Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

more questions about ebay headers i know...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more questions about ebay headers i know...

i am kind of tight on money and i dont have alot to spend on long tubes but i am wanting to get some off of ebay because the price is right but i have heard things about them for a long time such as fitment and things of that nature but does anyone say go for them ? any brands on ebay that are worth anything ? any comments would be greatly appreciated i just dont want to get screwed i guess
Old 11-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Ebay headers = you get what you pay for. Pacesetters are a pretty cheap alternative and have a good fit with about the same power gains as every other LT header. You could even get the painted ones, they just won't last as long.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:42 AM
TECH Addict

Save. Get atleast pacesetters.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I've got to say I'm very impressed with mine! The fit and quality impressed me. I installed them myself and no problems at all. And the best part is the sound. With a Hooker catback, the sound is fantastic! And thats not just my opinion( which is the only one that counts) but from many other people. I've had thumbs up from guys running next to me on the street many times!
But since I bought mine I believe we have had several suppliers make available stainless steel headers on this site at a competative price so check those out. The thing with ebay is you are taking a chance- if something is wrong with them you may have problems getting satisfaction from the seller as opposed to the suppliers on this site.I knew I was gambling, took the chance, and won! Just my two cents!
Old 11-22-2008, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Default if you only knew

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
Save. Get atleast pacesetters.
have you ever seen the 2 compared or owned both?i have and i disagree...my cheapos made the namebrand look like ****..and they slide rite in

if youre motor mounts are old and saggy you will need new ones or will need to grind a little on the kmember...

i think they could make more power than the pace$3tter due to them being equal length and the pace$3tters not....

a good header at a fraction of the cost...
Old 11-23-2008, 01:31 AM
12 Second Club

I'm not here to insult poeple...ok, nevermind, I am here to **** a few people off. Every time this question is asked, people without any personal experience will answer either to up their post count or to give bad second hand advice. I wish people without any experience would just shut the f@#k up and let people who have a clue answer the question.

I have them...the first run that still had all of the emissions crap on them. I had to remove the tubes and weld them up. I also had to put a small dent in one of the tubes to clear the starter, but this was on an 04 GTO engine going into my TA. The starter is actually up a little higher than on a normal LS1. Not the header's fault. I also didn't like how the driver's side header pointed upwards and I had to make an S curve to make the y-pipe. If I were to make another y-pipe, I would cut 3-4 inches off the collector to make a more gentle transition.

As far as bad quality...I have over 30,000 miles on mine with absolutely no problems. That being said, I don't like their y-pipe that they make...or just about any other commercial y-pipe for that matter. I used a Flowmaster merge to a reducer to make the transition as gentle as possible. I would not use a y-pipe that slams both banks together at a 90 degree angle.

As far as go with pacesetters...why in the hell would anyone with an IQ over 20 ever buy a mild steel header when a stainless header is available at the same price?

Am I happy with mine...yes. Would I buy them again...no. I was in a tight spot when I built my car and needed it running as quickly as possible. If I were to replace them now, I would spend the extra money and go with ARH just because I like their product more and feel I would get a few extra ponies from the swap. Probably not cost effective, but I still feel like I left a few on the table though.

I hope this helps!

Galen
Old 12-02-2008, 02:39 AM
Launching!

^^^^good write-up.....ebay gets my vote. ordered mine already
Old 12-02-2008, 04:20 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My ebay headers fit like crap, I'm pretty sure I got the worst set ever made. I had to smash the firewall a bit, notch about 1/2" out of drivers side and passenger side k-member. Grind the block where the starter bolts up, grind the starter in 2 places. Also had to cut the drivers side header and reangle the collector downwards. The headers were quality but I must have got a bad set. I also installed poly motor mounts and after I took it for a test drive the motor settled into a new position and rubber the drivers side K member again. I must say its real fun to notch your k-member while your headers are in! Oh ya the passenger's side header, the 02 sensor bung is welded down at an angle so now my 02 sensor is the lowest point of the exhaust. Just amazing, hope I dont break off my 02 sensor before I relocate the bung. My friend and I built a custom y pipe that fit the car, not bad for our first time. Nobody would build a y-pipe since the car no long has cats.