General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Desperately need help with grounding issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desperately need help with grounding issue

Okay I had some problems with the car not starting. I've traced it back to one of the grounds that connects to the bolt on the back of the driverside head. The ground completely pulled away from its connector and is now just sitting exposed.

How in the world can I reconnect that thing. I can barely feel it its so far back under the cowl. I don't have confidence in myself to remove the intake manifold so lets try and avoid that

car is 99 z28
Old 03-06-2008, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe my guess would be to install extra grounding around in or to where ever you can from the block to the chassis! on my car i installed extra grounding wires from the heads to the chassis from the chassis to the negative cable! and i cleaned all the existing grounding terminals! showed more voltage on my battery gauge
Old 03-06-2008, 06:27 PM

I am a complete newb when it comes to any sort of wiring. Is it possible to somehow to extend that wire so I can reach a ground point that is easier to reach?
Old 03-06-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, get some wire of the same size, preferably same insulation color (black) and splice it on there. Make sure it is a good connection. If it is a thick wire you may need to trace it back to the source and replace the whole thing instead of splicing. Then connect it to a more convenient ground location but be sure it is a GOOD ground location (like not a fender bracket bolt or something small like that).

If you are unsure about it maybe find a friend who is more used to doing such things and have him do it. If you were in Akron or Mansfield Ohio I'd offer to do it for you.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Yes, get some wire of the same size, preferably same insulation color (black) and splice it on there. Make sure it is a good connection. If it is a thick wire you may need to trace it back to the source and replace the whole thing instead of splicing. Then connect it to a more convenient ground location but be sure it is a GOOD ground location (like not a fender bracket bolt or something small like that).

If you are unsure about it maybe find a friend who is more used to doing such things and have him do it. If you were in Akron or Mansfield Ohio I'd offer to do it for you.
Thanks for the advice. It is a pretty thick wire, not sure of the gauge but it feels similar to the wires going to the grounds in the front of the engine bay.

Its ironic you offer, I lived in Massillon for 14 years and now I'm in Tampa
Old 03-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well damm, most likely toyr going to have to fix that wire somehow, or look for a similar threaded hole on the block to ground another wire temporary
Old 03-06-2008, 07:02 PM

The really interesting thing is.. The car will not start at all normally.. It'll crank and crank but never start (if i prop the disconnected ground to the bolt it will start). However, if I plug in my predator into the obd port the car starts and runs regardless of whats happening with that ground. In fact its the only way I got the car home when this happened.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MrScorch
Thanks for the advice. It is a pretty thick wire, not sure of the gauge but it feels similar to the wires going to the grounds in the front of the engine bay.

Its ironic you offer, I lived in Massillon for 14 years and now I'm in Tampa
Check the wire, usually the gauge is written on it.

You shouldn't have moved out of state
Old 03-06-2008, 07:18 PM

I can barely see the wire, I can feel that it is loose and I can kind of prop it up to the point where I can see the bare metal sticking out at the end but its really back in there under the cowl and behind the head.