General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How to fix a faded taillight!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to fix a faded taillight!!!

the materials i used was gloves that won't melt, rtv silicone, duplicolor chrome paint, painter tape, knife (to help cut gule and pry apart) and vice grips (4)

1. take taillight off
2. pre-heat oven to 220-230
3. place light in oven for 20 mins - repeat if it doesn't come off all the way
4. pull light apart
5. clean the inside (be sure to get all the glue off)
6. tape up the edges using painters tape
7. spray dulipcolor chrome paint ( i put about 3 coats)
8. let dry
9. put rtv silicone around the edge
10. place back together and clamp down using vice grips ( i used four but more would be handy)
11. let dry for 24 hours
12. clean off any access silicone
13. replace light back to car

here is a quick list i put together to help out alittle bit, it probably could be modified a bit better

good luck and a little info. putting it back together was a b@#$% for me, ill get the finished pics when it drys

**BE SURE TO GET ALL THE GLUE OFF FORM THE FACTORY, IT WILL HELP IT GO BACK TOGETHER AND BE CAREFULL WHEN PULLING APART PLASTIC WILL BRAKE EASY**

i cooked it at about 225-230 for 20 mins pulled it out opened a little bit of it stuck it back in for about 5-10 mins opened more of it and so on till it finnally opened up now im off to the auto store to buy the reflective stuff and glue so ill post pics up as i go

here is where im having trouble getting it back together, the vice grips i got arent big enough to clamp anypart of the light right here, i need a different kinda of clamp or somthing

and sorry for the poor quality pics

i got these clamps to help hold that corner down worked well, aslo one thing i need to go back and add in is i put the painter tape over the vice grip so it wouldnt scratch the light

AND WHAT WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR!!!!!

I think it turned out well, you can see in person it doesnt shine quite as bright but close enough, also the light did get deformed just a bit but you wouldnt notice unless i told you, other than that im pleased with the way it turned out.

What do you guys think?

and i know i have a light out on my spoiler lol

here are some pics of the reverse lights. let me know how yall think it turned out?

Last edited by LoudmouthWS6; 08-13-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:33 AM
12 Second Club

Just tried this. Did 225 degrees with 40 minutes. Popped right off. Pictures soon.

Last edited by Joshiedoom; 01-07-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

This is great!

But I've just gone to the junkyard each time (twice) and picked taillights up in better condition than mine for like $40/50 and been done with it.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bboyferal
This is great!

But I've just gone to the junkyard each time (twice) and picked taillights up in better condition than mine for like $40/50 and been done with it.
Hmmm, I always wondered if they can be found at junk yards and for how much $$$.

I'll have to check my local yards. I need two. Mine are 12 years old and getting dark inside and they are both cracked in several places, just from dry rot I think. They are very briddle.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS6427
Hmmm, I always wondered if they can be found at junk yards and for how much $$$.

I'll have to check my local yards. I need two. Mine are 12 years old and getting dark inside and they are both cracked in several places, just from dry rot I think. They are very briddle.

Yeah, this fix is great, but some taillights might not be able to withstand the dissassembly, depending on their condition if they're already majorly fucked up.

lol, I'll never be able to forget when both taillights went bad on my 2002 red TA back when it was still under warranty.

Though repaired for free, the final receipt had prices for the work... Something like $600 for them... lol
Old 01-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Yeah, this fix is great, but some taillights might not be able to withstand the dissassembly, depending on their condition if they're already majorly fucked up.

lol, I'll never be able to forget when both taillights went bad on my 2002 red TA back when it was still under warranty.

Though repaired for free, the final receipt had prices for the work... Something like $600 for them... lol
Do you know off hand what two new ones would cost from the dealership? I'm just curious. I'm gonna be putting a seriously nice paint job and new rims soon, I might as well get some brand new tail light housings.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

What type of RTV did you use? The reason I ask is that I would have expected the acid vapor that's released as most RTV cures to have seriously fogged things.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

back from the dead for more info...I did this last night..only suggestion...don't put the light directly on the oven rack...had some slight deformation where it touched.

came apart pretty easy

Quick Reply: How to fix a faded taillight!!!