Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question on swaping to ls6 pcv

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quick question on swaping to ls6 pcv

I am switching to the ls6 pcv system. I have the intake off and I am ready to take off the valley cover and dremel off the piece of the black. I have a quick question though, this might be dumb, but what do I do with the coolant crossover lines? In the guide from ls1howto.com there is no mention of them, but it looks like whoever is doing it switches there coolant lines. Also, if I unbolt those lines is coolant going to go everywhere? Might sound like a dumb question, but I have never had to deal with the lines yet. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes coolant will come out of those lines, but dont think its gonna gush out, if your not changing intakes, like to fast, then i wouldnt switch over to the later style coolant lines
Old 12-26-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats fine, I don't mind if if anything comes out. Just wanted to be prepared for massive spray or something. I remember when I did stuff on my mustang stuff shot everywhere lol. Anyway, can you reuse those lines with the ls6 system?
Old 12-26-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by motoo344
Thats fine, I don't mind if if anything comes out. Just wanted to be prepared for massive spray or something. I remember when I did stuff on my mustang stuff shot everywhere lol. Anyway, can you reuse those lines with the ls6 system?
this wont shoot out, but it will leak, after your done, your gonna have to put some dexcool in your cooling system!!
Old 12-26-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright thanks, it just didn't say anything in the ls1howto guide, I didn't know if it was common knowledge or anything.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone else? I feel like I am missing something.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a kit to convert the coolant lines if you ever decide to do an LS6 manifold swap. Basically it removes the line running under the manifold and blocks the 2 back coolant ports on the heads. But if you are just removing the lines temporarily, let the engine cool down and drain some fluid to keep the dribble to a min. You may get lucky and not have to grind anything once you pull the valley cover off. I have a 2000 car also and didn't have to. It was a very nice surprise not have to deal with that.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

I just went back to the LS1HowTo site and it is misleading. Picture #5 where the manifold is coming off shows the coolant line in place over the valley cover but the rest of the shots shows the blockoffs are already installed and make no mention of them. See the back of the heads pic #9, you can barely see one of the blockoffs already installed. Check out that sites other article about switching to an LS6 manifold for a better description of those pipes and how to convert them. http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5
Attached Thumbnails Quick question on swaping to ls6 pcv-knocksensor_remove.jpg  
Old 12-27-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have already switched to the ls6 intake. I just need to know if I have to go the new coolant lines for the pcv system. I noticed that the pcv port comes out of the front of valley cover and it looks like with the stock ls1 lines it might hit, but I guess I can see when they come.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

I had already made the switch to the LS6 coolant lines before I did the pcv upgrade, so I didn't have that problem. It does look as though the stock front line will be in the way. You may be able to tweak it a little to get it out the way though.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

You may have to bend it down a little bit, just be careful. If you bought the conversion kit, It will come with everything you need to do the swap. If you have to cut the piece off, just make sure you put towels in the holes and prepare to vaccum up all the metal pieces. It can get kind of messy.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well if it does not fit I am not going to force it. I will just order the ls6 lines. I am sure the ls1 coolant lines would fit, but from what it looks like the ls6 pcv port comes out on the passenger side right next to the tb and the way its angled up it may hit. If you look at pic 1 and 2 side by side it appears that the lines wont clear. I don't believe the kit comes with the coolant lines.

Also, in the ls1howto.com he chooses to use two front crossovers instead of plugs in the back. Do I only need to run the front coolant plug and block off plates in the back or do I need two front coolant lines for the front and back?

http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/geniii...//IMAGE010.jpg

http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/geniii..._installed.jpg
Old 12-28-2008, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

I don't care for the way he used the same front pipe part to used in the back also. Check out his other install link that shows the Intake Manifold swap http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5 , it gives you a better idea of how the new lines will work and the individual part numbers. If you notice in the pic I attached, he had to rig a rubber hose and a bolt to block the back pipe because it has nothing to connect to. Just one more place for a possible leak IMO. The kit you buy from several sponsors includes the 2 head plugs to be used in the back to block those holes off because you won't be running a pipe under the manifold connecting the 2 together anymore. The kit cost about $50 and includes the front pipe and the 2 back plugs.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=242&catid=12

Old 12-28-2008, 09:25 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by motoo344
Well if it does not fit I am not going to force it. I will just order the ls6 lines. I am sure the ls1 coolant lines would fit, but from what it looks like the ls6 pcv port comes out on the passenger side right next to the tb and the way its angled up it may hit. If you look at pic 1 and 2 side by side it appears that the lines wont clear. I don't believe the kit comes with the coolant lines.

Also, in the ls1howto.com he chooses to use two front crossovers instead of plugs in the back. Do I only need to run the front coolant plug and block off plates in the back or do I need two front coolant lines for the front and back?

http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/geniii...//IMAGE010.jpg

http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/geniii..._installed.jpg
Sorry, I thought you already had LS6 coolant lines. I would swap over to them if I were you. I am not an advocate of trimming the bottom of the LS6 intake to make the LS1 coolant lines fit. You should be acle to use the block offs for the back and the line for the front.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its fine. I just didn't wanna block off something that wasn't suppose to be blocked lol. I guess I will order the kit, thanks.