Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

confused about 02s

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confused about 02s

im in the process of getting everything i need or my header install and got a ?. they are longtube and i i dont have to worry about emissions i should just get the rear o2s tuned out correct? wil my stock front o2s be fine with my headers? and then get the rear o2 spots on the headers welded up?? sorry for the dumb question thanks tho!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Your question is a little confusing. The best thing to do, depending on the headers would be to get extensions from the front o2s into the headers and get o2 simulators to put in the back two. Then if you're still having problems, get them tuned out. Other than that, there should only be front o2 spots on the headers. And you NEED those.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

the bungs in the headers are for the front o2`s. it will be in your best interst to get vette o2`s. not only do they have longer wire connectors so o2 extensions wont be needed, but they also run run hotter. that way you wont be getting any ses codes. for the money you would pay for simulators, you could put it towards tuning. then you could tune the rear o2`s out, turn the emissions off, amongst other things. go to your local parts store and get a pair of o2`s from somewhere around 99-04. youll know you have the right one when the connector wire is about 3ft long.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trey1010
im in the process of getting everything i need or my header install and got a ?. they are longtube and i i dont have to worry about emissions i should just get the rear o2s tuned out correct? wil my stock front o2s be fine with my headers? and then get the rear o2 spots on the headers welded up?? sorry for the dumb question thanks tho!
I would get extensions and re-use the stock AC Delco sensors in the front. I've never had any luck with Bosch Corvette sensors, I went through three sets in a short time, they kept setting codes!

Have someone shut off the AIR and rear o2 sensor codes. I don't think o2 sims are available anymore. (The company that was making them got their asses reamed and shut down by the government.)

There will only be one set of bungs on the headers. The y-pipe is where the rear bungs would be, but if you buy an "off-road" y-pipe it probably won't have bungs, and if it did I wouldn't weld them closed, instead I would get plugs for them.

Enjoy....
Old 01-10-2009, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
I would get extensions and re-use the stock AC Delco sensors in the front. I've never had any luck with Bosch Corvette sensors, I went through three sets in a short time, they kept setting codes!

Have someone shut off the AIR and rear o2 sensor codes. I don't think o2 sims are available anymore. (The company that was making them got their asses reamed and shut down by the government.)

There will only be one set of bungs on the headers. The y-pipe is where the rear bungs would be, but if you buy an "off-road" y-pipe it probably won't have bungs, and if it did I wouldn't weld them closed, instead I would get plugs for them.

Enjoy....
A good tune out is advised, that's what I plan on doing when converting mine and removing my AIR and EGR systems, but if you do decide to go with o2 sims:
http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...roducts_id=375
There are some cheaper ones if you search around however, I found a 'set' for 50 bucks yesterday.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the replys guys. ok so i will need the vette o2s for the place on the headers ? ? wheres the best place to order those? thanks guys again just want to have everything in order before i start.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

You want the post-cat O2's for a 97-04 Vette. 3 or 4 brands to choose from but the Bosch p/n 13111 or Desno p/n 234-4617 seem to be popular.

http://www.oxygensensors.com/catalog...0024#Location2

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...N=700+150+510+

thanks for the replys guys. ok so i will need the vette o2s for the place on the headers ? ? wheres the best place to order those? thanks guys again just want to have everything in order before i start.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

I've been down this road and I think the Bosch sensors are a waste of time/money. Check out this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...n-sensors.html

Short version: Bosch 13111 Corvette sensors switched much slower, so slow they set codes. I went through three sets of them and each time they set codes after a very short time. Once I switched to a new set of AC Delco sensors I was good to go. This is why I recommend re-using stock sensors with extensions. Good luck if you get Bosch.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00Antivenom
A good tune out is advised, that's what I plan on doing when converting mine and removing my AIR and EGR systems, but if you do decide to go with o2 sims:
http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...roducts_id=375
There are some cheaper ones if you search around however, I found a 'set' for 50 bucks yesterday.
I guess there are still some kicking around. I'd still pass on them. They don't always work, from what I've read on here.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...aa/casper.html

Casper's Electronics Inc. Clean Air Act Settlement

WASHINGTON - The Department of Justice and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced today a landmark settlement requiring Casper's Electronics, of Mundelein, Ill., to pay a penalty and stop selling devices that allow cars to release excess levels of pollution into the environment, in violation of the Clean Air Act (CAA).

Today's settlement, the first of its kind, requires Casper's to stop selling electronic devices-known as oxygen sensor simulators or "O2 Sims"-recall the devices, and pay more than $74,000 in civil penalties to the United States. An O2 Sim tricks an automobile engine's computer into sensing a properly functioning emission control system, even when the catalytic converter is missing or faulty. These "after-market" sensors are considered illegal "defeat devices" under the federal CAA.

Casper's has sold approximately 44,000 defeat devices through retailers and from its Web site since 2001. The EPA estimates that the increased emissions from installation of these devices over the life of the vehicles are 7,400 tons of hydrocarbons, 347,000 tons of carbon monoxide, and 6,000 tons of nitrogen oxides. This is equivalent to the emissions produced by a half-million cars with fully operational emission control systems over their lifetimes.

"Reliable and effective automobile pollution control systems are essential to protect human health and the environment from harmful automobile emissions," said Granta Nakayama, the EPA's Assistant Administrator for enforcement and compliance assurance. " Casper 's sale of the oxygen sensor simulator defeat devices over a multi-year period is a serious violation because it facilitated the removal or malfunctioning of motor vehicle catalytic converters, which are the primary emission controls devices to prevent excessive pollution from cars and trucks."
Old 01-10-2009, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
I guess there are still some kicking around. I'd still pass on them. They don't always work, from what I've read on here.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...aa/casper.html
Ouch. Hm..."Let's be as harsh as possible on the American racing enthusiests."
Damn government.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok but what if i am not running cats, then me putting post cat o2s in would just set a code, correct? So in that case i had better get the post o2s tuned out and get extensions for the pre cat o2s?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Ok but what if i am not running cats, then me putting post cat o2s in would just set a code, correct? So in that case i had better get the post o2s tuned out and get extensions for the pre cat o2s?
Exactly right, Watson. Even if you were running cats, very few setups with LTs have spots for post cat o2s.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thank u soi will just order some vette o2s or extensionz for the pre cats . thanks everyone!