General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What the F*&K has happened to my car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Default What the F*&K has happened to my car?

Guys heres the deal. My car is a 98 Z28. Car did have only a TCI 3000 stall and Transgo. Well I bought a set of Pacesetters, TSP True Duals, Fast 90/90. So my tranny started going bad. So I ordered up a Performabuilt Level 2 and their 3500 stall. Well today I got it back with the new tranny and stall as well as the headers, exhaust, and Fast 90/90 installed. The shop that installed everything also did some porting on the Fast intake for me. I also had the car tuned as well as had new plugs and wires installed on it. The car will not even spin the tires hardly at all. The car sounds good as hell but feels like its going nowhere. With those mods it should roast the street tires that are on it at will. When it only had the 3000 stall it would spin like hell. Now it hardly even spins the tires even if I stall it up. Both the shop that installed the parts and the guy that did the tune are members on here. So it will be Monday before I can talk with the shop. Both have good reputations when it comes to these cars. I'm just wondering what the hell is wrong here. The tranny doesn't seem right to me either. When you kick it the stall doesn't flash up like it should and the shifts aren't hard either. When you put the car in gear you can barely feel it go in gear. It drives fine otherwise. Theres just a ton of power missing somewhere. Any ideas. Needless to say I'm rather PISSED after spending $5000. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id wonder if there would be no back pressure, but your stall is a really good size, so I dont think your be having problems launching if you stall it up cause that would take care of the low-end.

In my opinion, you've got a great intake and a great exhaust, but somewhere between the intake manifold and the headers, youre not getting it through the engine as smooth as it can.

If you've got money, maybe do a cam and some heads?
Old 06-09-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackSVT03
Id wonder if there would be no back pressure
definately not the issue
Old 06-09-2007, 08:04 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The FAST 90/90 is overkill for a stock engine. Get a cam or heads/cam then you'll see an improvement
Old 06-09-2007, 08:16 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Backpressure? hahahahahaha. That is never the issue.
I have a 3800TCI and I can take the pavement with me when I take off.

Here is my thought.
I could see them either:

A: your tune is terrible.
B: they didn't start learning to port intakes until you showed up.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

Yes, a 90/90 combo might be considered overkill on his setup, but it wouldnt hurt performance, especially to the level that he's describing. Sounds to me like somebody f-ed something up when putting your car back together. Maybe the converter is bad or something.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it tuned.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG
Yes, a 90/90 combo might be considered overkill on his setup, but it wouldnt hurt performance, especially to the level that he's describing. Sounds to me like somebody f-ed something up when putting your car back together. Maybe the converter is bad or something.
We have had exceptional performance from our converters , They are a bit tighter than some others and are not under rated stall wise like others either, But also bear in mind that the power levels affect stall meaning if the engine performance is poor or the low end torque is weak the stall will feel much lower that its rated, Now Im not that familiar with the later intakes and fuel systems however I do know that back in the days of carbs if you added a large cfm carb and free flowing intake and exhaust but did not have the cam for it you would get substaintial low end torque loss, Which could be whats happening here just a guess.

Now I will say the shifts may not be as firm with the level 2 as they were with the transgo shift kit we do not block the accums at all , We make the shifts firm enough to avoid slippage under power but not so firm as to put a massive impact on the hard parts or drive train, Your always hearing how someone put in a shift kit and killed there trans well this actually can have some truth if you set it up to agressive. Its a balancing act enough presure and apply volume to eliminate slipping under power yet not beat the crap out of the drive train any more than nessesary to accomplish that goal.

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 06-09-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:31 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think this car needs the cam too.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
We have had exceptional performance from our converters , They are a bit tighter than some others and are not under rated stall wise like others either, But also bear in mind that the power levels affect stall meaning if the engine performance is poor or the low end torque is weak the stall will feel much lower that its rated, Now Im not that familiar with the later intakes and fuel systems however I do know that back in the days of carbs if you added a large cfm carb and free flowing intake and exhaust but did not have the cam for it you would get substaintial low end torque loss, Which could be whats happening here just a guess.

Now I will say the shifts may not be as firm with the level 2 as they were with the transgo shift kit we do not block the accums at all , We make the shifts firm enough to avoid slippage under power but not so firm as to put a massive impact on the hard parts or drive train, Your always hearing how someone put in a shift kit and killed there trans well this actually can have some truth if you set it up to agressive. Its a balancing act enough presure and apply volume to eliminate slipping under power yet not beat the crap out of the drive train any more than nessesary to accomplish that goal.
I just want to say that I wasn't bashing your parts in any way, just throwing the converter thing out there, because I've heard of it happening before every once in a while.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Oh yes and I know there have been two that stalled bellow expected. But I dont think thats the case here with the mods your showing , Nothing personal because its a step by step thing I think you have more intake than you have engine , I would suggest a cam

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-10-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could his plugs be cracked or maybe 02's be on their way out maknig him loose a bunch of power? its an idea and a common problem after ehader nistalls and such, maybe even an intake leak somewhere possibly?
Old 06-10-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
The FAST 90/90 is overkill for a stock engine. Get a cam or heads/cam then you'll see an improvement
I know the 90/90 is overkill for a stock engine. But are you saying that my car should be slower after having all this done to it? The car should be faster without a doubt.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Launching!

shouldn't you get some bigger fuel injectors too?
Old 06-10-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Backpressure? hahahahahaha. That is never the issue.
I have a 3800TCI and I can take the pavement with me when I take off.

Here is my thought.
I could see them either:

A: your tune is terrible.
B: they didn't start learning to port intakes until you showed up.
Both the shop and tuner are reputable. I'm not going to mention any names yet because I haven't had the chance to talk to either. The shop ported the Fast intake of a guy on here who runs 10.50's with just a cam in his 98 SS and a 150 shot. He and I have almost identical mods but his is a 6-speed and mines an auto. His car is also tuned by the same guy that did mine
Old 06-10-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zger
Get it tuned.
If you read my post you will see I did have it tuned
Old 06-10-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Oh yes and I know there have been two that stalled bellow expected. But I dont think thats the case here with the mods your showing , Nothing personal because its a step by step thing I think you have more intake than you have engine , I would suggest a cam
The car will only stall about 2900 on the street tires the exact same it would stall when the only mod it had was the TCI 3000. Does that make sense?
Old 06-10-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tainted
could his plugs be cracked or maybe 02's be on their way out maknig him loose a bunch of power? its an idea and a common problem after ehader nistalls and such, maybe even an intake leak somewhere possibly?
Like I said in my first post I had new plugs and wires installed. I didn't put in new 02's. That might be a good idea.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
I think this car needs the cam too.
I'm not gonna spend another dime until the car runs like it should with the mods it has. Would you?
Old 06-10-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

The fastest bolt-on LS1 on the site gained 2 mph when switching to a 90/90 from an LS6 and ported TB..

You don't have to have a cam to see some gains. And you sure as hell won't lose power.