General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gas Octane questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Octane questions

Hail,

I was arguing with an co worker of mine regarding 91, 89, 87 octane. He ask me why do I need to put 91 octane on your Camaro. His questions was that " is 91 octane a necissity for your vehicle and this guy uses 87 on his 2007 lexus. What's your guys thought on this?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you need to run 91 octane in your car because it was tuned from the factory to run on 91. If you put lower octane gas in it will absolutely run, but the computer will pull timing to avoid detonation which will reduce power output. Plenty of info on this board about octane and what it is/does, do some searches and you'll have lots of ammunition to back up your argument with your coworker.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Default yes and no

i dont know about how they come tuned but i tuned mine with a hypertec to run on 87 this will decrease my power a bit but i think i have enough and gas costs enough $$$. if you run 87 when its tuned to 91 it will create a pinging sound beacuse the gas isent igniteing on time. this is very hard on your. car if you ever start to hear these run it on 91 right away
Old 10-24-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason LS1/LT1 engines call for premium fuel is because of the high compression ratio, which makes them more likely to knock. The higher octane fuel has higher knock resistence. And as was said before, these engines CAN run on 87 octane, but this will result in reduced power.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Different vehicles/engines are different - go with the recommended fuel octane in the owners manual. I run 93, it's only about 10 cents difference/gal.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Even if you pull timing you won't make good power on low test. It is all about compression ratio.

Another misconception is people with **** cars think putting high test will magically transform their car. Waste of money.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=452828
Old 10-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Hmmmm, so basicalyy, The higher the octane of the gas - the harder it is to ignite?
Old 10-24-2007, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TantalizingSS
Hail,

I was arguing with an co worker of mine regarding 91, 89, 87 octane. He ask me why do I need to put 91 octane on your Camaro. His questions was that " is 91 octane a necissity for your vehicle and this guy uses 87 on his 2007 lexus. What's your guys thought on this?
He sounds like another uppity snooty, knows NOTHING about cars, Lexus lemming. I sense (but could be wrong) an attitude of ,"well my 'epitome of perfection' Lexus only needs 87, so why does your P.O.S., mulletmobile lowly Chevy need 91?" F*** the yuppiedrone, use 91 and then show him why by blasting his TOYota's doors off!!
Old 10-24-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TantalizingSS
Hmmmm, so basicalyy, The higher the octane of the gas - the harder it is to ignite?
in the world of compression yes. its really that 87 ignites faster when it is being compressed, than 92. 92 is able to be compressed more than 87 before igniting.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

The Lexus must be lower than 10:1 compression then. Lower the compression, less octane is needed in Naturally Aspirated vehicles.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Another misconception is people with **** cars think putting high test will magically transform their car. Waste of money.
Gas companies are largely to blame for that, they make people think that premium is somehow "better" than regular through marketing, and you just cannot tell some people otherwise. Most people don't know anything about cars.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

So since our engine compression is above 10 to 1 and if I want to throw in a Supercharger, the motor has to run very low amounts of boost?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

I think thats why motors made specifically for boost applications have low compression numbers. Because once that boost is added the compression actually rises.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:23 AM
10 Second Club

What most people don't understand about octane is that the higher the rating the better it's ability to resist pre-ignition. It doesn't give you more power just because it's 93 vs 87.

Diesel engines operate by heat of compression. As the piston moves upward on the compression stroke the temperature in the combustion chamber rises. It's this rise in temperature alone that ignites the fuel and air mixture, because there is no spark plug to ignite it.

In gasoline engines we do NOT want this to happen. We need the fuel to be stable enough to withstand the heat and the amount it's being compressed so we have as much of the fuel there to ignite when the spark plug fires.

To put it simply if your engine is running fine with no pinging or knock-retard on 87, then you will see no gains or benefit from running 93. If you have an engine like an LS1, or other engine with higher compression and more aggressive timing tables, you will need to run higher octane.

Now here is where a lot of people get lost...the most power is made using the lowest octane without seeing pre-ignition. Use higher than you need, and you could actually lose power. I get funny looks from old school guys all the time when I tell them my 11.34-1 SCR heads/cam car runs perfect on 93, and that I have NEVER ran "racing" fuel in it.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Formula413
Gas companies are largely to blame for that, they make people think that premium is somehow "better" than regular through marketing, and you just cannot tell some people otherwise. Most people don't know anything about cars.
Are you talking about the Shell commercials underwater with everything fine and dandy because you used V-Power? You know that you are saving 1000s of clownfish each time you fill up with V-Power!

The only thing I can think of is that with cheaper gas there might be buffers that they use to cheapen it up. Like methanol or some other chemical. [Would that be cheaper though?] That would be the only way you might be less MPG from low test. But that means there are variables in this. Not comparing the same thing...
Old 10-27-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
What most people don't understand about octane is that the higher the rating the better it's ability to resist pre-ignition. It doesn't give you more power just because it's 93 vs 87.

Diesel engines operate by heat of compression. As the piston moves upward on the compression stroke the temperature in the combustion chamber rises. It's this rise in temperature alone that ignites the fuel and air mixture, because there is no spark plug to ignite it.

In gasoline engines we do NOT want this to happen. We need the fuel to be stable enough to withstand the heat and the amount it's being compressed so we have as much of the fuel there to ignite when the spark plug fires.

To put it simply if your engine is running fine with no pinging or knock-retard on 87, then you will see no gains or benefit from running 93. If you have an engine like an LS1, or other engine with higher compression and more aggressive timing tables, you will need to run higher octane.

Now here is where a lot of people get lost...the most power is made using the lowest octane without seeing pre-ignition. Use higher than you need, and you could actually lose power. I get funny looks from old school guys all the time when I tell them my 11.34-1 SCR heads/cam car runs perfect on 93, and that I have NEVER ran "racing" fuel in it.
Excellent post, should be a sticky. Especially the last point, that is very true even though it might seem counter intuitive.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Are you talking about the Shell commercials underwater with everything fine and dandy because you used V-Power? You know that you are saving 1000s of clownfish each time you fill up with V-Power!

The only thing I can think of is that with cheaper gas there might be buffers that they use to cheapen it up. Like methanol or some other chemical. [Would that be cheaper though?] That would be the only way you might be less MPG from low test. But that means there are variables in this. Not comparing the same thing...
That's true, it's not always comparing apples to apples, because they may use more/different additives in their premium gas so they can pass it off as "better" rather than just different in application.

I haven't seen that commercial you're talking about but that sounds like something they would say. If you really want to help the environment, use the gas that will run most efficiently in your car. Better mileage=less pollution.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Lower the compression, less octane is needed in Naturally Aspirated vehicles.

You will lose power and MPG if you run higher octane in an engine that only needs 87.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

If your friend can afford a '07 Lexus and uses 87 octane gas, he's probably just a cheap ***hole! My brother's '05 Audi states 91 octane fuel only. I bet your friend's car does too. 91 octane fuel is all that touches my '98 transam.