General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rough start in the cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Rough start in the cold

First off, this is a 3800 V6, not an LS1, I know many things are similar as far as ignition and fuel system goes though. I'm running on brand new plugs and wires and have seafoamed right before I changed them so all that is taken care of.

Now that the weather is getting colder I'm finding out how my car behaves in it. Apparently it isn't too happy starting up in the cold.

Now I either have a weepy injector or a seeping fuel pressure regulator (or something) because I noticed that after the car sits for awhile I have to turn the key to run, let the fuel pump run until it stops, turn key off and repeat, then start. Otherwise it just cranks and cranks and cranks then sputters and finally is fine. Not sure which it is but once it starts I'm good to go.

Anyway, in the cold I start it up and even after doing the prime, off, prime thing it still starts rather hard and rough. Let it warm up a couple minutes and it is good to go. So just startup is a little of a pain.

Anything I can do to clear this up so it starts easier? Or is it just the nature of the beast? I suppose tracking down the reason for no fuel pressure at the engine after sitting for awhile would help but I don't know where to start on that.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your fuel pump sounds like its about to go bye bye.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh really? Why? Car runs absolutely normal after startup... or is the pump the reason the fuel pressure falls off? Well if it is the pump I'm taking the back door approach to replacing it from the hatch, I'm not dropping that tank if I can avoid it.

Oh yeah something I forgot to mention, ever since I seafoamed when I first turn the key to run and the fuel pump kicks on there is this lower-toned "whiiiiiisshhh-tik" noise from the engine compartment, on the passenger side near the back half. Sounds kinda like rolling a medium-sized ball bearing down a tube. Any ideas what that could be? When I was fighting with the brake booster line I was pushing the fuel lines around some but it wasn't like I bent them over or anything, just flexed the rubber part a little. When the engine is warm and I go to start it that noise isn't there.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it could still be a fuel pump issue. Reason being when the car is warm there is still plenty of fuel pressure/fuel in the lines. When the car is cold have someone key it up and hit the schraeder valve and see if you have adequate fuel pressure at the rail. Hope that helps.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ouch, looking at around $300. I don't have that kind of money right now if it is the pump, hopefully it'll behave itself for awhile until I can afford it (like, until summer....)

I'll check the fuel pressure at the valve, I'm pretty sure I do have a loss of pressure after it sits (not sure what else it would be that would make it crank for awhile after sitting) but maybe it is just something else like a fitting isn't tight or something and that is what I'm hearing.... *wishful thinking*
Old 12-01-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the pressure with a gauge, it should be 48-54 ignition on - car off.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sure sounds like the pump... the pump has a 1 way check valve in it that holds the fuel pressure in the lines and keeps fuel in the lines after the car is shut off. If that 1 way check valve goes bad the fuel system will loose pressure as soon as you shut it off and all the fuel will drain back into the tank. So the next morning when you go to start it you are basically re-priming the entire fuel system by cranking the car until the fuel finally reaches the fuel rail. Eventually the pump itself will burn out because its being run for several seconds on every cold start with no fuel it.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Check the pressure with a gauge, it should be 48-54 ignition on - car off.
Sorry for being a noob but what type of gauge? I don't have a garage full of tools and a brain full of car know-how like many here (I'm a computer and electronics guy who is learning about cars and such). Do I check the pressure at the schraeder valve?
Old 12-01-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Fuel pressure gauge, and you're correct, check it at the fuel rail. I'd connect it and see what it is after cycling the key a few times to get the highest reading - then turn the key off leaving it connected to see if you're losing pressure over time. They're not expensive. Not sure how much drop if any is acceptable - I'll look in my Helms.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Where do I find one? I went to autozone's and advance auto's sites and all I was coming up with were gauges to mount in the car but not any to just hook up to the valve and test with. I feel like an idiot lol.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

For the 3.8 my helms says "The fuel pressure may vary slightly if the fuel pump stops running. After the fuel pump stops running, the fuel pressure should stabilize and remain constant. Monitor the fuel pressure gauge for 1 minute." Then goes on with further diagnostics...
Old 12-02-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK here is a quick video of what it does. Turn your sound up a little, I don't have performance exhaust on this V6 so it is harder to hear

Now this wasn't as bad as it has been, this is moderate. Usually it is worse than that.

Where can I pick up a fuel pressure gauge to test my pressure with?

Last edited by SparkyJJO; 12-02-2007 at 10:34 PM.