See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

window motor dead. how to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 06:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window motor dead. how to replace?

hi, so at 59k my drivers side window motor finally died. i really dont know what to do or where to start now because i've never done automatic window work before. where do i buy the parts? is this an easy fix or should i have it done for me? how much am i looking to spend here on parts and labor? please help. thanks
Old 02-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Get the motor at AutoZone $54.00 lifetime warranty. E-Bay motors are cheaper but then you have to deal with shipping.
Here is the install guide.
http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

Also do a search on these forums, there are some helpful pictures posted. It took me 2 hours to do and I'm slow as hell. Doing it yourself will save you about $150 in labor costs.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^try a search theres tons of how to's in here and everything else about them, I would also say go with the autozone just because of the warranty. my ebay motor took a huge crap after about 5 seconds...literally
Old 02-19-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks guys. i'll get on it. how much is fair in labor costs alone though? i will provide my own parts. just wondering since i dont have tools within reach at the moment and finding time between my sched seems impossible right now and i need my windows workin soon. i also understand you guys prefer the autozone motor as opposed to the ebay ones, but compared to $54 check this one out http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-94...spagenameZWDVW
seems like a legite store with working parts right? and a total of $29.65

Last edited by Nickstock98t/a; 02-19-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My advice is buy them locally even if they cost more than those...I bought 2 motors from an ebay store before, one for me and one I gave to a friend...both are noisey going up.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
My advice is buy them locally even if they cost more than those...I bought 2 motors from an ebay store before, one for me and one I gave to a friend...both are noisey going up.
alright i'll have to take your guy's word on that. i'll just pick one up at autozone. i really dont have time to wait on shipping anyway. especially only to receive a sh*t item.

how much is fair for labor costs alone though, provided i provide my own motor? thanks
Old 02-19-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Honestly man, this is a pretty simple project to pull off. It was one of the first repairs I'd ever done on my car, and even being overly-cautious, it only took me just under 3 hours to pull off using that install guide that BigPapi61 linked to you. If you are more mechanically inclined than I am, it will go a bit quicker - I was just afraid of breaking something, so I took my time.

If you still don't want to try it yourself, ask someone to help you out in the Midwest section (someone who lives nearby). They'd probably do it for some beer or sexual favors, or something like that.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depending on labor rates in your area you could pay up to $200 or more. ANy labor quoted is going to be for the LONG way of doing the job which entails removing the entire window and regulator. Also, many shops will raise their rates if you supply the parts as well as giving you no warranty at all.

If you have ANY mechanical skills, a drill and some basic tools you can do this your self and save a bunch of money (even if you have to buy tools).

Re'

Quick Reply: window motor dead. how to replace?