General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Just bought a Car- What to check

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just bought a Car- Problems

Hey all,

I just bought a 2000 WS6 with 85K miles on it. I know that it wasn't the greatest decision, but I kinda rushed into it and now it is what is. Anyways, I plan on changing all the fluids this weekend (oil, rear end, trans, brake, coolant, etc). I also plan on changing the fuel filter and probably the air filter too. I have checked the brake pads and they are ok. So what else should I check on to make sure that it is in fine working order. I am fairly new to F-bodies so forgive my ignorance.

Also, when ever I am rolling in neutral from around 30 mph to when I come to a stop, it sounds like the passenger rear brake caliper is sticking (It sounds like when you have no pad left and the caliper is rubbing against the rotor, but I have plenty of pad so its not that); however, when I step on the brakes the sound doesn't go away. After driving the car the rear brakes feel a lot hotter than the fronts. I am guessing the caliper is bad and either needs to be rebuilt or I just need a new one. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

There is another issue now also. At 2000 and 2500 RPM in any gear if you give the like 50% to 75% throttle, the car stutters or hesitates. It only happens at those two RPM ranges and it doesn't really happen at WOT or if you give it just a little throttle. No engine lights or anything. Any Ideas on this one??

Clayton

Last edited by clainhart3; 04-09-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change the spark plugs, that'll teach ya!
Old 04-09-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why Was That A Bad Decision
Old 04-09-2008, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tee-boy
Why Was That A Bad Decision
Well it was a car with 85K that has some issues, and I don't much about the car. I probably should have tried to find something with less miles.

Anyways, I think that the sound is coming from the parking brake. It is very very easy to pull the parking brake up and it doesn't hold very well when it is up, so I think that that might be the problem.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clainhart3
Well it was a car with 85K that has some issues, and I don't much about the car. I probably should have tried to find something with less miles.

Anyways, I think that the sound is coming from the parking brake. It is very very easy to pull the parking brake up and it doesn't hold very well when it is up, so I think that that might be the problem.
i wouldn't worry too much about the 85 k miles if you treat the car right an ls1 have been seen to last over 200k miles.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by crapyboy750
i wouldn't worry too much about the 85 k miles if you treat the car right an ls1 have been seen to last over 200k miles.
Haha thanks for the encouragement. I am sure it will be fine. It just needs some TLC and some money throw at it haha.

So can anyone help me out? Any chance that the weird hesitation might be due to a clogged fuel filter?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Haha thanks for the encouragement. I am sure it will be fine. It just needs some TLC and some money throw at it haha.

So can anyone help me out? Any chance that the weird hesitation might be due to a clogged fuel filter?

More than likely not the fuel filter, if it was the fuel filter you would notice a hesitation up in the rpm's not down low i would suggest to change the spark plugs, plug wires, if they are original ones.

My car is going on 130k without any major problems... fyi
Old 04-09-2008, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99NMB
More than likely not the fuel filter, if it was the fuel filter you would notice a hesitation up in the rpm's not down low i would suggest to change the spark plugs, plug wires, if they are original ones.

My car is going on 130k without any major problems... fyi
Ahh great thanks for the advice. I might try and do that tomorrow then to. I went ahead and bought a fuel filter since I figured the one on the car needs to be replaced anyways. I have heard that spark plugs are a bitch to change on the f-body. Any hints or suggestions?
Old 04-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

have some band aids out for your first attempt of doing plugs #7 and #8 plugs are a pain just because they take time.. not much room for movement..
Old 04-10-2008, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Ahh great thanks for the advice. I might try and do that tomorrow then to. I went ahead and bought a fuel filter since I figured the one on the car needs to be replaced anyways. I have heard that spark plugs are a bitch to change on the f-body. Any hints or suggestions?
Yea like stated above #7 and #8 are a Bitch! you can remove the coil packs on the passengers side and they are a easier to get at.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is the car throwing any codes?
Old 04-10-2008, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

haha thanks for the heads up on the band aids. I might be putting LTs on next month, should I just wait until then to swap the plugs? Does this hesitation issue sound like something that could damage the engine?

Originally Posted by Wsteun
Is the car throwing any codes?
nope, no codes yet

I have also noticed that the car kinda bogs if you shift the car and go into about 50% throttle as you slip the clutch back in. It almost feels like a misfire, but it only happens for a second. So you engage the clutch, there is no power for a half a second, then it feels like power comes on for half a second, then it cuts out again and then it takes off. So its like the car loses power, then it catches, loses power again and then goes. It only happens around 50% throttle though and only at 2000 RPM, 2500RPM and if you shift and then on the throttle as you slip the clutch.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:43 PM
12 Second Club

change the plugs/wires..see where that gets you
Old 04-11-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by razorclaw99
change the plugs/wires..see where that gets you
Yep. Get those things done that you said you were going to do and if it still has issues let us know.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like a good car to me that just needs some new spark plugs and wires. fbodies can be a tad touchy with brakes but it doesnt sound like an ebrake problem. if you do take that wheel off again check to make sure the caliper braket bolts are all tight on the rear end. once you take off the rotor you can see the ebrake, its the horshoe looking thing on the hub
Old 04-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Don't feel bad, I bought an 02 with 122K on it!!!
Old 04-11-2008, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Well, no progress as of yet. I decided to go home for the weekend (I am working up at the Milford Proving Grounds up in Michigan as a Co-op for GM and home is Nashville, TN), so I won't really be able to work on the car this weekend. Hopefully, I can do most of this stuff Monday night after work. I have another problem now though. Both blinkers stopped working haha. One stopped about an hour after I bought the car (ya an hour. It worked as I left the parking lot where I picked up and then stopped working about an hour later), and the other one quit on me this morning. I mean this car seems like its falling apart as we speak. After reading a couple of threads about blinker problems, I am going to try and replace the bulbs and make sure that there is no rust or anything on the sockets.

Also, something is going on with the power steering. It works fine while I am driving the car, but sometimes at idle the power steering doesn't work. At low RPMs and idle you can hear the pump whinning when you turn the wheel. It has enough fluid in it, but you can tell that it boiled over at one point (there is fluid on the outside of the pump and it looks somewhat fresh). Some how I missed this when I was looking at the car. Is the pump going bad, or is it maybe the belt is loose or something?

haha this car is becoming a headache. Oh well I have to do is stomp the throttle and get the tires a little loose and I quickly remember why I bought the car.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clean the MAF with plastic safe electronic parts cleaner. Might help the hesitation.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MiniTransAm
Don't feel bad, I bought an 02 with 122K on it!!!
98 with 148k... only small issues so far
Old 04-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

The question should have been, -Want to buy a car, what should I check- But it's OK, just think that what your car has is normal maintenance for a car that didn't run very often. The good deal about all this is that your car is not a commun and unlike a Sunfire, you don't see one on every corner.... Good Luck