General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help! Help! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Help! Help! Help!

I really need help, my car won't start and the symptoms are different than those I've read.

My car is an 01 Z28 6M, Stock engine, stock tune, stock electronics.

I took the car for a spin today and ran through the gears hard. Everything checked out okay.

Came back home and idled in driveway for a minute then shut car off.

Got wash bucket, etc ready to clean the car and went to move the car closer to the hose. Nothing happend when I turned the key.

I have no lights except the Red alarm light on the dash that flashes when the key is in the forward position. This light only blinks when the Headlight switch is off and the door is open. Otherwise I get nothing and hear no fuel pump or starter.

Turning the headlight switch to ON kills the alarm light, but the headlights still won't go on. Now there is a faint beep that corresponds with the security light.

The battery shows 12.84 V and about 6 amps.

When this first happened a relay (sounded like it was behind the glovebox) would keep clicking when the key was turned. I took the key out, charged the battery and the clicking stopped.

I'm going to cool down, and hit the Haynes manual. Plus, I can swap batteries with my truck to eliminate that variable and possibly clear anything in the ECU.

I don't have a scan tool, just a meter and the ability to read out the wires described in the VATS threads.

I'm desperate to get this fixed as my car is scheduled to go to VA Speed tomorrow for Heads/Cam/Nitrous!!! Ughhhhhhh!

Didn't know what section to put this in, so I'm sorry if it should be moved.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you said that you went through the gears pretty hard so maybe the switch which is a button under the dash got knocked out of place.

You know how when you get in your car to start it? You push the clutch in and turn the key? Well I'm betting that switch is messed up. Take apart the dash under the steering wheel and remove the upper kick plate too. push the clutch by hand while watching what happens. You should see a black, long(1.5-2.00in) button. I believe that's the one that tells if the clutch is depressed on start up.

I think that might work for you. I messed up my cruise control one time by driving hard. I popped the white button out.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^Thanks, I'm heading back to the garage to check this.......I can't imagine that that one switch would kill the headlights, horn, etc, but it's a start.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

On my 01 z28 i had an issue where the key would turn but the VAT would cut off the fuel. Had an ignition switch and ignition relay that was overheating replaced and the problem was fixed.

But with your car it sounds like your not getting anything at all? With the vats your car tries to start but gets no fuel so the battery just drains itself firing blanks.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cry0
But with your car it sounds like your not getting anything at all? With the vats your car tries to start but gets no fuel so the battery just drains itself firing blanks.
When my VATS went out, my car would not crank at all? The key would turn but no crank.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JosephIV
^^^Thanks, I'm heading back to the garage to check this.......I can't imagine that that one switch would kill the headlights, horn, etc, but it's a start.
as far as the not starting, the stuff I said may help, but the headlights and horn and all that? I don't know... CHECK ALL YOUR FUSES! I bet that's it! Certain ones may be blown for some strange reason.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default It's Fixed!!!!

Thanks for the help guys!

It turned out to be the positive battery cable. I am sooo relieved it's simple.

I gotta admit that I'm weary of pissing off the evil red VATS eye some day. Thankfully, I should motor to VA Speed tomorrow with the wife following in the new minivan! The minivan will be loaded with longtubes, true duals, and enough diapers to keep a 1 year old dry for a weekend.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

since I was the closest to the problem which was under the hood(fuses) you owe me a cam... glad you got it fixed homie
Old 08-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Sometimes its the simple things.

This thread reminded me of a comic I read recently...

Old 08-15-2008, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Glad you got it fixed....The exact same thing happened to me. First thing I checked was the bat cable. when I went to see if it was loose it snapped right off....Of course this on the original battery for an 01 Z28.. But more than once I have found loose cables on battery's...it happens.