General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Valvetrain noise and adjusting rockers

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valvetrain noise and adjusting rockers

I have a constant ticking in my engine specifically coming from cylinder #1 (used a screwdriver stethoscope). The tick changes in speed directly in proportion to engine speed. I think this is a loose rocker (correct assumption?). Now I have never been inside an engine (if this is considered inside) but I want to do this myself if its not too technical.

Now for the questions...
1) Is this just a matter of taking off the 4 bolts holding the valve cover on and then tightening a nut to adjust the rocker and then put back on valve cover to get rid of the ticking?

2) Do I need any special tools for this or just something to take the bolts off the valve cover?

3) Will I need any special parts...or should I be able to reuse anything that I might have to take off (gaskets)?

4) What is the easiset method for someone with limited experience to do this (I was reading on sh.box and saw some methods but they dont go as in depth as I would like)?

5) If I only need to adjust the 1 rocker, how much time should this take to complete?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as far as i know the ls1 does not have adjustable rockers, could be something fell in through the oil cap any engine codes
Old 10-16-2007, 06:59 AM
On The Tree

I have an LT1 not an LS1. Thanks though.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here ya go:
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#adjust_valves
Old 10-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Follow the link, do it right the 1st time, if you preload the rocker while not in the correct timing event, when the engine runs, it could hurt the lifter.

The motor needs to be @ #1 TDC, if you move the crank the rockers should have ZERO movement, another helper can help verify this, No special tools, the gaskets are reuseable, you may have to move the AIR fitting but that easy. The main thing is to take any slack out of the rod and go 1/4 to a 1/2 turn more, each set up is different.

But if all is done to that spec, then your fine.

No bear in mind LT1 Valve trains are NOISEY, if you have aftermarket stuff, that could be 90% of the reason, if you adjust the valve and still have this issue, it could be a fubared cam lobe. It happend on my bud's 93 t/a, a ticking sound and when the cam was removed it showed the score marks.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

o hahahah my bad silly me but goodluck
Old 10-17-2007, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

I am torn between trying to do this with the engine running (according to the directions on sh.box) and doing it not running. I am pretty certain that only my #1 is loose (used a screwdriver aganist the valve cover near bolt and that was the only cylinder ticking).

According to the instructions it sounds like doing it with the motor running would be easier.

In your opinion what is the easiest for someone doing this the first time engine running or off (and if off which way)?

Is there any specific disadvantage to doing it either way...messier etc. Since this is my first time taking the valve covers off...how messy is this?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always adjusted valves to zero lash + 1/2 turn with the motor off and never had a problem, it's too messy with it running IMO and there's no real reason to do it that way.