General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

anyone ever did a before and after Dyno... Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone ever did a before and after Dyno... Seafoam

Topic should also say ever Do

just curious if anyone has ever done that to see what power was revitalized.

reason being. i seafoamed my car. 2nd times ive done it first time. had hardly any smoke note i didnt use near as much was skeptical. i did it again recently after about another 20k miles. anyhow this time i had a mushroom cloud type smoke lol lots of it when i jumped on the gas. also i sprayed some actually on the throttole control springs the deep creep. and half a can into the intake. also used some MAF cleaner on the MAF first time ever.

and now for first time ever. im breaking traction in 2nd gear. not only that but ive never broke traction while doing a roll from 40ish and at like 55ish my backend started to slide and rpm shot up after loosing traction.

could i have really been loosing that much power? between the 2nd seafoam,and the maf cleaning.

also when i sprayed the throttle springs beside the maf.. wow its so responsive now and easy to press the pedal. advice anyone else who has to do it.

anyhow id just like to see what gains in HP you would get from Power lost to Gunk and carbon buildup

Last edited by GXPPOWER; 02-14-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, how much power you've recovered entirely depends on how dirty the engine was initially. If you're feeling a difference, I'd say you have recovered a few ponies.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well again just now from a slow roll at about 39 mph at the bottom of second once rpm began to climb i again am breaking traction.

one other thing i forgot. my car was dyno tuned for 93 octane. the guy tuned it as far as possible without having any KR. well for last year ive had to drive with 91 octane. and on the same day i seafoamed found a station selling 93 octane. so ive been using it again. i guess just the compilation of maintenance and better octane to what i was tuned for has given me back power i forgot i had lol
Old 02-14-2008, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Its funny because i havent seafoamed and probably wont for a while, but when i was shopping for a z i test drove several that had around 45kish miles and they had trouble breaking traction in 2nd, they were all M6's...The one i just bought has 30k miles and will slip all through 1st, second and slip/chirp at the beginning of third...i never thought it had enough power to do it in third going like 70 until i did it yesterday. its pretty much stock, has a lid and cat back i think, just bought it 2 weeks ago...ive been skeptical about seafoaming it, how many miles did your have on it both times?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your supposed to seafoam you car every 10k miles, its completley safe too, no need to be skeptical, just search the forums for seafoam
Old 02-14-2008, 07:22 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ever think of the fact that maybe your tires have less tread on them, the road you're driving on is slicker due to heat, rain, etc... If all reality you probably lost some miniscule amount of power from the seafoam. All that carbon build up on the pistons helps reduce quench distance and increases compression marginally.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:25 PM
11 Second Club

^^^ not if his maf was dirty and reading incorrectly.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

The biggest thing I have seen with seafoam is throttle response. Maybe some marginal power gains if your **** was in bad shape. But just remember, if you gain throttle response the car is going to feel quicker all the way around. It's sorta deceiving but never a bad thing lol. I would be curious to see some dyno numbers on cars around 100k miles that had never been seafoamed before. I have seen a few people that have clogged their cats by seafoaming a little too often. But there stuff looked like a space shuttle launch on the first time around.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Honestly, it was probably the MAF cleaner that made the biggest difference. I need to do it in my car bad.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well my maf didnt look bad. though im starting to think it was more going back to 93 octane sense that was what i was tuned for.

andthrottle responce i was talking about the throttle itself is smoother and less effort for me to push down.

and seafoam cant clog cats... when you dont have any ^^

my car had about 70ishk and 80ishk when i seafoamed.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:13 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jessedale98
^^^ not if his maf was dirty and reading incorrectly.
That's why I only said, "If all reality you probably lost some miniscule amount of power from the seafoam."
Old 02-15-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

If your MAF is dirty you're not going to be able to see it. If it was dirty it can make a big difference. Also, if your car has been tuned for 93 I wouldn't run 91. That's just asking for problems. If it was me and I couldn't consistently find 93 I'd either go back to the factory tune or get it tuned for 91.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Ur not supposed to use any type of putroleum based product on your maf cuz its going to screw it up. use a lil bit of rubbing achol on the end of a que tip to clean the maff endings and wires just be extremely carefull.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mattraypharbor
Ur not supposed to use any type of putroleum based product on your maf cuz its going to screw it up. use a lil bit of rubbing achol on the end of a que tip to clean the maff endings and wires just be extremely carefull.

They actually sell a product specifically designed to clean maf sensors. Its surprisingly called mass air flow sensor cleaner. Dont be ******* around with sticking anything around your maf sensor parts cause if you accidentally mess up a wire you just saved yourself about -265.00 dollars by not buying the 6 dollar can of spray. The spray works really well too.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

i had a 97z28 (A4) R.I.P. that would bark a tire goin into 3rd. i completley threw the *** end around in a wet parking lot at 75mph on christmas at the mall i missed a pole by like 2ft. i've seafoamed my 96 ss and it dont have nothing on that 97z. my friends all say that the 97z was just built on a good day. i did notice a big difference when i seafoamed it mostly in the smell of my exhaust tho.

Last edited by Powder96SS; 02-18-2008 at 07:49 AM. Reason: typos
Old 02-18-2008, 08:17 AM
12 Second Club

Yah id say that kinda difference was probably going back to the 93 octane. I bet you also got all the smoke from the maf cleaner. Mine smokes a ton when I use maf or tb cleaner. I've never tried using seafoam though. I just use a motorvac on my fuel rails and that makes an enormous difference. I guess im just a chicken to use that stuff even though alot of people use that on here and swear by it. But I dont feel I need to use it. If you want to make a bigger difference change your fuel filter one day. You would be surprised to see what the difference in power and mpg you can get back. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Every car would be different. I've never seen a before and after dyno of a 100K+ LS1 but what would be the point? Say I see you gain ten hp after seafoam so I go get excited and seafoam my car and gain nothing! Some people would seafoam when they didn't need it, use too much, or do it too often.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:45 AM
Banned

i've been wanting to do it to my car but idk if i should yet
Old 02-19-2008, 02:54 AM
TECH Addict

I seafoamed my car a couple weeks ago. I don't know if it helped restore any power, but it idles smoother than it used to. When I cleaned my MAF, I noticed a pretty good difference in throttle response and it wasn't really all that dirty. I think I need to spray some more deep creep into my intake sometime soon though. It was absolutely filthy the first time I did it and I noticed a big difference in idle when I did it by itself before seafoaming the rest of my car. I might take my TB off sometime soon and just give it a good thorough cleaning and spray the deep creep into the intake a little better too.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i did the maf clean after. cleaning your maf isnt gonna create smoke. none that would be noticeable lol. you cant mistake seafoam smoke for smoke coming from cleaning a MAF.

and not everyone can just change tunes on a dime. esp when i was dynotuned about 800 miles away. and had no choice once i moved to use 91 octane. anyhow found a staion selling 93 so no worries now.

yea i bought the CRC MAF cleaner stuff. it evaporates almost instantly also. part of why its so great it soaks in and evaporates the carbon off. because your playing with Fire using ANYTHING to physically touch your MAF sensors.

the car is still running super peppy after the seafoam,maf,93 change.

and i did a fuel filter change 4-5 months ago.

Last edited by GXPPOWER; 02-19-2008 at 04:54 PM.

Quick Reply: anyone ever did a before and after Dyno... Seafoam