General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

SS 8 years old should I flush the Radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteMan
I am on my 4th flush and it still is not clear.
Its pretty dirty stuff after a few years and its got to clean everything off throughout the system.

Usually takes me 5 or 6. If you let the engine run and wait for the t-stat to open and start flowing water back into the radiator, then open the drain plug and let the radiator empty out, the water pump will keep pumping coolant from the engine and you will get more old coolant out. But shut the engine off after you see coolant stop flowing into the radiator. Then close the drain and fill the radiator.

You can also do this if you want to but I usually don't tell people to do this. Take 2 minutes and take the t-stat out. Then fill the radiator, stick a running hose on a high setting into the radiator fill cap and open the drain. Then start the engine and you will have a ciontinuous flow of clean water going through the engine and the old dirty watger will keep going out the drain plug. If you do this you should take the entire petcock valve "off" so you get faster draining out the bottom of the radiator. Just make sure the water is on high enough to keep the radiator more or less topped off.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by needadvice
Its pretty dirty stuff after a few years and its got to clean everything off throughout the system.

Usually takes me 5 or 6. If you let the engine run and wait for the t-stat to open and start flowing water back into the radiator, then open the drain plug and let the radiator empty out, the water pump will keep pumping coolant from the engine and you will get more old coolant out. But shut the engine off after you see coolant stop flowing into the radiator. Then close the drain and fill the radiator.

You can also do this if you want to but I usually don't tell people to do this. Take 2 minutes and take the t-stat out. Then fill the radiator, stick a running hose on a high setting into the radiator fill cap and open the drain. Then start the engine and you will have a ciontinuous flow of clean water going through the engine and the old dirty watger will keep going out the drain plug. If you do this you should take the entire petcock valve "off" so you get faster draining out the bottom of the radiator. Just make sure the water is on high enough to keep the radiator more or less topped off.
I have the Prestone Flush Kit. Maybe I should have used that I just did not want to cut the heater hose to do it. Where am I going to put all this waste water?

Also I have the car up on ramps that is not going to affect anything right?
Old 06-17-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am on like my 6th flush.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the Prestone Flush Kit. Maybe I should have used that I just did not want to cut the heater hose to do it. Where am I going to put all this waste water?

Also I have the car up on ramps that is not going to affect anything right?
Let it run down the driveway I guess. Ramps don't matter, the water pump will pump the water no matter what, I use ramps too.

Are you not getting clean water yet?
Old 06-17-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am on like my 6th flush.
Maybe take the t-stat out and run it for 15 minutes with the drain plug out and the hose stuck in the radiator fill opening, it'll run clear after awhile.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I am going to go buy another hose and use the Prestone flush kit. Just not sure which hose I am supposed to cut.

I thought the car must have been flushed at one time but guess not...Must really be the first flush in 8 years. Only 41k miles though.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well guys I installed the Prestone kit and flushed it. My car sounded really ******* bad starts to go ER Er ER ER... I dont run it for the 5 min more like 3 and on the final drain the water was clear...

So now I just have to fill it back up and hope that sound is not there...Also, not get air in it..

Last edited by VetteMan; 06-18-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well guys I installed the Prestone kit and flushed it. My car sounded really ******* bad starts to go ER Er ER ER... I dont run it for the 5 min more like 3 and on the final drain the water was clear...

So now I just have to fill it back up and hope that sound is not there...Also, not get air in it..
I never used a flush kit so I can't comment on the hoses or anything.

Where does that sound seem to be coming from?
Old 06-18-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I never used a flush kit so I can't comment on the hoses or anything.

Where does that sound seem to be coming from?
Everywhere and my eyes burn from filling the car back up with radiator fluid while running the car...

I bet I fucked my car up..It does not seem to be over heating or anything.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Everywhere and my eyes burn from filling the car back up with radiator fluid while running the car...

I bet I fucked my car up..It does not seem to be over heating or anything.

Your eyes burn.....what the hell???? Anti freeze cannot burn your eyes, you can drink it and it will taste great.

Its an impossibility to mess anything up as long as you did not overheat the engine while it was running.

NOW....I have no idea what you did with that flush kit.

Pull your oil dipstick out....is there water in the oil?
Old 06-18-2008, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your eyes burn.....what the hell???? Anti freeze cannot burn your eyes, you can drink it and it will taste great.

Its an impossibility to mess anything up as long as you did not overheat the engine while it was running.

NOW....I have no idea what you did with that flush kit.

Pull your oil dipstick out....is there water in the oil?

I don't think so. I am not sure... Would be driving the car be a bad idea?

When I pull the dip stick there is oil on it.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think so. I am not sure... Would be driving the car be a bad idea?

When I pull the dip stick there is oil on it.
Right, but does it look watery at all?

Not saying there's water in there but you have a noise now and you just flushed the block and heads...so!!!!

Can you video the sound and post it up on here? I wouldn't drive my car with a noise if I didn't know exactly what it is.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

The sound went away after driving it for about 5 min. Then I notice loss of power when flooring it in third gear. I ran into a mechanic getting off of work at the gas station mention everything to him. Showed him where I installed the Tee and he said that to just run it hard. I did and it seems to be running fine now.. Temp lower then before flush, oil pressure good.

I am still worried though...
Old 06-18-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The sound went away after driving it for about 5 min. Then I notice loss of power when flooring it in third gear. I ran into a mechanic getting off of work at the gas station mention everything to him. Showed him where I installed the Tee and he said that to just run it hard. I did and it seems to be running fine now.. Temp lower then before flush, oil pressure good.

I am still worried though...
Well, I can't say what the heck the noise was, but if its good to go, you did it.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks but I am still curious for future reference since I have the Tee installed if it is suppose to sound like crap back flushing? I suppose it would because you are making the system going in reverse right?
Old 06-18-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I drained my oil... I think there is water in my oil now but I don't know. I used 5w-30 so its thinn and it only has about 200 miles on this change...

I read if you pour it into a clear container then the water/antifreeze will be separate from the oil.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks but I am still curious for future reference since I have the Tee installed if it is suppose to sound like crap back flushing? I suppose it would because you are making the system going in reverse right?
What "Tee" do you have installed?

Yes, the oil will settle to the bottom and the water will settle on top, you will clealry see it.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All I can think of is: If you have water in your oil it must have gotten in there while you were flushing it under pressure....possibly through a blown head gasket.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have it installed on the first heater hose closest to the radiator.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice