Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I sealed my airbox completely....

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01z
so do i just need to cut the piece under the filter to achieve this???

right now i just have a slp lid, so it still sucks in the air from the front
you'd have to remove your radiator brace to get that direct in flow.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01z
so do i just need to cut the piece under the filter to achieve this???

right now i just have a slp lid, so it still sucks in the air from the front
Most people don't want to cut their cars up, because we all know they're going to be worth millions in the future.
Thats a pic of mine, I cut the radiator core support out, not the whole thing, just under the air box, and I left the front part where the hood latch bolts to.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Most people don't want to cut their cars up, because we all know they're going to be worth millions in the future.
Thats a pic of mine, I cut the radiator core support out, not the whole thing, just under the air box, and I left the front part where the hood latch bolts to.
Any noticeable gain with it like that?
Old 02-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
What? Huh? The title is " So I sealed my airbox completely" WTF does a ram air kit have to do with my question? Stop being a smartass since you don't have anything to add to my question...

Did you read the thread? The OP has a ftra, thats the point he was making by sealing it up, so the air incoming from the FTRA was the only source, sealing up the lid and the front of the airbox.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
Any noticeable gain with it like that?
We had a cold front come in, so no not yet.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:54 AM
TECH Regular

Thank you for a mature response, but I still don't understand how the original poster thinks that he will see any performance gain or mileage increase?
Pressurized by the ram air system.

What? Huh? The title is " So I sealed my airbox completely" WTF does a ram air kit have to do with my question? Stop being a smartass since you don't have anything to add to my question...
The OP has a fast toys ram air system and sealed his airbox to get better pressurization of the lid. Without pressurization, you can't get as many of the increases in performance as you could otherwise. Instead of accusing me of being a smartass, please try reading the thread instead next time.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:56 AM
TECH Regular

Can you find some of these pages? I'm interested now.
I've got them bookmarked at work - I'll nab them tomorrow when I'm in
Old 02-02-2009, 09:08 AM
01z
TECH Regular

lol

i think im gunna do this mod today. the price is right, FREE
Old 02-02-2009, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
Pressurized by the ram air system.

The OP has a fast toys ram air system and sealed his airbox to get better pressurization of the lid. Without pressurization, you can't get as many of the increases in performance as you could otherwise. Instead of accusing me of being a smartass, please try reading the thread instead next time.
Exactly, I put weatherstripping on all sides under the lower air box, and i put a tape-like weatherstripping around all sides of the lid itself. The only real problem is im going to have to re-do it somewhat when i need to replace the air filter. Honestly, I think the unsealed lid is much worse than stock. Also, the FTRA was practically useless because much of the air sucked through it went out in the leaks from the lid. As for the mileage change. There is a definite difference. I have been average about 18.5 city driving it hard, when I used to get 15.5-16.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:11 AM
01z
TECH Regular

im going to seal mine tomorrow, i did the fra today!! i will post "*** dyno" results
Old 02-03-2009, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure about all of this...I have cut out the bottom of the lower air box (fra) and removed the baffle from the WS-6 hood.
I have a Direct Flo lid and my car runs awesome with this set-up.
Air comes up from the bottom and flows in from the hood scoops..
check my sig..
Old 02-03-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO just a simple removal of the CRAP that they put in the hood nostrils helps alot! all you have to do is drill out the rivets.. there are 2 black things that need to be removed and a huge air director thing. that and sealing it all up to where the only air entering in your engine is the air coming in though the nose, would be the best way at acheiveing the ultimate hp/mpg gain. this would be true RAMAIR....i personaly would rather have that then something blocking my radiator... yaya no big deal, I LIVE IN TEXAS haha... plus the water suckage? if its pulling SOOO much vaccuum, then gravity wont stop the water from coming in, cuz it will be SUCKED in... but of course, im a newb and its only my opinion... but im going to remove the reset of the JUNK in myhood at lunch today, and weather strip it all up to where only air enters the nose....this method is a DIRECT jet of air into the intake.... jsut my 0.02$
Old 02-03-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

So for an extra 0.2 vacuum I should spend $200?

Why not just get some slicks, you'll see a definite improvement at the track.

Besides chris and install university, where are your other independent testers.

Me. Although I didn't spend nearly that much LOL

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...m-ram-air.html

Sux2bu.

etc etc etc etc etc.......There are tons of people with results.

I used two aluminum dryer ducts. IATs before? 130s. After? Like 95 on when it was 93 out WHEN IDLING IN PARK. Key words there. Idling.

Oh and btw, I had the free version where you cut and I was getting 130s when idling. Granted it WOULD drop once you got going but why not drop it to ambient when your not moving.......like say at staging lights?

My car was 1/10th slower than my brother's t/a with a dyno verified 369whp on the same day with nearly the same 60 fts.

Last edited by Lickeyman; 02-03-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:30 AM
01z
TECH Regular

^^thats badass. i may rip you off and do a similar setup. but probably only 1 hose. or possibly 2 smaller hoses. i dont want to cut the radiator support unless i cant figure something else out
Old 02-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Banned

LOL, do you do HVAC work?
That looks like some dryer exhaust set ups I've done in custom homes.
Nice work.

Originally Posted by Lickeyman

Sux2bu.

I used two aluminum dryer ducts. IATs before? 130s. After? Like 95 on when it was 93 out WHEN IDLING IN PARK. Key words there. Idling.

Oh and btw, I had the free version where you cut and I was getting 130s when idling. Granted it WOULD drop once you got going but why not drop it to ambient when your not moving.......like say at staging lights?

My car was 1/10th slower than my brother's t/a with a dyno verified 369whp on the same day with nearly the same 60 fts.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01z
^^thats badass. i may rip you off and do a similar setup. but probably only 1 hose. or possibly 2 smaller hoses. i dont want to cut the radiator support unless i cant figure something else out
You'll have to cut it unless you want to make some sort of crazy flat slit thing. 10x easier to cut. You never see it

LOL, do you do HVAC work?
That looks like some dryer exhaust set ups I've done in custom homes.
Nice work.
LOL nope never. Maybe I should look into it???

Pop is a plumber though.......You should see my "custom" copper nitrous line complete with home made jets LOL It's not installed yet but it's close. Can't beat free.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Can't beat free.
You could always get paid to take parts

On topic: Interesting mod, I'd be very interested in seeing if this resulted in better 1/4 times. Seems like a simple mod to do at the track. 2 or 3 runs before and 2 or 3 after sealing.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Sux2bu.

You know, you can make a point without coming across with an attitude. Like I said before, before anyone started taking parts of my statements out of their contexts, is that the FTRA, Sux2bu, SSRA take air from the outside, which, would help when you're idling for a while.

I said that. You can go look too.

My point was:

1. They reach the same temp when moving.

2. I don't see how the ftra causes pressurization.

THEN, I requested more info on it.

Thats what happened. Oh, and as for the search thing, I did that, but sometimes you have questions that search can't answer.

Last edited by Ironxcross; 02-03-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:34 AM
01z
TECH Regular

well i did the FRA, drove the ta to work yesterday. i can honestly say my "*** dyno" wasnt feeling much difference (if any). but on the other hand i dont see how it could hurt anything and it has got to be getting cooler air once moving. especially at freeway speeds (and beyond lol)
Old 02-04-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

You know, you can make a point without coming across with an attitude. Like I said before, before anyone started taking parts of my statements out of their contexts, is that the FTRA, Sux2bu, SSRA take air from the outside, which, would help when you're idling for a while.

I said that. You can go look too.

My point was:

1. They reach the same temp when moving.

2. I don't see how the ftra causes pressurization.

THEN, I requested more info on it.

Thats what happened. Oh, and as for the search thing, I did that, but sometimes you have questions that search can't answer.

1. I personally don't like the free ram air because you let air that was meant for the radiator go to the engine number 1 and number 2 it gets hot as F*&# idling or once warmed up. Moving along though it works, I have two dirty *** spots on my old filter that indicate air was slamming into it where the hole was cut below it. IMO the high IATs are the problem and the free ram air works at speed but doesn't solve the low speed issues except maybe a little less restriction which would help some.

2. Air dam under the car does it. Some guys overheat if it isn't under the car because it directs that much air.

Wasn't trying to be a dick sorry if I came across that way but your answer is found with search.

Quick Reply: So I sealed my airbox completely....