General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Why my car doesn't get hot??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why my car doesn't get hot??

My temp gauge used to be always in the middle but after i took the car to a dealership for water pump, heater core, etc replaced, temp never went to middle. it always stays at 25% or cooler. wtf? My heater doesn't work and I flushed my heater, I fixed the leak and still nothing. I also replaced my thermostat yesterday (180*) and still nothing. seriously what is going on? any ideas?

thanks.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by doodad
My temp gauge used to be always in the middle but after i took the car to a dealership for water pump, heater core, etc replaced, temp never went to middle. it always stays at 25% or cooler. wtf? My heater doesn't work and I flushed my heater, I fixed the leak and still nothing. I also replaced my thermostat yesterday (180*) and still nothing. seriously what is going on? any ideas?

thanks.
if the dealership replaced your heater core, and now your heater doesnt work, id be going back to the dealership...
Old 01-16-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like your thermostat is stuck in the open position. Whenever that happened with my cars the heater would blow cold air and the torque converters wouldn't lock up.

Edit: I noticed that you said you replaced the water pump. Maybe there is air in the lines or something??

Last edited by Tuffguy610; 01-16-2008 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Water Pump
Old 01-16-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I suspect you have air in the lines (it was not bled properly) I'd be taking it back to the dealership.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

dealership replaced it like almost 2 years ago in GA. i personally replaced the thermostat yesterday with autozone 180* one. i did use 2 bleeders and let the air out of the system untill coolant came out of the bleeders and then closed them. my gauge is stil the same. when i sit and let the car idle for a while it goes to middle or very very slighly above but once i start to drive the gauge goes down to 1/4 and stays there. man I am sick of it, i need heat, it is very cold here!

How can I diagnose if the thermostat is open or close?

thanks guys.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

New thermostat = OK
Stuck open = heat at long idle but no heat while air is flowing through radiator at speed.
Stuck close = car immediately over heats and steam shoots out.
Likely problem is in the heater temp control. There is the selector switch and the water valve. Could be a vacuum leak or a stuck valve.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

even a new thermostat doesnt always work, but its like a 1 in a million chance two wouldnt work for you, doesnt make sense though...id have to agree with the heater temp control
Old 01-17-2008, 03:21 AM
12 Second Club

I know that when I use to have my grand prix and I had a 180* t-stat my car wouldn't get very warm in the winter. I would change it back to the 195 and then the car would heat up and the heater would blow hot air. With the 180* in the air would just be a little bit warm. Try putting a 195 in. Could very well be that the new one isn't working right and it is staying open.

Just thought I would add my experience with running a 180* t-stat in the winter months.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by doodad
dealership replaced it like almost 2 years ago in GA.
So you have been dealing with this problem for two years and never thought to take it back to where the work was done!?

Quick Reply: Why my car doesn't get hot??