good light and take your time.

Next, check for leaks/seepage from the weephole in your water pump.

That's where all my trouble was coming from. Eventually it let loose and there was no mistaking the problem.

Other folks may have some information from other issues to aid your search.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah thats the smell i have, but i didn't really notice it before to much and now i noticed it a bit more. Usually when i get out of the car on the drivers side area, i get whiffs of waffles and syrup.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea it is after i drive it outside the car. I keep it in my garage so i know there isnt any leaks, at least enough to be on the floor. Ive done a quick check for leaks but didnt see any.. i'll look closer where you guys have mentioned. Any my level is right I did check that..thanks for the help I just didnt know if this was normal.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 92SilverSHO
yeah thats the smell i have, but i didn't really notice it before to much and now i noticed it a bit more. Usually when i get out of the car on the drivers side area, i get whiffs of waffles and syrup.
bleh the only waffles and syrup in the whole world that can make me nauseous as hell. I can't stand the smell of coolant, especially when its burning...
Old 04-11-2007, 02:24 AM
Launching!

Burning being the key word. Coolant doesnt smell good unless its getting burnt.