General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Any tricks to changing the spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any tricks to changing the spark plugs

I have a 98 TA with 46,000 miles and what I think are the original plugs. I would like to change them after reading some of the posts on here but they look like a real pain in the ***, especially the last one on the passenger side. Are there any tricks to changing them without getting pissed and throwing sh*t all over the garage. Looks like it would be a real test of my patience for me. Also it looks like the TR55 plugs with about a .050 to .055 gap are the best from what I have read. Is that true?
Old 08-17-2003, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Any tricks to changing the spark plugs

Check out installuniversity.com
they have a good writeup on doing them.
On that #8 plug, I didn't have a 1" extension so I used a 13/16's socket(or close to that)over top of my spark plug socket. Worked pretty well.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

To get the plugs back in use a peice of 1/4 inch vacuum line from advance about five inches long and push it over the end of the plag it makes them easier to screw in. U can also use a box end wrench on the spark plug socket if u have to.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

To get the plugs back in use a peice of 1/4 inch vacuum line from advance about five inches long and push it over the end of the plug it makes them easier to screw in. U can also use a box end wrench on the spark plug socket if u have to.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

I would definetly recommend that you have 1/4" - 1/2" ratchets with appropriate adapters and extensions. I used the 3/8" sometimes the 1/2" for the length and leverage to break plugs loose. To remove the plugs I used the 1/4" because it was smaller and easier to use in the tight space. The last passenger side plug I broke while attempting to remove from above. I had to remove that one from the bottom. I would also recommend swivels for all sizes and an adjustable headed ratchet. The adjustable head allows for a more square aproach to the angled plugs.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

my friend used a long, thin hollow pipe as a handle....he'd place it over a standard size ratchet handle and use the larger handle (the pipe) for extra leverage to turn the ratchet.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the tips I got them changed today. It took me less than 2 hours, I only drew blood only one, and I didn't end up throwing anything, so I'm pretty happy. The car seems to run the same though.....still better than a Mustang!
Old 08-22-2003, 01:03 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The only trick is to remember to have the auto store check them before you get home....(found out I had a dud.....after I installed it and sealed everyting back up....) and be sure not to over tighten...you crack the porcellain...and it wont work.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:43 AM
TECH Addict

Use anti-seize on the threads and be careful, the aluminum threads will strip easily
Old 08-22-2003, 11:27 AM
Launching!

I just did mine for the 2nd time yesterday. Follow the install link above. It is very help full. I did all 8 plugs in a little under 2 hours. I hit #8 from the bottom. It is actually very easy from the under the car. The rest I just used and extention and removed the air tubes.