General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ABS INOP, BRAKE, ASR OFF lights on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS INOP, BRAKE, ASR OFF lights on?

I have read several related post about this problem, but I have not read a solution that seems to fit my situation. After drivng about 5 minutes, all of these lights come on and stay on. I can turn off the engine for 15 minutes and the lights don't normally come back on until the next time the engine has not been started for a day or so. Although, some times the lights do come back on after 10 minutes of driving. I have factory wheels and fairly new tires so I don't think that tire size or wheel mods is the problem.

Is this some type of module gone bad? I have replaced several expensive modules this year already. Any suggestions?

Last edited by 98ZCONVERT; 10-09-2007 at 05:11 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Hard to say, you getting any codes? Might have a communication issue, a U code. These might not be able to be picked up by a autozone scanner. A good shop with a tech2 do several great quick tests, for pending class1-3 codes and communication pings.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Since you replaced modules already you may have one of those problems that will never go away now. American made cars are notorious for this.

But, and it may sound wacked, if you have a failing or bad TPS (throttle position)sensor it will cause all of those to come on. Also, you will not get an SES light necassarily, I didn't when my TPS failed, but all that stuff came on and stayed on. If I shut the engine off and restarted those lights would stay off for a little bit, than come back on, just like yours. My PCM also went into Speed Density tune and I had no clue, the engine still operated perfectly. I totally disconnected my TPS and drove around like that for days and it was perfect.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

I had my ASR off light stay on at startup on two different occasions, but it would function fine after starting up again when warm. It turned out to be a bad battery both times. The car cranked fine and there were really no other signs - my trickle charger wouldn't fully charge the battery and Autozone confirmed they were bad. Hopefully it's something simple like the battery.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Teching In

check for abs codes with a scanner. sounds like you've got a bad wheel speed sensor. not very difficult to change out and that sensor will turn on those lights.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Did you figure out the problem?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same problem once in a great while, all lights are on and it goes away for months, usually they seem to come on when there is water on the road and its raining.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the ABS INOP light come on the second you turn the car on?
Is the service engine light on?

Does the BRAKE light come on after you get up over 35 MPH? Or does it come on after awhile even if you are stationary?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Banned

I can pull codes for you if you are in the Detroit area.

More than likely, if you have same sizes tires all around (same brand and model also), it is probably a wheelspeed sensor going bad or a bad connection for a wheelspeed sensor.

Its been a few years since working in the Bosch Braking group, but I still remember some.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a similar problem, ever since I've had my car the "ABS INOP" light always flashes for a few seconds on start up but then goes away and never comes back on until I start the car again.

Since I've put my FAST 90mm intake and NW 90mm TB on my "ASR off" light came on occasionally. I got a new TPS sensor and a few HP Tuner adjustments and it has been fine for months.

Now all of a sudden today when I was letting my car idle for longer than normal the "ASR off" light came on, but there was no SES light, and after driving for 10-15 minutes it went off before I got to work.

Could this be a wheel sensor?
Old 08-09-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Does the ABS INOP light come on the second you turn the car on?
Is the service engine light on?

Does the BRAKE light come on after you get up over 35 MPH? Or does it come on after awhile even if you are stationary?
I get the BRAKE light alot what is that alla bout?
Old 08-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Banned

On an ASR vehicle, a single wheelspeed error will disable traction but leave ABS active. A TPS failure will also disable traction control. There are one or two other failures that will disable traction but leave ABS on, but I can not think of them at the moment.

If the BRAKE light is on, you have a fault or multiple faults that are serious enough to shut the whole unit it off. In other words, it is safer to shut down than to try to control any item of braking. It would talk 2 or more wheelspeed sensor errors to do that. More than likely, a valve inside the module is bad which means a new unit.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Would you recommend me replacing the wheelspeed sensor or just keep trying to fine tune my TPS?

Would high IAC counts at idle cause this?

I know for sure that my IAC counts are high at idle.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AutomagicLS1
I get the BRAKE light alot what is that alla bout?

If the brake light comes on when driving over 35 mph it is probably related to the wheel sensor. This may take several minutes or as soon as you hit about 35.

If all lights come on when you turn the car on sounds more like a module failure, other part failure, or network failure. Easiest to investigate is the pump motor. Then take apart the splice pack connector and verify that each module has a good connection.

If the service vehicle light comes on the module is more than likey fried or not connected to the network.

If the service vehicle light is not one and all three lights come on you might be throwing a U code. The module that doesn't have the U code is the problem child. Also, investigate that the slp2000 connector located to the right of the steering column isn't exhibiting a short to 12 volts or shorted to ground.

The problem is that there are so many things it could be with these Bosch modules and they interface with so much in these cars. Easiest things to check are the pump motor, brake and cruise switches, ect.

Last edited by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed; 08-09-2007 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:49 AM
Banned

TheLS1Kid
Without knowing the code that is set, it is more probable that it is the TPS rather than a wheelspeed sensor. If memory serve, the IAC doesn't connected to the ASR. Another item to check is the throttle relaxer. If it has an error, it would shut down only traction.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^Thanks Gregg.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

Good info here, guys. My car has all 3 lights come on randomly. Sometimes they come on while driving. Sometimes after I brake to a complete stop. Sometimes they come on as soon as I start the car. No SES light though.

I quickly checked connections at wheel sensors and they looked ok. I really want to scan for the code but not sure who else can scan it besides the dealer. The dealer wanted $90 to troubleshoot the problem. I'm debating whether it's worth it.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:01 AM
Banned

TheLS1Kid, Let me know what you find.

RoadHazard, Did you check the connections to the brake module itself? If you have TCS, did you verify that the connections to it are good? It sounds like a bad connection/wire. Maybe a wheelspeed sensor, but I don't think it is the unit itself.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

All lights are off.

I had a "ASR off" problem when I turned my A/C on, but I just drove for 5 minutes with the A/C on and it went off.

Weird ****.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Banned

Some faults are ece13. In other words, the fault remains until the diagnostics show it is working (guity until proven innocent). Usually, these type of faults allow the fault to go away and functionality to be immediatly brought back on line.

Quick Reply: ABS INOP, BRAKE, ASR OFF lights on?