General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

SS 8 years old should I flush the Radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah 100% sure no water in oil so I guess everything is good to go but car problems at WOT.

Last edited by VetteMan; 06-19-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VetteMan
Yeah 100% sure no water in oil so I guess everything is good to go but car problems at WOT.
what car problems at WOT?
Old 06-19-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by needadvice
what car problems at WOT?
It lags and shakes sometimes. Replacing plugs and wires today.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How exactly will i know when the "thermostat opens?" Is that just saying when you start the car, and the fluid reaches it? I'm kinda confused, lol. So fill up the radiator with water through the fill cap, start the car, and how long am I supposed to wait before i shut the car off, and drain the dirty water? Also when you fill it back up, do you .. Fill it to the top, start the car, let it flow through, shut it off, top it off again, and repeat until it stops dropping down? (fill up with the car off i assume?)

Thanks NA
Old 06-20-2008, 03:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
How exactly will i know when the "thermostat opens?" Is that just saying when you start the car, and the fluid reaches it? I'm kinda confused, lol. So fill up the radiator with water through the fill cap, start the car, and how long am I supposed to wait before i shut the car off, and drain the dirty water? Also when you fill it back up, do you .. Fill it to the top, start the car, let it flow through, shut it off, top it off again, and repeat until it stops dropping down? (fill up with the car off i assume?)

Thanks NA
the thermostat opens when the temp guage gets close to 210! u will see the water in the rad moving continually. and as for flushing, turn the heater on full blast and open the drain and stick a hose in the radiator, or u can let water in the radiator circulate with the drain closed.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:25 AM
Banned

also OP the noise ur car was making was most likely the water pump bearings, if it runs dry it will make a squeaky noise! and i hope u made sure that ALL the air was out the system or else the car will overheat!! and the dex cool crap actually makes run a tad bit hotter becasue of its concentration, the green coolent has been used for decades and is well known. and as for u loosing power? i dont see how that is possible unless u overheated the **** out of the motor! i mean overheating it to red!! not just reaching a bit over 210. it could also be that the water pump might start to seize up if the noise continues.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:15 AM
11 Second Club

thank you ae. So let it circulate until it reaches 210 then shut the car off and drain the water?
Old 06-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
thank you ae. So let it circulate until it reaches 210 then shut the car off and drain the water?
yea dude that way im sure u will get all the coolent out, but becareful when u drain in cuz it will be fire hot
Old 06-20-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ae13291
also OP the noise ur car was making was most likely the water pump bearings, if it runs dry it will make a squeaky noise! and i hope u made sure that ALL the air was out the system or else the car will overheat!! and the dex cool crap actually makes run a tad bit hotter becasue of its concentration, the green coolent has been used for decades and is well known. and as for u loosing power? i dont see how that is possible unless u overheated the **** out of the motor! i mean overheating it to red!! not just reaching a bit over 210. it could also be that the water pump might start to seize up if the noise continues.
Nothing is overheating at all and it is running at a lower temp then before.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Launching!

so when you start it to let it circulate, do you start it with the rad cap off or start then take it off?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wtomlinson
so when you start it to let it circulate, do you start it with the rad cap off or start then take it off?
take it off, then start it and wait for it to flow.

Even if you start it first you can still wait quite along time and still be able to take it off. It takles some time to get hot and to build pressure. But take it off first, then start it.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VetteMan
Nothing is overheating at all and it is running at a lower temp then before.
Good, you finally got it.