Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My catch can routing ok?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so what would happen if you didn't route everything back up properly, would the car just run like crap? I can smell oil burning now and never had that before. Is it the filtered oil cap?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by edge04
so what would happen if you didn't route everything back up properly, would the car just run like crap? I can smell oil burning now and never had that before. Is it the filtered oil cap?
It could cause poor performance. Concerning the valve cover breather, you will smell crankcase by products since they are vented to atmosphere. This is one of the many reasons I don't like venting to atmosphere.

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 07-06-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
From my experience, the second catch can on the clean air side is needed when road racing the car. For normal street driving, the dirty side catch can is adequate to catch most air born vapor (assuming the catch can is designed correctly). However, during road racing the top end of the engine becomes loaded with oil causing the clean air side to ingest oil into the intake.

From my experience, when I'm street driving the dirty side catches most of the oil vapor. During HPDE weekends, the clean air side usually catches just as much or more than the dirty side. This is why I run two separate catch cans.
I am not getting the whole concept here as far as racing conditions go...since the PCV system only works at idle and part throttle.I know the PCV valve opening is dependant on vacuum
Old 07-06-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lovescamaros28
I am not getting the whole concept here as far as racing conditions go...since the PCV system only works at idle and part throttle.I know the PCV valve opening is dependant on vacuum
The PCV system also works at WOT. The systems ability to PULL blowby by products out of the crankcase using engine vacuum is reduced because manifold vacuum is closer to atmospheric pressure. In all but the most efficient engines, a slight vacuum in the inake manifold will be present at WOT. The problem is that crankcase pressure is the highest when manifold vacuum is the lowest. When driving at high RPM's for long periods, a significant amount of crankcase pressure will build and remain present if PCV system flow isn't adequate. The stock LS PCV system is not adequate enough to completely relieve crankcase pressure leading to clean side reverse flow. This is a very common problem in any LS series engine using a closed PCV system in open track conditions or severe drag racing environments.

A variable orifice PCV valve regulates PCV flow using the pintle and manifold vacuum. High manifold vacuum pulls the pintle closed to reduce PCV flow. As manifold vacuum decreases, the pintle opens the orifice to allow increased PCV flow. With a fixed orifice valve, the size of the orifice regulates PCV flow independant of manifold vacuum.

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 07-06-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

Makes perfect sense now.I have done some research and found a lot of sources that agree with what you just typedhttp://www.automedia.com/PCV_Valve/ccr20050101pv/1.I got it backwards...the EGR system doesnt work at WOT.

Last edited by lovescamaros28; 07-06-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lovescamaros28
Makes perfect sense now.I have done some research and found a lot of sources that agree with what you just typedhttp://www.automedia.com/PCV_Valve/ccr20050101pv/1.However,I have obtained information from sources such as this that stress something completely different............see high manifold pressurehttp://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/PCV.htm
The 'High Manifold Presssure' section in the link http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/PCV.htm references engine backfire conditions within the intake manifold.

High Manifold Pressure
This mode corresponds to an intake backfire condition. Here, the high positive pressure in the manifold presses the disk tightly against the crankcase side seat, sealing the PCV valve and preventing flame propagation into the crankcase to prevent an explosion.

Any variable orifice PCV valve is designed to function in this manner. Fixed orifice PCV valves will not prevent crankcase pressurization caused by an intake backfire.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=405HP_Z06;11866760]The 'High Manifold Presssure' section in the link http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/PCV.htm references engine backfire conditions within the intake manifold.

Any variable orifice PCV valve is designed to function in this manner. Fixed orifice PCV valves will not prevent crankcase pressurization caused by an intake backfire.[/QUOTE

Yeah I noticed that after I posted it.Thanks for the little re-fresher on the PCV system though.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It could cause poor performance. Concerning the valve cover breather, you will smell crankcase byproduts since they are vented to atmosphere. This is one of the many reasons I don't like venting to atmosphere.
But will this smell be so strong that you would smell it from the car or by a person standing out on the road that you drove past?
Old 07-06-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

But will this smell be so strong that you would smell it from the car or by a person standing out on the road that you drove past?
Quite possibly. If the engine is loose enough to produce a serious amount of blowby, it could be detected by a passerby. Are you sure you have the system routed correctly? Are you using an external PCV valve? Refresh my memory on your exact configuration.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Quite possibly. If the engine is loose enough to produce a serious amount of blowby, it could be detected by a passerby. Are you sure you have the system routed correctly? Are you using an external PCV valve? Refresh my memory on your exact configuration.
Passenger side has one port upfront that I capped, I also capped the TB fresh air source and put on a filtered oil fill cap.

