General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Where to hook up ac coolant recharge can?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Where to hook up ac coolant recharge can?

I was wondering where the hookup line is for the R134a refridgerant? I need to recharge my AC and the cans all say it should be "somewhere between the compressor and dash". Anyone have a writeup or at the very least a picture of what the hell they are talking about? I have always just had the ac charged professionally but I am broke as **** right now and trying to save some cash. Thanks
Old 03-27-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's one of those recharge kits from the parts store think it'll only let you connect to the low side port.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seached and found no answer .....how to hook up that r134 can to charge the system .....details please..thanx
Old 03-28-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

well i dont have a write up but their is two black cap's one right in front of the radiator car and one to the right back side of the altanator that the big one and i believe it's high pressure.. the coupler will one fit on low pressure side
last two cars i have seen down the put the air of 4 and race the rpm at a constant speed say 2,000rpm to get the air the coldest
Old 03-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Banned

In the pic my finger points to the port. It's on the accumulator.
In all honesty if you can't figure out where to put the refrigerant in, your repair will be a failure.
If it's low on refrigerant theres a leak and the new refrigerant is going to leak out.
Charge it with the engine running a/c on max, fan on high, and turn the can upside down.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 01-06-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
In all honesty if you can't figure out where to put the refrigerant in, your repair will be a failure.
If it's low on refrigerant theres a leak and the new refrigerant is going to leak out.
Totally agree.

Leave it alone or take it to a shop. You will cause more damage than good. "Recharge Kits" are crap that will ruin you A/C system.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow thanks for the pic, that makes it much more obvious and makes me feel incredibly dumb. Thanks again!
Old 03-31-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've installed several ac system and agree with these guys, you dont just loose refrigerant it leaks out due to a bad oring or hose or maby your compressor took a crap or somthing else its hard to say unless someone knows what their looking for. If thier is a leak you need to vacume out the system and see if the negative pressure holds after an Hr of vacume, if it holds then you know that you may be able to recharge it but that dosent mean that your compressor/evaporator/ dryer are working properly.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Leave it alone or take it to a shop. You will cause more damage than good. "Recharge Kits" are crap that will ruin you A/C system.
Im in the same boat as the guy that started this thread......if i put refrigerant in how will it damage the A/C?
Old 05-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TRlGGER
Im in the same boat as the guy that started this thread......if i put refrigerant in how will it damage the A/C?
It depends on why you want to put refrigerant in it. The problem is people think NO COOL=NEEDS REFRIGERANT.
May be true, may need something else. But if it needs it, where did the refrigerant that was in it go?

Like I said before, if you come out and your car has a flat tire. For some strange reason most peoiple don't bother putting FREE air in it just to have it leak back out and leave it at that, they look for a leak and fix it.

So many people put a $7 can of refrigerant in their ac systems and expect that to fix it, but instead it leaks out and you're out $7.
If you took it to a shop they use inexpensive nitrogen to pressurize it and leak check it. The they repair the leak, put a vacuum pump on it, and weigh in the correct amount of refrigerant.

I've been doing ac and refrigeration for 16 years, I've grown to do it right the first time. If you don't you're wasting time and money. And thats if it's only low on charge.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

It depends on why you want to put refrigerant in it. The problem is people think NO COOL=NEEDS REFRIGERANT.
May be true, may need something else. But if it needs it, where did the refrigerant that was in it go?

Like I said before, if you come out and your car has a flat tire. For some strange reason most peoiple don't bother putting FREE air in it just to have it leak back out and leave it at that, they look for a leak and fix it.

So many people put a $7 can of refrigerant in their ac systems and expect that to fix it, but instead it leaks out and you're out $7.
If you took it to a shop they use inexpensive nitrogen to pressurize it and leak check it. The they repair the leak, put a vacuum pump on it, and weigh in the correct amount of refrigerant.

I've been doing ac and refrigeration for 16 years, I've grown to do it right the first time. If you don't you're wasting time and money. And thats if it's only low on charge.
Thanks!....i just felt today that the car wasnt cooling as well as it should. But i guess it was just me and how hot the day was because i checked the refrigerant with a gauge and it was fine.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

I can't say that I fully agree with what's been said in this thread. Chances are if you're low on freon, then you do have a leak... true. However, it doesn't always mean you have a bum oring and it has to be done by a professional.

Case in point, my valve (on the high side) got stuck down by the previous owner when something inside the cap pressed it in. All the freon leaked out, obviously. Last summer I crank the car up and turn the air on and it's not cold. I put a bit of freon in it, and can hear the leak. Replaced the valve and recharged it, no problems since.

On top of that, leaky orings don't always HAVE to be replaced to recondition them. (although they should) They make additives that condition orings, as well as a number of stop leaks which can seal worn orings.

Point being, the average DIYer should know how to recharge his/her system in the event that it needs a little more freon.

That being said, get ahold of a good set of gauges, you can rent them with a deposit at most auto parts stores. Do not use the silly gauges that come on the $25 cans of freon, they're inaccurate. The blue hose goes to the low port (beside the drier) and the red to the high port (infront of the radiator.) The yellow goes to your can of freon. Determine if your system is low, make sure the AC is on full blast max cool, and add freon through the low side until the gauge reads at the proper level. Check to see if your air is cooler, and enjoy the summer.

If this doesn't fix your problem, your AC could be over charged, compressor/clutch could be faulty, you could have too much oil in the system, the AC relay could be faulty, along with a number of other things.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pcgamer4life
I can't say that I fully agree with what's been said in this thread. Chances are if you're low on freon, then you do have a leak... true. However, it doesn't always mean you have a bum oring and it has to be done by a professional.

If this doesn't fix your problem, your AC could be over charged, compressor/clutch could be faulty, you could have too much oil in the system, the AC relay could be faulty, along with a number of other things.
There, thats a better explaination.
Got to ask though...where does this extra oil come from?
How does it get overcharged? (oh yea, no cool=add refrigerant)
Old 05-13-2008, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Extra oil could come from people previously adding either individual cans of PAG oil, or by adding the cans of freon mixed with oil already. At work (autozone) the computer's generally show how much oil and freon is supposed to be in a system (which is useless unless your system is totally empty.)

Over charged because people don't know what other signs to look for, and they'll never know unless people explain it to them

Quick Reply: Where to hook up ac coolant recharge can?