General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What does the wire harness that clips to alternator go to? Please read!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does the wire harness that clips to alternator go to? Please read!

I just installed a racetronix fuel system on my 2k ls1 because the walbro blew up Any way I had to drop the alternator to connect the wire harness from the racetronix system directly to the alternator. I accidently pulled the little red wire from the clip on the back of the alternator..it ripped I thought i fixed it. went for a test drive car runs great except no voltage on gauge

1. if the fuel system wire harness does not have good ground and its hot is connected to alternator will it drain all power?

2. or what the hell is the red wire that plugs into the clipped wire on the back of the alternator...not the hot red that goes to battery...very small gauged wire that i ripped and may not have good connection from my repair?

any help appreciated

thanx

JonSSTex
Old 07-30-2007, 04:31 AM
On The Tree

Default I would replace it.

The L-terminal circuit from the generator is a discrete circuit (a discrete circuit has no splices and only one source and one destination) into the PCM. The PCM applies ignition voltage to the generator L terminal circuit. A small amount of current flows from this circuit through the generator windings to create a magnetic field which starts the generator process. When the generator is at operating speed and producing voltage, a solid state switch for the L terminal circuit in the generator opens and the PCM detects that the initial startup current flow has stopped.

The PCM expects to detect low voltage on the L terminal circuit prior to the generator rotating at operating speed and conversely expects the circuit to be at ignition voltage potential when the generator is operational. When the PCM detects a fault (circuit shorted to ground, or circuit shorted to a voltage), this DTC will set.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ whered you copy that from?....

the wire you ripped is called the excitor wire, and yes you need it...it tells the car to charge the battery so go get it replaced
Old 07-30-2007, 08:38 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by staringback05

the wire you ripped is called the excitor wire, and yes you need it...it tells the car to charge the battery so go get it replaced
No it is called the L terminal circuit.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mmm...the wires not called a terminal circuit...its called the excitor wire, i can get a gm catalog link, numerous other peoples post on here, or a mechanics perspective if you'd like that....

ive ripped it out, gone to gm said "i need an excitor wire" and got it right away....
Old 07-30-2007, 09:05 AM
9 Second Club

mmm...the wires not called a terminal circuit...its called the excitor wire, i can get a gm catalog link, numerous other peoples post on here, or a mechanics perspective if you'd like that....

ive ripped it out, gone to gm said "i need an excitor wire" and got it right away....
I work with Gm products daily. It is called the L terminal circuit via the GM Tech II. Yes its main purpose is to excite the generator field.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

No kidding man...thanx for that info. But seriously where did u get that from? and when u say replace it...do u mean the clip ...i just went to gm and they just gave me the harness clip with a pigtail on it. not a continuous wire to pcm?

thanx again for the info
Old 07-30-2007, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JonSS_Tex
But seriously where did u get that from?
My factory service manual.

Originally Posted by JonSS_Tex
I just went to gm and they just gave me the harness clip with a pigtail on it. not a continuous wire to pcm?
If they sold you a pigtail then you want to solder it to the wire where it ripped off. You could use a butt (crimp) connector, but I wouldn't reecommend it. I had my alternator replaced under warranty and the tech used a butt connector and I kept getting a pending P1637 code. I finally got my *** up off of the couch and soldered it. No code now.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wire and coil fall under different nomeclature. They are seperate in ever power system diagram you will see. L comes from inductance as this is an AC machine.

Either way, it is not worth fighting about.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1_TA_2002
My factory service manual.

If they sold you a pigtail then you want to solder it to the wire where it ripped off. You could use a butt (crimp) connector, but I wouldn't reecommend it. I had my alternator replaced under warranty and the tech used a butt connector and I kept getting a pending P1637 code. I finally got my *** up off of the couch and soldered it. No code now.
I fixed the prob. Thanks for you help bro! I was asking where you got the info from because I could not find anything for it.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

I just bought one from ebay......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...102360706&rd=1

Quick Reply: What does the wire harness that clips to alternator go to? Please read!