General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

window problem *pics included*

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

Default window problem *pics included*

My drivers side window hasn't been working well for a while now. It would get stuck about half way up and I'd have to pull it the rest of the way, it would knock when I closed the door and it's never aligned properly. I decided to take the cover off the door and see what was wrong and this is what I saw.

I did a blind search in the door with my hand and all I found was an old plastic bottle cap. This is what happens when I roll the window up without physically guiding it.

And this is the window when the door is closed, it's too high.

The window misses the hook it's supposed to catch in the front and as you saw, that thing in the back is not connected either. I tried popping that thing back in but it seems like it won't fit. Any idea on how to fix this?

(There's a forest fire going on right now, that's what all that ash is from)
Old 10-21-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i hate that, my window goes up too high and won't shut flush with the door. need help on this as well!
Old 10-21-2007, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

in the second pic your window stabalizer is broke off GM part number 10257988
Old 10-22-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

any clues on this?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not going to be much help on the "fix" for this. However, when I bought my car the previous owner cautioned me against ever closing the door by pushing on the glass. He said he had broken something and had to have it fixed because of pushing on the glass to shut the door.

I'm going to assume that this is the end result of not heeding his warnings.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

I just had this fixed. I thought it was the regulator. There is a little channel piece with a wheel that guides the window up and down. Replaced that, the wheel was broken..up and down again..NP..my window was really loose as well. I could move it in and out like 3-4 inches
Old 10-22-2007, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

replace the broken part that the part number was given... and should fix ur problem
Old 10-22-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

mines doing the exact same thing. Looks exactly the same. I have been told you can weld the first picture back up. I'm kinda hesitant to weld it though. Fixing the first picture will solve your problem
Old 10-22-2007, 11:32 PM
11 Second Club

there is a plastic peice on the end and heck its less then 20 bucks from gm and they should stock it
Old 10-23-2007, 02:44 AM
TECH Resident

i HAVE to close my door by pushing on the window to shut it flush. it hasn't broken anything. if there was a way to fix that then i'd do it. but if i don't close the door by pushing on the window then it won't shut flush.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

bumppp
Old 10-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98mysticZ
replace the broken part that the part number was given... and should fix ur problem
After replacing that part you need to go through the painstaking process of realigning the window. I had my old Z broken into and they had to fix the outer door panel, well they took the door apart and never attempted to align the window after. Needless to say after a good rainstorm I had 1 inch of water on the driver side floor. That musty water smell is almost impossible to get out so don't let it happen at all costs.

For the window adjustment. I believe there are 4 bolts (1 on the left and right, and 2 in the middle) Use these to adjust the height and angle of the window (front to back, and up and down). The middle adjustments on the arm of the window motor. There are stop bar adjustments that can be made as well (there is a stop that will not let the window go up any more. Adjust theses if needed. Also the guides on the top of the door may need adjustment. I currently have one of these lose and banging around .

Raise the window and close the door until it is sealed all the way around. you may want to water test it too just in case.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kaos_
i HAVE to close my door by pushing on the window to shut it flush. it hasn't broken anything. if there was a way to fix that then i'd do it. but if i don't close the door by pushing on the window then it won't shut flush.
Listen to what's above and align your glass, or have it done.

You keep using the window like that and you're gonna hose up the alignment worse or split your door.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys. At least the stabilizer is an easy fix, already ordered a replacement for that one. I think I'll take it to a shop this weekend and have them weld the stud back on, I like working on my car and all, but I don't mix well with power tools.