General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Labor Hours to install a few things...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Labor Hours to install a few things...

Anyone know where someone can look up general labor hours for installation of parts? I know mechanics have a "bible" of sorts that tells them the hourly breakdown of each job. Just wondering if there is anywhere to view this information myself.

I am having a rear-end set-up and installed, clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, rotors+pads, shocks+springs, and steering rack.

Just wondering if I am being overcharged or not.

Breakdown as quoted to me:

Rear-end- 6.6 hrs
Front Springs/Shocks- 3.9 hrs
Front Brake Pads+Rotors- 1.3 hrs
Clutch/flywheel/slave- 5.7 hrs
Steering Rack- 2.5 hrs

Does this breakdown seem right?

This may be the wrong section to post this, not sure. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Why not do it your self? not trying to be a dick and just say that but at 90 an hour thats like 1800.....
Old 07-07-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

Trust me, I know...and that is the rate: $90/hr.

Answer: This is a DD and its my only car. Down time is an issue. Plus, the rear-end is being pulled off another car, then getting set-up with 4.10's, then installed. I don't want to mess around with setting the gears up correctly.

Clutch is another thing I know nothing about, so I don't want to screw something up.

The shocks/springs and rotors/pads are something I could do myself. All the rear axle stuff will be included in the rear end install, because they all have to come off anyways. So, makes no sense for me to waste my time installing those.
I could do the front shocks/springs and rotors/pads, but then I would be on Koni's and Strano springs in the front, and stock in the rear until it gets to the shop. Maybe I'll do that the weekend before I take it in.

The steering rack is another thing I could do myself, but I'm having it rebuilt, so I think I'll just have it thrown in to make sure everything goes smoothly.

Plus I'll need alignment after all this work.

Mainly, I don't want to run into any issues that keeps the car out of commision, as this will make if difficult to get to and from work daily...

Also, having it installed is more of a peace of mind thing and the assurance that if anything goes wrong during or after, they will take care of me. Good people...

Just wondering if the hourly numbers looked inflated to anyone...
Old 07-07-2008, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

you do know that the rear springs and shocks take maybe 20 min right...
Old 07-07-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

^^^Didn't know that...But like I said, there is no charge for them to do the rear shocks/springs/rotors/pads because they would all have to come off anyways to do the rear.

Are the front shocks/springs/rotors/pads a more tedious job than the rears?
Old 07-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Front brake pads and rotors? I could do that in 20 minutes. I can understand down time being an issue, but honestly brakes, rotors, and shocks, that can all easily be done by you in under a days time. They are very simple and straightforward jobs.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

^^^The statement about down time was in regards to installing everything. I am contemplating doing the shocks/springs/rotors/pads myself, just not sure if I have the time or necessary tools to do the job correctly. Like I mentioned, I don't want to run into an issue that leaves me with no car because I decided to go in myself. I know they are straightforward jobs, but if something goes wrong, or if I run into something that may be damaged or messed up, the straightforwardness goes out the window.

Any links to a good set of install instructions for shocks/springs/rotors/pads? I found rotors/pads on installuniversity.com, but nothing on shocks/springs, atleast from what I saw.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Post in the FL section and see if you can get someone in your area to help you out. Thats what i was doing for my cam install. You'll be suprised what ppl will do for beer and pizza
Old 07-07-2008, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

do yourself a favor and do one thing at a time if your soo concerned with down time. Have them do the big projects and get it over with properly. and spend a saturday or sunday on the little things yourself a friend and a 30pack could take care of in no time. and as far as the $90/hr rate you might want to shop around the forums or talk to other shops to get better rates. you might get lucky enough to find a shop that charges $75/hr or less.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

I appreciate all the feedback I have received from this post. However, no one seems to want to answer the question I posted, which is: Does this hourly breakdown seem inflated? I know different shops charge different rates. I know a lot of people here consider most (if not all) of these installs as "easy and straightforward".

However, with the lack of appropriate tools and "knowledge" this is not as straightforward as it is for some. Just looking for feedback concerning the hourly breakdown...

Unless you are close enough to me to help, please don't say things like "Just do it yourself....get a friend and do it one thing at a time." If I knew I could install everything myself, I would have already. It's the simple fact that I have never done any of these before. I'm sure if I had someone with knowledge help me, I would have no problem doing it all myself in the future. But that is not the case. I don't have anyone at my disposal who has a knowledgeable background on these cars (or any cars for that matter, lol)...

Not trying to be a dick, just stating the truth.

Thanks again everyone who took the time to reply.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey i can understand where you're coming from dankl, my car is my DD also an I'm military an stay in the barracks so i dont have a garage with a huge set of tools at my disposal so i can understand your dilemma.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

Do the Brakes and front Springs/shocks yourself.

The ONLY special tools you will need is to rent a spring compressor from autozone / advanced to compress the springs off of your shocks.. Other than that I think its like 10 bolts TOPS per shock.. The only special tool for brakes is a large C-Clamp to compress the pistons.. it is REALLY simple I have done both

It shouldnt take you more than 3 hours total for all of that for the first time.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if there doing all that work, get them to cut you a little slack on the hourly rate
Old 07-09-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gimme a sec
Old 07-09-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remove and replace rear axle housing (inc Adjust preload, backlash & gear pattern, Bleed Brakes) = 6.8

both front shocks/springs: 3.2 (does not include alignment)

Remove & Replace Brake Shoes &/Or Pads - Both Sides, Front: 1.0

clutch/flywheel/slave: i show 4.8

Remove & Install Steering Gear (COMPLETE) : 3.0

this is based of one of the labor guides i have access to at work

seems pretty close to me
Old 07-10-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

shocks and brakes dont take that long, we do it at sears auto center in two hours all of it.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

I am going to have a member or two help me with most of these things. Everyone is great on here with their willingness to help a fellow LS1 owner.

Just did my FTRA swap from my Volant yesterday. That was fun...

I'll do the springs/shocks/rotors/pads this weekend I hope, with the assistance of a member.

Maybe do the LS7 clutch swap with the help of another member.

Probably just have the shop do the rear-end since they are pulling it off another camaro, setting up my gears, and throwing in the LCA's. Plus, they have to fix a hanger, or something, from their header install.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback and those who are willing to help.