Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR Removal? Pros? Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
LOL. Choco.

The EGR, or Exhaust gas recirculation valve, is what recycles warm air back into the intake. Not the air pump.
lol that made my day
Old 12-26-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
They break off because 500 degree air moving rapidly out of the engine at high pressure is pushing against the block-off plate when they're blocked off. Eventually, years of high temperatures and high pressure weaken the little tiny tubes, which are by far the weakest link in the headers. In some cases, the tubes blow off. It doesn't happen when they're not blocked off because that pressure escapes through the AIR system. There is no pressure build-up.

This is the reason why I haven't removed my AIR system yet. It's already been tuned out and I've had the block-off plates for almost a year and a half along with a plug for my lid. I'm just afraid of the tubes blowing off. I should have bought the race version. I would have saved money, too
I've been using AIR blockoff plates for almost 5 years on my headers, and the tubes have not come anywhere near breaking off
Old 12-26-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Good info guys , dont have the pump and was curious about why my ses light was on.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts

Get a tune and there is zero downside to removing AIR. The only downside to removing EGR is that your idle won't be as smooth. Will you notice? Probably not.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
LOL. Choco.

The EGR, or Exhaust gas recirculation valve, is what recycles warm air back into the intake. Not the air pump.
You totally misunderstood my post. I'm saying the point of the AIR system is to warm up the catalytic converters faster, not to put "clean air" into the exhaust. It's warm air that's key. The AIR pump shuts down at operating temps. It's the EGR system that works continuously and works by recirculating warm air into the engine to reduce emissions. The way you wrote your description of the AIR system was very unclear.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 12-26-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Strahley
I've been using AIR blockoff plates for almost 5 years on my headers, and the tubes have not come anywhere near breaking off
Right, but every post I've ever seen of the AIR tubes blowing off has been in cases where the AIR system has been removed. I'm willing to bet it's because putting the block-off plates on moves the point of greatest pressure inside the flimsy AIR tubes, making them more prone to failure as opposed to the AIR system being present. I tend to have bad luck with stuff and it would be just my luck that the AIR tubes would blow off my headers after I blocked them off.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:02 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
That's a whole lot of hypothetical, that's all I've got to say on it.
Yea, but since every post I've ever seen of AIR tubes blowing off has been with systems that run block-off plates, it's the only reason I can come up with.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:19 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
You totally misunderstood my post. I'm saying the point of the AIR system is to warm up the catalytic converters faster, not to put "clean air" into the exhaust. It's warm air that's key. The AIR pump shuts down at operating temps. It's the EGR system that works continuously and works by recirculating warm air into the engine to reduce emissions. The way you wrote your description of the AIR system was very unclear.
It doesn't pump warm air in, just clean unburnt oxygen. Oxygen is what heats up the cats faster. It's a chemical thing, not the temp of the air. You think that little pump heats that air up hotter than the exhaust air that's being pumped through it? Didn't You call it 500 degree air earlier

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 12-27-2008, 05:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is another one that just had it happen. It does seem to usually happen to the people that have the AIR fittings blocked off. If I were to do it again, I would just buy the race headers without any AIR or EGR fittings.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...le-header.html
Old 12-27-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The tube break-off may be due to 2 things combining to produce the breakage:
1. the welding of the tube on the primary may have made the primary brittle due to incorrect heat and/or contamination during welding;
2. without the AIR plumbing attached, the tubes may resonate with engine vibration and this resonance may eventually break off the tube in combination with 1. above (resonance is the frequency at which an object vibrates very easily and with large amplitude; determined by 1/mass and length); the AIR plumbing dampens the vibration so the resonance does not occur (the resonance frequency is moved away from the the engine vibration frequency).

Last edited by joecar; 12-28-2008 at 06:10 AM.