General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn signal not working...and it's something different than usual!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal not working...and it's something different than usual!!!

I have searched and tried everything that was suggested and I think this is different. My right side blinker comes on as a steady light, but does not blink and the green directional light on the dash stays steady on. The left side works normally.

It's not a bulb because I took every single bulb, from the left side and switched with the right side (front and back) and no change.

Pulling the front and rear bulbs far enough so I could see them both and turning on the signal, the second element in the bulb lights up on both front and back but does not blink.

I closed both the garage doors and turned off the lights so I could see what it looked like. Both lights front and back come on bright when the switch is turned, and if you manually turn the switch on, off, on, off, etc. each lights up and looks exactly like the left side.

As I said earlier in the post it's not the bulbs, and I don't see how it can be the socket, so I am wondering if it's in the switch? But that doesn't seem right either!!! I am correct that there is only one relay so it can't be the relay for the left and right, right?!!?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a similar problem. Did everything including replacing the bulbs and front turn signal socket. If you notice, when you turn on the hazards, they still probably work. If so, it may be the DRL module. It a little black box behind the radio, real easy to replace but expensive unless you find a used one. The part number is 10407669. The dealer will charge you a couple hundred bucks but I got mine for $40,

Check out this thread and see if your problem is similar:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=10407669
Old 07-28-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
Had a similar problem. Did everything including replacing the bulbs and front turn signal socket. If you notice, when you turn on the hazards, they still probably work. If so, it may be the DRL module. It a little black box behind the radio, real easy to replace but expensive unless you find a used one. The part number is 10407669. The dealer will charge you a couple hundred bucks but I got mine for $40,

Check out this thread and see if your problem is similar:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=10407669
He has a 94 which doesn't have a DRL module.

On to your problem. The sockets could indeed have gone bad. My front turn signal sockets were badly over heated and looked burnt on the inside but still worked ok. I also noticed the wires going to the front turn signal were extremely stiff as if they got overheated.

Take a look and see the condition of the front turn signal and both rear turn signals. It only takes one lamp to be out to cause what you are seeing on the dash. In this case, the burnt out socket may be causing this issue. My local NAPA had the sockets.

I've since replaced both of mine when I went to LEDs.

Also, just a long shot, did you remove the taillights at any time lately? I accidentally crimped the harness a bit when reinstalling my taillights and it caused a similar issue.

Good luck. I've been all through my signal switching system and even replaced the switch in the column so let me know what you find out.

-brian
Old 07-29-2008, 06:11 AM
Teching In

that happened to me and it was the switch at about 85K miles
Old 07-29-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrison24
that happened to me and it was the switch at about 85K miles
Could def. be the switch but that's kind of a pain to replace so certainly try everything else first.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

I feel your pain. I just rewired in a new marker lamp socket because the bulb was not working, yet would work on the other side. Did an inspection of the socket and found it to be burnt a little. Wouldn't hurt to try.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Out of frustration I put the Flasher relay in the turn signal socket...bam I have working tail lights!!! So I then tried putting the turn signal relay in the flasher socket, and they go way too fast. So I think i'll buy a new turn signal relay and put it where it belongs and see if the blinkers still work. I looked at the part numbers on each of the relays and they are different.

I am wondering (haven't checked) if the voltage is different on the incoming side of the plug-in for each relay. I am not close to being an electrical expert by any means, but I wonder how the relays work. I assume that the relay gets the input voltage and the relay connects and at either set amount of time or voltage it disconnects, and the process starts back over until you turn off the switch? If this is the case I suppose the reason I was getting the left to work but not the right, might be because the turn signal switch itself is not supplying the same voltage to the relay. This makes me wonder if the switch is not beginning to go bad???
Old 07-29-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the ground wire on the frame to the left an right side of the radiator. Shoud be a simple 10mm bolt and a single black wire if it is loose that will cause the problem your having.

Quick Reply: Turn signal not working...and it's something different than usual!!!