General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help Me My Firebird Is Making A Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me My Firebird Is Making A Noise

My car was driving all fine today... I get into it to drive my brother home...

I get about 1/4 mi and all of a sudden my car jolts sorta like if i had bad traction for a minute. and starts making this weird ve ve ve ve noise like on a vacumme if the belt broke, kinda whiney noise... sluggish and i cant reverse... what is wrong please help!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 06:15 AM
TECH Addict

Have you looked underneath the car? Sounds like a tranny problem of some sort. By the sounds your describing it sounds like somehow you broke something inside maybe. Also check and smell your tranny fluid to start.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:36 AM

ok cool thanks...

Ill try that.. and if it is a transmission problem what does that kind of thing cost to repair?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sexxyitalian86
ok cool thanks...

Ill try that.. and if it is a transmission problem what does that kind of thing cost to repair?
depends on whats wrong most rebuilds cost around 1500 bucks but you and get a built tranny for a wee more than that and if you have a 4l60e you might as well upgrade cuz the tranny is a slushbucket
Old 11-15-2007, 11:29 AM

Question

ok and so if it is the tranny, what would the upgrade be??

Also I forgot to mention about 5 months ago I blew my rear differential and had to have it fixed at 1,100$ and then it worked just fine... I dont know if it could possibly be the rear differential again??? would that cause the problems of acceleration slow and making that whining noise and not being able to reverse??? No warning lights have come on... Im taking it to the shop today if it will make it.. Do u recomend driving it to the nearest shop in its condition???

Thanks Megan
Old 11-15-2007, 03:48 PM

OK so it is the transmission (urk)!!!! They quoted me at 2yr/24k mi warranty on a rebuilt transmission or 3yr/100k at 2,390$... I dont have over 2k to drop on a transmission fix... What is a good price to pay on this problem I need advice super bad.. My family thinks i should fix it as cheap as i can and sell it get a diff car... The thing Is I love my car i would be heartbroken... I dont know what to do.... any suggestions???
Old 11-15-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If your car is in otherwise good shape mechanically wise and such and you love the car fix it and keep it. No sense in selling it. Put a new tranny in it and keep it.

Money-wise? Not sure what the running cost is on these things. Others can help you more in that arena.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Personally I think you are getting BUFU'D. Get a new, stronger performance tranny. I'd get a performabuilt tranny.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sexxyitalian86
OK so it is the transmission (urk)!!!! They quoted me at 2yr/24k mi warranty on a rebuilt transmission or 3yr/100k at 2,390$... I dont have over 2k to drop on a transmission fix... What is a good price to pay on this problem I need advice super bad.. My family thinks i should fix it as cheap as i can and sell it get a diff car... The thing Is I love my car i would be heartbroken... I dont know what to do.... any suggestions???
Buy a used transmission from someone on here and just pay them to install it.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Teching In

I agree i would just buy a performabuilt, they are more affordable the a transmission shop will cost to rebuild your old one, especially if all you need is a level 1!
Old 04-21-2008, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

23xx bucks is really high for a factory tranny rebuild

call around and see if you can get some better deals. even to have them pull and install it should only run about 1900. hope that helps