Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My catch can routing ok?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 04:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Firstly I would like to add what others have already said and that's a BIG thank you for this post and all of its information.

My only comment would be if the pictures/Diagrams by 405HP Z06 could be separate from the rest of the text as understandably there are requests for clarification on designs scattered throughout the post. I think separating this would help and it would also mean that any additional diagrams could be added should anyone have a setup not already covered.

Great thread
Old 10-19-2013, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I I agree this thread rocks tons of info here hard to keep up but if anyone has any questions about what my setup does specifically please see the link in my signature or go ahead with the PM it doesn't work like everyone elses on the surface.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow..... Awesome thread.....

What PSI will a 04 LS6 PCV valve cope with before it lets pressure back in to the crank???

I'm running 8-9 psi at the moment. Could I use a second GM PCV valve inline as a Check valve after the catch can???

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

im running this setup (ls1 valley cover) and i was just wondering what to do with the hose that i took off from the rear of the passenger valve cover? do i just cap it off as well? or leave it open? sorry for the question and thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails My catch can routing ok?-pcv-1ls1ext.jpg  
Old 11-07-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtomLS1Z28
im running this setup (ls1 valley cover) and i was just wondering what to do with the hose that i took off from the rear of the passenger valve cover? do i just cap it off as well? or leave it open? sorry for the question and thanks for the help.
Cap it off, or run it into a 3/8" barbed Y and still use it.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

tomtom what can are you using?

it would be an improvement to Y the two ports together, best option would be to run that rear passenger one to the intake bellows and then the ports on the diagonal BOTH to the catch can.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry guys, but I still not exactly sure about this. I am running an 8ITB induction. I am not allowed to have a vent to atmosphere due to our emission laws.

I was planning on joining together the two rocker cover vents, also the valley cover vent and taking them into the catch can. Then take the CC to the end of the manifold block which i have taken each induction runner too. It also supplies vacuum to the brake booster. At this stage I am running no air box. Will this work, and do I have to run a non return valve in the line?

Name:  CCSetUp_zpsd67bc696.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  27.3 KB
Old 11-07-2013, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
tomtom what can are you using?

it would be an improvement to Y the two ports together, best option would be to run that rear passenger one to the intake bellows and then the ports on the diagonal BOTH to the catch can.
im using the elite engineer catch can.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

you want all the lines terminating in the can itself, it reduces the air speed in the lines to a minimum, and that by itself will slow oil transfer.

*something that makes most can companies think they are doing a good job when they are not* oooo look at all this oil i unnecessarily sucked up in the first place..
Old 11-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
you want all the lines terminating in the can itself, it reduces the air speed in the lines to a minimum, and that by itself will slow oil transfer.

*something that makes most can companies think they are doing a good job when they are not* oooo look at all this oil i unnecessarily sucked up in the first place..
Good Info
Old 12-27-2013, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am thinking about doing this setup however I am not sure. The motor as of now is NA with 9:1 compression and 430 Cubic inches, AFR225 heads etc. She will have a FAST 102 and 102 TB. She has an LS3 Valley cover.

My question is does this setup look correct for a single catch can (Temporary for now until I can get Mighty Mouses beautiful unit)? Will it be enough? Also I am assuming in this pic the line with the PCV valve is going into my manifold correct? Sorry new to all this and value everyones opinion.

Thanks!

PS what part number is the inline PCV valve I would need for this setup?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails My catch can routing ok?-2-copy.jpg  
Old 12-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Patsy57
I am thinking about doing this setup however I am not sure. The motor as of now is NA with 9:1 compression and 430 Cubic inches, AFR225 heads etc. She will have a FAST 102 and 102 TB. She has an LS3 Valley cover.

My question is does this setup look correct for a single catch can (Temporary for now until I can get Mighty Mouses beautiful unit)? Will it be enough? Also I am assuming in this pic the line with the PCV valve is going into my manifold correct? Sorry new to all this and value everyones opinion.

Thanks!

Thanks!
Other than your pic showing two "dirty" ports on your catch can which can't be; that's basically how my old setup was run with a single can except my PCV valve was mounted between the valley cover and the "dirty" port of the can. But I know of others running a catch can with NO PCV valve as well. So I'm not sure how critical the valve is and/or it's location. My setup was plumbed using the AMW instructions.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z06ufgrad2002
Other than your pic showing two "dirty" ports on your catch can which can't be; that's basically how my old setup was run with a single can except my PCV valve was mounted between the valley cover and the "dirty" port of the can. But I know of others running a catch can with NO PCV valve as well. So I'm not sure how critical the valve is and/or it's location. My setup was plumbed using the AMW instructions.
Oh i missed that, ok so which dirty port would you eliminate? I am totally confused now. do I block off the intake port and keep the LS3 Valley cover port? Or is there a better diagram?

Would the AMW unit work for my application?
Old 12-28-2013, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks!

Thanks!

Here is my situation:

I have a new motor that I need to install but need a catch can first. The motor is a little different as it is an LS1 with an LS3 valley cover. The head covers also have a port in the front of the passenger side cover and a port in the back of the drivers side cover. I have a FAST 102 and a FAT 102 TB but I am not sure at all how I should be routing my setup for NA with the catch can? I have read over and over again but cant seem to find the best way. The car will eventually be boosted and at that point hopefully I will have my hands on Mightymouse`s catch can and set up like the below link but until then I need to run this NA and utilize a different can. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-o...MM%2520PCV.jpg
Old 12-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Oh i missed that, ok so which dirty port would you eliminate? I am totally confused now. do I block off the intake port and keep the LS3 Valley cover port? Or is there a better diagram?

Would the AMW unit work for my application?
I was just poking fun at the diagram. You should have one dirty port and one clean port on the can. Dirty port goes to the valley cover and the clean port to the intake tract. Other than that, your original diagram should work just fine, it is essentially what my current NA setup is, until you boost the engine. At which point you will obviously have to change things around for a boosted application.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So the diagram is correct but just labeled wrong? Sorry lol
Old 12-29-2013, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

So the diagram is correct but just labeled wrong? Sorry lol
Yes, that is correct.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Two lines from the valve cover to a vented catch can. What's wrong with this?
Old 12-29-2013, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z06ufgrad2002
Yes, that is correct.
Thanks
Old 04-13-2014, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by VRSenator065
Sorry guys, but I still not exactly sure about this. I am running an 8ITB induction. I am not allowed to have a vent to atmosphere due to our emission laws.

I was planning on joining together the two rocker cover vents, also the valley cover vent and taking them into the catch can. Then take the CC to the end of the manifold block which i have taken each induction runner too. It also supplies vacuum to the brake booster. At this stage I am running no air box. Will this work, and do I have to run a non return valve in the line?

Did you figure something out on this? This is a very interesting application, one I haven't thought about. Can you share any pictures?

Quick Reply: My catch can routing ok?