General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rattle, vibration in cabin???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rattle, vibration in cabin???

Hey guys,

I am close to getting my WS6 back on the road, after chasing a P0305 & P0704 (or is it a P0407? IDK) anyways, I changed all my plugs, wires, filters, sea foamed, new O2 sensors, new midlength headers, O2 sims, Ypipe, and I even threw in an oil change...But...

I wanted to get some feedback, and try and trouble shoot an annoying issue I have with my car. When cruising on the hwy, at 80mph +, I can not help but notice that there is a constant rattling and vibration in the cabin of my car.

I bought a strut tower brace, mainly b/c it is a relatively inexpensive accessory that looks cool, to compliment my SLP LID. But I wanted to try and isolate the underlining cause of the vibration.

Now, I understand the WS6 is not the most aero-dynamic sports car out there, with the spoiler and all. I also realize the LS1 enging is designed more for the harmonically balanced frame and body of the Corvetter and SS. But there has to be something that I can adjust, tweak or tighten, to minimize the amount of ground noise resonating through the cabin while I drive.

I mean when I drive down the hwy, I cant hear the radio or my full after-market Pioneer Premier/Sony Xplode audio system. What might help? Has anyone else battled this issus before?

I figured it could be (actually hoped) that it was just un-balanced wheels and tires, or a loose panel.

I plan on up-grading the overall suspension components to better after-market components after I can afford to do so. So, until then, does anyone have any personal stories and/or suggestions that might help me?

I guy at work who is an "ex-ls1 gear head" (he went to the foreign import car scene) said that that is just how those cars are....going back to the reference of the WS6 not being "harmonically balanced" like the Corvette.

Anyways, two sentences and a question mark would have gotten the topic on here quicker, but I can be long winded.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Well, all f bodies seem a bit loud to me.

A few things you can do. Drive slower, DynoMat the crap out of the interior and track down little things that can cause exsessive noise.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by samson_420
Well, all f bodies seem a bit loud to me.

A few things you can do. Drive slower, DynoMat the crap out of the interior and track down little things that can cause exsessive noise.
Dynomat???

I guess I can always google it or search threads on here, but is it basically after market insulation for the door and interior panels? Like Styrofoam almost? Have you tried it? And good one..."drive slower"...I will do my best. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

There are a few forms of DynaMat(sorry not DynoMat). Either a spray or stick on crap.

It's a tar insulation for blocking out noise.

Look it up, it works well. I don't use it, I like my car loud(it never gets driven). I think it is un-necessary weight.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Teching In

I had a rattle that was driving me crazy, then when I had a passenger, the noise was gone...hmmmmm. Turns out it was (and is) the springs or something else loose in the passenger seat.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dipstick99
I had a rattle that was driving me crazy, then when I had a passenger, the noise was gone...hmmmmm. Turns out it was (and is) the springs or something else loose in the passenger seat.
Yeah, my "rattle" seems to come from the rear passenger side, almost liek the glass in the rear hatch and/or trunk and spolier are causing a vibration sound at high speeds.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PMCSPIDER
Now, I understand the WS6 is not the most aero-dynamic sports car out there, with the spoiler and all. I also realize the LS1 enging is designed more for the harmonically balanced frame and body of the Corvetter and SS. But there has to be something that I can adjust, tweak or tighten, to minimize the amount of ground noise resonating through the cabin while I drive.
You know the Camaro and firebird are the same cars right? Just checking...
I mean when I drive down the hwy, I cant hear the radio or my full after-market Pioneer Premier/Sony Xplode audio system. What might help? Has anyone else battled this issus before?

I figured it could be (actually hoped) that it was just un-balanced wheels and tires, or a loose panel.
Ok I'm kinda lost. The way you are talking it sounds like wind noise, but also some kind of rattle? Is it a "whom whom whom whom" kind of noise? (could be the axle if so)
What kind of tires are you running also?
I plan on up-grading the overall suspension components to better after-market components after I can afford to do so. So, until then, does anyone have any personal stories and/or suggestions that might help me?

I guy at work who is an "ex-ls1 gear head" (he went to the foreign import car scene) said that that is just how those cars are....going back to the reference of the WS6 not being "harmonically balanced" like the Corvette.

Anyways, two sentences and a question mark would have gotten the topic on here quicker, but I can be long winded.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
I don't know about "thats how these cars are" because my two subs (the ones next to the back seats) are disconnected (blown out) and I can hear the radio just fine at high speeds even without them... I have no rattles/vibrations at all, just some wind noise (see t-tops), but not an unbearable amount by any means.

Originally Posted by PMCSPIDER
Yeah, my "rattle" seems to come from the rear passenger side, almost liek the glass in the rear hatch and/or trunk and spolier are causing a vibration sound at high speeds.

Any thoughts?
Did you try messing with the rubber screw thingys that adjust how the rear hatch closes? (one on each side of the hatch)
Also, check spare tire to see if its loose.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, yes drivetrain-wise and suspension the SS & WS6 are identical for the most part. But the actaul body of the cars are a lot different. The SS is more sleek, adn bullet like. Especially considering the *** end of the cars. The spoiler is substantially more pronounced and exaggerated if you will compared to the compact and tight make-up of the SS. The rear hatch and back glass is a little bit larger than the SS (matter of an inch or two max). So this is why I thought it "could" be the design of the car.

Now, it ahd the entire rear-end and axle rebuilt about 5K miles ago, and I have not driven the crap out of it since.

BUT! When you ask about tires...I have the stock Speedline's that have never been nicked, or anything like that, so I assume they are fairly balanced. The tires are a good Brand (Nitto), but often get low on air levels, and tread wear is nearing the "back-9" of their life expectancy if you will. They probably have 25% tread left on them.

...So shitty tires, low air pressure, and possible case of one or all tires being low on air, could cause the vibrations, especially at high speeds. I think I know the answer to my pwn question. Tires, and possibly re-do the weather stripping and seal on the back-hatch. Maybe even ensure that the spoiler is extra tight, as I just had the whole car repainted recently.

Your thoughts?