Driver side has one port in the rear that has the pcv valve and the hose runs from there into the top of my extreme can then out the side which has a built in pcv valve to the intake for vacuum. I did always hear hissing but thought it was the air entering the can, now I am wondering if the can has a leak?
Old 07-06-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Passenger side has one port upfront that I capped, I also capped the TB fresh air source and put on a filtered oil fill cap.

Driver side has one port in the rear that has the pcv valve and the hose runs from there into the top of my extreme can then out the side which has a built in pcv valve to the intake for vacuum. I did always hear hissing but thought it was the air entering the can, now I am wondering if the can has a leak?
Where does it attach at the intake?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where does it attach at the intake?
Same place it was before, it has a maggy super charger on it and the hose plugs in to the vacuum source.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Same place it was before, it has a maggy super charger on it and the hose plugs in to the vacuum source.
Okay, is it on the DL or DR on the front? Is your engine a ?
Old 07-07-2009, 06:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, is it on the DL or DR on the front? Is your engine a ?
Does that mean drivers left or right and not sure what a secret means but it is an LS2 with the SC installed in a 71 camaro. The vacuum sources are on top of each other and the bottom has the brake line and the top has the line from the catch can.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just pulled my intake and found a lot more oil then I would like to have.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...n/DSC02690.jpg

Im running the rev-xtreme can, with a LS6 valley cover. But I had the valve cover breather in the pass. VC. (plus the rear VC ports are conexted)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...n/IMG_2800.jpg

But 405_ is saying the breather mixes the clean and dirty sides. So I guess I should remove it. And run a line from the front port on the pass VC, to the TB nipple. Like this (green line)
http://www.andersonperformance.net/pcv-1ext.jpg

And that should help alot. But should I plug the rear ports on the VC, then the driver would have nothing, like in the diagram?
Old 07-08-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Does that mean drivers left or right and not sure what a secret means but it is an LS2 with the SC installed in a 71 camaro. The vacuum sources are on top of each other and the bottom has the brake line and the top has the line from the catch can.
Correct, drivers left and right. Is your can still hissing? Have you measured vacuum at this port under various conditions to ensure your not getting any boost here?
Old 07-11-2009, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by studderin
<Snip>But should I plug the rear ports on the VC, then the driver would have nothing, like in the diagram?
If you have ports on the rear of both valve covers you can connect them together with a single line to equalize pressure.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

sorry for not reading through all of this, i just wanted to verify that my routing will be ok. My setup is a NA LSX 454, wet sump, with GM Performance Parts valve covers and a RevXtreme catch can:

Name:  PCVCatchcanrouting.jpg
Views: 3434
Size:  23.4 KB

ANOTHER question i have is: what type of breather works and looks good with the GMPP valve covers? and where do i get them? assuming my routing is correct, i'm betting i have to make my own filler cap with a barb fitting installed...
Old 07-11-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
sorry for not reading through all of this, i just wanted to verify that my routing will be ok. My setup is a NA LSX 454, wet sump, with GM Performance Parts valve covers and a RevXtreme catch can:

<image snipped>

ANOTHER question i have is: what type of breather works and looks good with the GMPP valve covers? and where do i get them? assuming my routing is correct, i'm betting i have to make my own filler cap with a barb fitting installed...
The routing is correct. Any reason why you want to run a breather on the DS cover?
Old 07-11-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

The routing is correct. Any reason why you want to run a breather on the DS cover?
there's a hole in the valve cover...and i don't have anything else that will fit in it

also, that was how i was suggested to do it by Tracy at RevXtreme since i already had two valve covers with breather holes. If it isn't necessary, and someone will trade me a new GMPP Competition valve cover without the hole for mine, i'll trade...but if it isn't going to hurt anything than i'll leave it.

Quick Reply: My catch can routing ok?