General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cylinders 2-4-6-8 misfiring all at once??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinders 2-4-6-8 misfiring all at once??

im gonna try to make this story as quick as possible: my car has been kicking and bucking and dumping a lot of fuel so my dad brought it back to my mechanic in my home city (im away at college) and when it got there it was running fine and he couldnt ever get it to act up... so my dad started to bring it back and 10 mins outside of the city started doing the exact same thing... so he brought it back to the mechanic again and he plugged it into the scanner and showed that 2-4-6-8 were misfiring... my dad told me that he looked for something electrical and plugged something in that was coming out and it started working again... well on the way back up to lubbock my car starts acting up again...

so right now i have the car, still misfiring, and im wondering if whatever he plugged back in came out? or if it was just dumb luck that it started working right after he plugged it in... what should i be looking for and where? what would cause the car to misfire all on that passenger side? something controlling all of the coil packs? or all of the fuel injectors?
Old 10-14-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

well you said it was dumping a lot of fuel so I doubt it is your injectors but I could be wrong. Start looking at all of the wiring on that side. the coil packs have their own harness that sits right on top of the valve cover, four plugs come down to the packs and one bigger plug is sitting right above the coils in the middle of the cover. They should all have blue locking tabs to keep them from coming loose. I can't remember if the fuel injectors have their own harness or not but check the plugs on those too. Make sure none of the connectors have water in them or are corroded either.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camaroguy26
well you said it was dumping a lot of fuel so I doubt it is your injectors but I could be wrong. Start looking at all of the wiring on that side. the coil packs have their own harness that sits right on top of the valve cover, four plugs come down to the packs and one bigger plug is sitting right above the coils in the middle of the cover. They should all have blue locking tabs to keep them from coming loose. I can't remember if the fuel injectors have their own harness or not but check the plugs on those too. Make sure none of the connectors have water in them or are corroded either.
the blue tab that keeps the coil pack harness thing from coming out is broken... but its all the way plugged in right now, i even had someone hold it down while i turned the car on and its still misfiring... all of the plugs going to the seperate coil packs look good too
Old 10-14-2007, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

2 4 6 & 8 all are on the same bank, check your O2 sensers on that side
Old 10-14-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to agree with the o2 sensor. I would also check the connector for all the coilpacks on that side. You said the blue snap is broke, but I would get some electronics cleaner and spray the connector out, and would also check for any bent pins on it also. I have seen bent pins in there before cause the same thing. If you were going to lose an injector or coil pack, it wouldn't be an entire side.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
I would have to agree with the o2 sensor. I would also check the connector for all the coilpacks on that side. You said the blue snap is broke, but I would get some electronics cleaner and spray the connector out, and would also check for any bent pins on it also. I have seen bent pins in there before cause the same thing. If you were going to lose an injector or coil pack, it wouldn't be an entire side.
You may also get you a tube of electronic grease, after you clean your connectors put a little on the pins. I cleaned all the connectors with cleaner and greased every connector I could ( O2's, coils, plugs, MAF, PCM & etc.)
Old 10-15-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok to update on the problem a little more, i just noticed there are little droplets of some black liquid coming out of my tail pipe... and im confused...
Old 10-15-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gotta ask, is the SES on? Hard to believe you're not throwing any codes.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Gotta ask, is the SES on? Hard to believe you're not throwing any codes.
yes i am, scanning that showed cylinders 2-4-6-8 misfire
Old 10-16-2007, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

Did you check the O2 sensor on that bank? It could be telling the pcm that side is is not getting enough fuel and senting to much. Does whatever that is coming out of the pipe smell like fuel?
Old 10-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Launching!

if the o2 thing doesnt work, try switching the coilpacks over from one side to the other to see if the problem moves
Old 10-16-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read through the diagnostics for P0300, maybe you'll find something. www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic9033.php