General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

water pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pump questions

I have an 02 SS with 39,500miles and my water pump is leaking only when I turn the car off. I'm sure I need to replace it and I have ordered a new one from O'Riely's. My questions are one do you think it's bad not to have an ac delco on there? Two what is the proper procedure for getting the air out of the system when you refill the coolant and three is this something that you recommend doing yourself or having the stealership do it? (the stealership wants $600 for parts and labor) I got the instuctions off of ls1howto already and being as particular as I am I think that I would do a better job then someone who looks at it as just another 4hours of pay.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

I'd go to www.ls1howto.com and readup on the waterpump install procedure, then check out www.installuniversity.com under thermostat replacement for efficient procedure to bleed air from the system - good luck.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a new one. ive changed the piece of crap cardone one on my brothers ranger several times.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

My brother has replaced his water pump twice, both were Orielly's remanufactured water pumps...

Once you've replaced the water pump. Pour in the 50/50 mixture of antifreeze/water. Once the radiator is full (if you have access to a radiator pressure tester) you can remove the overflow hose from the overflow tank. (Tank side not radiator) Hold your thumb or finger over the end of the hose and pressurize the system. Then release system pressure by removing your finger/thumb from end of overflow hose, and drain extra coolant into reusable container. Once the pressure is down. Remove pressure tester from radiator and pour in extra coolant from reusable container, and repeat until no air is released through overflow hose.

This causes the air in the system to be forced out the highest point in the system, the overflow hose (next to radiator cap.) Haven't had any problems doing it this way.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you ever pulled a water pump out before?
Old 06-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by staringback05
you ever pulled a water pump out before?
Nope! But I think that I might give it a go.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=Slo-Mo-Shun]My brother has replaced his water pump twice, both were Orielly's remanufactured water pumps...

This is a new pump made by Masters not the rebuilt one that they sell?
Old 06-29-2007, 09:59 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1999ws6
Originally Posted by Slo-Mo-Shun
My brother has replaced his water pump twice, both were Orielly's remanufactured water pumps...
This is a new pump made by Masters not the rebuilt one that they sell?
call around cause around these parts autozone is 20-30 dollars cheaper than the boys in green and its new lifetime and my local zone keeps it in stock.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

I just wanted to follow up and say that I changed out the water pump myself this weekend and that if you are thinking of doing it yourself it's not that hard and saved me $500.00. Thanks to Ron @Vengence and LS1Tech guys that answered my questions.

Chad