Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Edelbrock LSx Intake Manifold at SEMA, claiming much more power than FAST

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:32 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AINT SKEERED
http://forums.edelbrock.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637

I just found this, looks pretty damn promising. THis was over the 90 mm version truck intake, i am running the 78 mm truck intake on my nova. Next on my list of things to do.
The gains over the truck intake aren't anything special as the ls6 intake has similar gains.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LS6 DOES NOT gain almost 40 hp at 6500 rpm over a truck intake.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:41 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ls6 intakes make less power then truck intakes
Old 02-20-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AINT SKEERED
did this intake FLoP?
No, they work great. I have seen a couple on conversions. Gotta have your motor set up to spin to take advantage of it though. It won't clear a F-body,GTO,C5 hood and cowl easily so hardly anybody on this board runs it...
Old 02-26-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

updates>?
Old 02-26-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by studderin
updates>?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post12954322
Old 02-27-2010, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Default Will we ever have a real dyno test on the XT???

I read through this entire thread all 45 pages long, and still no one can come up with a side by side dyno test showing the entire power band of this manifold such as: stock LS6 vs LS6 motor with edelbrock XT intake manifold, or even a modified LS motor with the LS6 intake manifold vs edelbock XT intake vs a fast intake etc? I even tried googling from any source, magazine tests etc and got nothing on the entire internet.

To me this extremely frustrating. This XT manifold has been out since 2008 and here we are in 2010 and no one can come up with a dyno test on this LS edelbtock XT manifold showing where the power gains are (besides just at peak at 6500 RPM from edlebrock's marketing department). Are you freaking kidding me??? Distributors, engine builder shops, speed shops, drag racers, anyone??? Edelbrock where are you??? Why wont edelbrock release XT dyno tests to the public? I called them and they have nothing to release, they just refer to the marketing blurb at 6500 RPM and try to assure me its a good manifold.

I personally am brand new to LS motors but not drag racing, high performance, dyno tests and turbo boosting. And I am trying to make a buying decision here. I dont want to spend 1000+ on a fast. I just bought a used LQ4 truck motor with 317 heads and my plan is to swap in a comp cams turbo hydraulic roller cam with matching valve springs and titanium retainers, ARP rod bolts, my built powerglide dropped into my 1988 5.0 mustang hatch roller car with 3.73 gears and go 1/8th mile drag racing. Its a drag only budget 1/8th mile drag car ala tire fryin S10's and Dman's (turbo boosted LS motors in fox body mustangs). My desired power band is launching on the 2 step at about 3800and shifting at about 6000.

I read & own a fantastic book (5.0L dyno tests by George Holdener" that has over 2000 dyno pulls on the ford 5.0 302, 351W, including stock stroke motors and strokers. They did extensive testing of intake manifolds on fuel injected engines. Basically the longer runners such as the LS6 manifold style of manifold had a LOT more low and mid range torque and horsepower than the short runner length or box style upper intake manifolds or any carbed set ups. With fuel injectors right on the intake ports you can make the intake runners very long adding tons of low and mid range torque to the motor. If the manifold is designed right (aftermarket) it will be much stronger with gobs of low and midrange torque all the way to 6500, or 7000 RPM.

After lots of dyno testing it was concluded in that book that the intake runner lengths on fuel injected motors had WAY more impact determining the motors power band than even the cam! On carbed manifolds you cant have very long intake runners do to fuel puddling and lowered fuel velocity. Boosting does NOT fundementally change the designed operating power band of a fuel injected motors intake manifold. It may extend the power band on a long runner intake, but will not make up for loss of low and midrange torque on a short runner or box style intake.

The only exception funny enough was by edelbrock. The victor 5.0 beating out the cobra manifold from 4000 to 6000 RPM. The victor 5.0 was expected to lose down low and midrange and come on like bang busters at 5500+ because its intake runners are bit shorter than the cobras. And the box style upper intakes (before hand conventional wisdom was with boost, long intake runners arnt needed) even under boost they lost lots of low and mid range torque but came on above 5500 rpm strong.

