General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Orange fluid leak/water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Orange fluid leak/water pump?

I noticed a little orange fluid on my garage floor today. It looks like Dexcool. After looking under the car I noticed a little of it on the sway bar and resting on the area behind my ASP pulley. Is this coming from the water pump weep hole? Or is my gasket just shot? It seems to only leak when it's hot, and I hear no water pump noise. It is the orginal (64,000 mile) water pump. Not sure if the gasket was replaced after the last cam swap either. I checked all the hoses and the radiator and noticed no leaks. The only fluid I see is where I mentioned. Any help would be great before I go ahead and change the water pump out.

Thanks!

Last edited by SSNISTR; 11-07-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

sounds like the water pump. Mines doing the same thing, gonna replace it.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ultraz
sounds like the water pump. Mines doing the same thing, gonna replace it.
I figured that, just want more opinions. Might just be the gasket, but if I'm gonna pull it apart I'm gonna swap the gasket and water pump.

I can swap my 160 T stat out with the one that will come on the new pump w/o any issues right?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

I don't think water pumps come with a new thermostat.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Abe99
I don't think water pumps come with a new thermostat.
Oh, I thought they came with a new pulley and T stat. I wanna use my 160 anyway....
Old 11-06-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

My pump kit comes with gaskets, the dome pulley, and thermostat. This was coming from GM parts direct, but the dealers I checked with said the same thing.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:38 AM
Staging Lane

Don't waste your time changing gaskets only. The gasket that needs changed it inside the water pump and as a general rule you should never try to rebuild a water pump....it will just leak worse when you put it back in.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to verify that it's coming from the water pump you'll have to get under it with at powerful flashlight while it's running and up to temp (pressurized). Follow the leaks and drips back to the source. For me it was easy as it was a HUGE leak.

Chances are good that the gasket will be FUBARed when you take off the water pump anyway. Use the gasket that comes with the kit. I got a standard replacement pump at the parts store and it's been working just fine for the last year or so.

BTW, that gasket was the hardest sumbich to get off I've ever seen.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the replys guys.

Here is what I have found. It only leaks when the thing is hot. I cleaned the puddle up, it sat all night, barely a drip. Then I started it up, let it idle for maybe 15 minutes. When I checked under it a few hours later there was a little fluid. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if the pump was bad wouldn't it make noise or leak 24/7???? After speaking to a buddy about it, he seems pretty sure it is the gasket due to shrinkage when it gets hot. Also, I did two cam swaps last year, not sure if a new gasket was put on the second time. So the gasket seems like it might be the issue? What do you all think?

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2007, 10:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2006vette
Don't waste your time changing gaskets only. The gasket that needs changed it inside the water pump and as a general rule you should never try to rebuild a water pump....it will just leak worse when you put it back in.
I was refering to the gasket between the pump and block. Not any inside the pump....
Old 11-07-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Water pumps leak from the shaft seal, and leak through the weep hole. You may/may not be able to see the weep hole. I got close but could not eyeball it precisely.

The water pump leaks when the system is at temp and PRESSURIZED. Mine didn't make a peep. No squeal. No nuthin'. Just a leak when at temp.

Expect a water pump change, but since you did your own work previously who's to say.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
Water pumps leak from the shaft seal, and leak through the weep hole. You may/may not be able to see the weep hole. I got close but could not eyeball it precisely.

The water pump leaks when the system is at temp and PRESSURIZED. Mine didn't make a peep. No squeal. No nuthin'. Just a leak when at temp.

Expect a water pump change, but since you did your own work previously who's to say.
Yeah, I looked today and could see sooooo little coolant on the pump. But the gasket looked spotless. Guess maybe I just cought it really early. The area that I saw the coolant stain was on the bottom of the pump, kinda behind the pulley and it was a tiny, tiny looking hole if that was it. Either way, I could see a bit of coolant in that area. So I guess it will be time for a new pump ASAP.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine puked for the last time while in the Wal-Mart parking lot, which was fortunate since I could walk back in and get a gallon of A-Fr to investigate with. Wound up getting it flatbedded home for the transplant.

The one bright spot in it all was that a FINE looking redhead with a REAL short skirt parked across from me while this was going on (in a Camaro) and dropped her keys.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

Do the pumps not always leak? Seems like mine leaked that one time that I saw, not agian since? Maybe I just cought it early? Do these things once they start to leak not do it all the time? Just seems weird....
Old 11-08-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

depends whether you want to control the condition or drive it until it goes out completely and hope your are not too far away from home. I have been tempting fate for too Long, mine has the same problem.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSNISTR
I was refering to the gasket between the pump and block. Not any inside the pump....
Oh...I misunderstood you.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but if its leaking from the gasket between the pump and the block then the pump has to be bad. There is not supposed to be any fluid there at all. The gasket there to prevent metal on metal contact.

Last edited by 2006vette; 11-09-2007 at 03:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Orange fluid leak/water pump?