Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Direct Hits ignition

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct Hits ignition

Does anyone have any experience on how the direct hits ignition system works? If so, do you have Dyno results I could see?
Old 09-30-2003, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Direct Hits ignition

Since no one has an answer for you, I'll give my opinion. I believe the factory ignition system is so powerful, that gains from an aftermarket booster of any type will be pretty much non-existent.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:44 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreeable, using spark plugs, is tried and true + cheaper! A good set of NGK plugs, and some MSD wires will do the trick just fine. Our ignition system truly is awesome, you really don't have to upgrade much at all, even on a high horsepower motor in my oppinion. Just wires and plugs will do you fine.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:25 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

although...sometimes a relocation kit can make it look a lot better
Old 10-01-2003, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Off topic...but I notice that you are in the AF and in Utah. I had the EXTREME misfortune of being stationed at Hill for 2 years, 3 months, 15 days and 6 hours. Where are you at on base (I was 729th).

Hows the car scene out there these days? There wasn't much happening when I was there. Ever do any street racing out there?
Old 10-01-2003, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Thanks all for your answers...

I'm with the 649th Combat Logistics Support Squadron... Been here for a while as my children live with my ex here, thus I am here to stay...

Old 10-01-2003, 05:45 PM
Teching In

I use to drag race in Washington state... Did some solo racing here with another car i use to have. There is a lot of race action as well as car shows here. I am not racing now as I'm busy with a lot of other stuff, but on occassion get an anoyance next to me wanting to race and I let her rip...these cars are fast...but I want faster...thus I am trying to improve it any way I can.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Since no one has an answer for you, I'll give my opinion. I believe the factory ignition system is so powerful, that gains from an aftermarket booster of any type will be pretty much non-existent.
A couple questions if you don't mind:
Does the LS1 ignition system use multiple sparks or long duration spark at lower revs?
Does anyone know where I can get some in depth information on the DIS used on the GEN III motors?

As for the original question you really only gain peak HP from an ignition system if your current system is lacking. Most modern DIS systems are extremely powerful-in some cases several times more powerful than the older HEI systems.
Multiple sparks and long duration sparks can have some benefits in the lower RPM range and can improve idle quality.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I use this system on both of my 8.1 trucks. I found the throttle response to be a little better and I did note that the mileage improved in each truck. My C5 will be getting this system along with a few other mods next week

Tom

Quick Reply: Direct Hits ignition