My conclusion after writing this book lol (didnt mean to have such a long thread reply). Is that most likely Edelbrocks own dyno tests show the manifold only superior to the LS6 at higher RPM levels. Otherwise what are they hiding???

Wouldnt even a speed parts seller who comes on this site want to show a dyno test with the XT vs LS6 being superior at low and mid range RPM'S too? If they did their XT manifold sales would explode overnight with mega orders so whats holding them back???

My only hesitation at jumping to the conclusion that the XT loses low and midrange torque is that edelbrock did somehow make the 5.0 victor manifold work with shorter intake runners.

Will this be this site's forever unanswered question??? Will we ever have a real dyno test comparison for all to see instead of endless speculation and maybe another 50 pages??? lol

Hpbob
Old 05-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Launching!

BUMP for any more info
Old 05-20-2010, 09:10 AM
9 Second Club

Well, I will be running this intake on my 02 Trans-am. in the process of building my truck manifold turbo kit, 78mm Precision turbo. Can't wait to see what this intake does on boost! However it will be a while til I get everything done.....i will post up numbers when it's done though.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Teching In

did anyone ever do a dyno comparison between the ls6 and this pro-flow xt or even the truck manifold vs the pro flow xt?
i have this on my lq9 with heads cam and injector/ rail upgrade. if no ones done it yet when i take mine to the dyno ill bring them both and do it so at least theres one answer to this never ending question.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by prerun400hp
did anyone ever do a dyno comparison between the ls6 and this pro-flow xt or even the truck manifold vs the pro flow xt?
i have this on my lq9 with heads cam and injector/ rail upgrade. if no ones done it yet when i take mine to the dyno ill bring them both and do it so at least theres one answer to this never ending question.
No one post results if they do. how do you like it so far? I have a truck intake on my nova but would like to try the edelbrock. let us know when you dyno and what your setup is.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

really would like to see updates since I am in the market for a new intake. I have a sunoco so I am not worried about clearence. My motor build will live in the upper RPMS (4.30s gears, big cam, heads) so this really appeals to me.

Everyone knows that a FAST 90/92 unported gets on average (dont flame me) 10 rwhp over the ls6 intake on the top end. If this intake really gets 25 more than a ls6 @6.5k, it would be a great option for big cam guys. To bad there isnt much info out there.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

The shops have had a chance to test them, the fact no one is posting results tells me not to fool with it and im in the same boat as you. big cam, light car with 8" converter.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
No, they work great. I have seen a couple on conversions. Gotta have your motor set up to spin to take advantage of it though. It won't clear a F-body,GTO,C5 hood and cowl easily so hardly anybody on this board runs it...
yes it will clear the fbody hood with some work

also as far as well as it works
my stock bottom end(with bad rings) ms4 and prc ls6 stg2 heads made 470rwhp through a six speed and 9in rear on 28in tall m/t drags
and this was on a low reading dyno
so in my opinion it works very well with the right combo
im keeping it for my boost build
Old 02-18-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tripblackls1

my stock bottom end(with bad rings) ms4 and prc ls6 stg2 heads made 470rwhp through a six speed and 9in rear on 28in tall m/t drags
Do you have a dyno graph? Was this on a 5.7?
Old 02-18-2011, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Did you happen to dyno it with the other intake as well with same mods?
Old 02-18-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

No my ls6 was long gone at that time
It was on 5.7 stock bottom end car, I don't have my Dyno sheet anymore but I can pm the tuner that dynoed it and see if he still has one
Old 02-18-2011, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh btw that was making Dyno pulls to 7000rpms and the car still pulled like crazy all the way to the 7500 rev limiter
Old 02-18-2011, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Oh btw that was making Dyno pulls to 7000rpms and the car still pulled like crazy all the way to the 7500 rev limiter
I have one under a sunoco hood. YES it does pull like crazy all the way to the rev limiter. I should have dyno numbers in a month or two
Old 02-18-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02Sweet
I have one under a sunoco hood. YES it does pull like crazy all the way to the rev limiter. I should have dyno numbers in a month or two
Any comparos from your old intaker set up?

Quick Reply: New Edelbrock LSx Intake Manifold at SEMA, claiming much more power than FAST