General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car doesnt want to start..

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Car doesnt want to start..

I just got done doing some odds and ends maintence under the car today, and in the process disconnected the battery. MY IDIOT friend decided to move the TB to WOT on cold start, it ran for maybe 5 seconds and then died, and it wont start since. it turns over fine, maybe every couple seconds i get a putt putt but thats it. Im thinking maybe its flooded? I know that the car runs rich, and it hasnt been started in a couple weeks. What would you guys suggest?

Last edited by jt76; 03-24-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you here the fuel pump? maby its time for a new fuel filter. But I'd pull a plug or 2 and see what they look like.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not sure if our cars have it, never tried, but many EFI cars have a clear flood mode. Floor the accelerator, keep it there, and crank it over. It will crank but not add fuel, and could help if you think it's flooded.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I pulled a plug, its not flooded, the batter was going to pot anyway so i just replaced it, still no dice, car cranks and i get a spudder every now and then but still no start..... someone help!
Old 03-24-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on without cranking it over?
Old 03-24-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Luna
Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on without cranking it over?
thats what I stated above and thats what you need to find out first off if you can hear thats good but it dosent mean that your getting enugh fuel pressure to the motor need to get a fuel pressure gague and find out.
My guess is a fuel issue if you do a get pump get a filter too.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

the pump is working fine, i can smell gas, the tip of the plug isnt wet, however the threads are. The car has a brand new racetronix fuel pump
Old 03-24-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well fuel air and spark are what you need to figure out I'm shure air isnt the problem so what you have is SPARK and FUEL. Just because its a new pump dosent mean anything.
1) check your fuel pressure just to be shure ( maby the filter is cloged ? who knows)
2) check to make shure you have spark ( check all your coils) they have a little tool that you can hook from your coil pack to the wire that goes to your spark plug and it will flash if you have spark.
they make nice little tools that they sell at most all parts stores.
then also you could be looking at injectors but the most common thing with a bad injector is that it leaks but maby you got some realy bad gas and it cloged them.
just some ideas its what I'd be checking.