General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Transmission Fluid Change

I plan on getting my A4 serviced soon, the car has 56k miles on it, will it hurt to have the transmission fluid replaced with the filter? I heard that flushing the trannies can sometimes cause them to break down due to the pressurized solvents they use to flush the automatic transmission. More or less just need a recommendation. Better to take it to the dealer or a local shop?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as its not slipping or acting funny yet, you should be fine. Once the fluid gets dirty beyond a certain point it will hurt it to do the flush, general rule for cutoff is around 100k if its never been flushed before, unless its already slipping.

Theres no more pressure than your trans puts out by itself when they flush it. they hook up a machine to your cooler lines and it interrupts the flow of fluid, putting clean **** back in. Youre supposed to put a chemical and run it through the gears for 5 min before hand to break any sludge down, but most shops are lazy and wont mess with it.

The only diff. between a dealer and a local shop is the price. There are some really horrible crooked dealer service centers out there, just as there are local shops that are horrible. My advice is read up on all the local shops around you on the bbb or citysearch and find a place, dealer or otherwise, that has a decent reputation. Also make sure they dont use some cheap nasty atf, find someone thats using something like Valvoline or Castrol. Valvoline's maxlife atf is pretty good ****.

Is this the first time you've flushed it? Forget the service interval, you should be flushing that thing like every 20-25k. 4l60e's suck.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Yeah it would be the first time.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had my car for 3yrs now, got it with 46k now it has 65k. i took my car in to the dealership on monday had the trans serviced (filter changed). my fluid wasnt dirty to begin with.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Please note, there is a difference between changing fluid and filter versus flushing the system.
If you just change the fluid and filter there is some old fluid left in the converter and coolant lines. Just an FYI.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

+1. Filter change will get you 3 new quarts. Flush will get you 12-14 new quarts.

Trans fluid is just like oil. You dont wait until it turns into sludge to change it. When its burnt is when its too late, damage has been done. Its either maintain it regularly and keep the same tranny for a long time, or get used to changing them out around every 100-150k miles.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

me personally i dont do flushes
i drop the pan change the filter and fil it up w/ new fluid
the reason that tranny fluid IS NOT like engine oil is the ''dirty'' fluid looks that way from clutch material deposits, unlike oil where its just dirty
unless your running the tranny hot and its burning the fluid.
if it looks pretty clean drop the pan change filter top off
if it looks or smells burned you have bigger problems
Old 10-26-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Is there a write up on how to do it yourself???
Old 10-26-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 5301113
Is there a write up on how to do it yourself???
Here ya go:
http://ken.lowrance.com/Projects/TRF...TRFluidChg.htm
Old 10-26-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Awesome Thanks
Old 10-26-2007, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 3rdgentug
me personally i dont do flushes
i drop the pan change the filter and fil it up w/ new fluid
the reason that tranny fluid IS NOT like engine oil is the ''dirty'' fluid looks that way from clutch material deposits, unlike oil where its just dirty
unless your running the tranny hot and its burning the fluid.
if it looks pretty clean drop the pan change filter top off
if it looks or smells burned you have bigger problems
Tranny fluid is not like engine oil in the sense that their is not any blowby or carbon deposits or anything like that. What they have in common is heat. ALL the fluids in your vehicle from oil, trans, diff, powersteering, coolant, brake/clutch break down from heat. The amount of time it takes is different, but the result is the same. Heat breaks down fluid, fluid does not lubricate, damage is caused. If trans fluid only looked dirty from clutch material deposits, then you've gone waaaay to long on changing the filter. ATF will break down, leave sludge, and kill your transmission.

Thats why you need to change ALL of the transmission fluid regularly. It needs to be changed before it gets burnt and dirty and creates a problem. And as weak and sensitive as a GM transmission is, sitting behind a lt/ls motor, 50k as a service interval is way too long. Just the same as 5yrs/100k is too long an interval for dexcool.

You dont even have to take it in to a service shop to have it done. All you need is 1 friend, 2 5gal buckes, 4 gal of atf, some extra hose, and some ingenuity .
Old 10-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

I have a 97 Lincoln Mark VII as my primary car and I learned that tranny fluid breaks down by 40,000 miles due to the environmentally freindly nature of it over recent years. I have never changed the tranny fluid on a regular basis before this and I have had one car that had at least 650,000 miles on it with no tranny problems (a 77 Lincoln Town Coupe) along with other older cars with high milage. When my Mark VIII started bucking and slipping up hill at 45,000 miles I found out about it. Luckily no damage was done and it is still going at 120,000 miles (opps, I'm due!). I have on 18,500 miles on my Trans Am but before I reach 40,000 miles (probably 30,000 due to the power of the engine) I will have it flushed and changed. It is now as important as an oil change. John.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change