Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My catch can routing ok?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Two lines from the valve cover to a vented catch can. What's wrong with this?
no pcv system and not legal in some states, smells bad to some.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

i can help with a can that is sealed for normal operation.

i would run one line out of one valve cover to the catch can dirty, can add second inlet if you want for other v/c but not required.

also dumb question, what state wont let you run a filter on a catch can but you dont have to run a filter at all on the entire engine?

Originally Posted by VRSenator065
Sorry guys, but I still not exactly sure about this. I am running an 8ITB induction. I am not allowed to have a vent to atmosphere due to our emission laws.

I was planning on joining together the two rocker cover vents, also the valley cover vent and taking them into the catch can. Then take the CC to the end of the manifold block which i have taken each induction runner too. It also supplies vacuum to the brake booster. At this stage I am running no air box. Will this work, and do I have to run a non return valve in the line?

Old 04-13-2014, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Links to other PCV threads and diagrams:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cv-system.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...32-ok-pcv.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...lve-cover.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ls2-427-a.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-question.html

I have tons of diagrams not posted here. Post or PM if you want help.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
We weren't discussing FI applications, but since you bring them up.....The clean side hose needs to be moved in front of the turbo in the intake tract or as you state, the crankcase will be pressurized.
Maybe you can help me out here, Im setting up a turbo configuration with a single catch can and LS6 valley cover, also have the pass side valve cover barb available. Looking at your diagram for my set up, I'm trying to figure out why the fresh air source needs to be between the turbo inlet and air filter. Why not just have a breather filter on the drivers side barb there?
Old 05-02-2014, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by schmendog
Maybe you can help me out here, Im setting up a turbo configuration with a single catch can and LS6 valley cover, also have the pass side valve cover barb available. Looking at your diagram for my set up, I'm trying to figure out why the fresh air source needs to be between the turbo inlet and air filter. Why not just have a breather filter on the drivers side barb there?
With boost you would be pushing air back through the pcv system if it was still routed to the intake manifold. You can run a vented pcv system it will just smell bad and you will see some steam coming out of the filter
Old 05-02-2014, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i can help with a can that is sealed for normal operation.

i would run one line out of one valve cover to the catch can dirty, can add second inlet if you want for other v/c but not required.

also dumb question, what state wont let you run a filter on a catch can but you dont have to run a filter at all on the entire engine?
Cant run a filter in canada...that was me thet emailed you about it
Old 05-03-2014, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

my pcv can like the one ws6store sells is perfectly at home in boosted situations, the valve i use is tested at high boost and in fact thats why i use what i use.

stock like pcv operation + boost compatibility + catch can + instant crank pressure relief as needed.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just double checking. my catch can routing correct? off ls6 valley cover to dirty side, then from pcv side to intake vacuum.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

you can run the dirty side port to either valley cover or valve cover, and one you dont use goes to engine air filter.

BUT for higher hp, the valley cover is not best option to go to can because of its restriction.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:34 AM
Launching!

subced
Old 10-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Teching In

I was checking for a vacuum leak, for high idle problem with my carb, noticed oil leaking off the bottom of the rubber hose that houses my pcv valve,<br/>Time for a catch can!<br/>Any suggestions on a good catch can? <br/>Engine is a iron block LS1 stock fbody internals LS2 valley cover.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In high hp applications what is recommended then in the valley cover can't flow enough?
Old 10-09-2014, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by babbage1109

just double checking. my catch can routing correct? off ls6 valley cover to dirty side, then from pcv side to intake vacuum.
Originally Posted by maroonls1z
In high hp applications what is recommended then in the valley cover can't flow enough?
the valley cover is always a more restrictive choice than a valve cover port. it can certainly accommodate stock or lower power levels but eventually you need an unrestricted passage, and after that you need multiple ports or BIGGER PORTS. if you ever run into an issue feel free to swap that front valley cover port for that front valve cover port. no reason you can't do it now either.

here is an oil fill adapter i run on my car.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that oil adapter a clean air in line or is it a dirty out? Would it be pointless to run a clean and a dirty line off the same valve cover? I know the ls1 was set up that way from the factory
Old 10-09-2014, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

the oil adapter on my car is dirty to can. i suppose you could use it either way, just a fitting.

i think valley cover or opposite valve cover is best option to get as much 'wind' through as much of the engine is possible. that valve cover port was chosen i guess due to the lack of a better idea (at the time) from gm
Old 10-12-2014, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been researching this off and on for a while, still had some questions that I can hopefully get some clarification on

I am running a pre-'04 ls6 valley cover (no orifice) on my (more or less) max effort ls1 that will see road racing / auto x / some strip. Based on what I had read about the valley covers being too restrictive and people blowing out crank seals, etc, I had planned on also venting the driver's side valve cover to the dirty side for extra flow capacity for when it is needed. I assume this was in reference to the later valley covers that didn't flow as good.

Given that my valley doesn't have that orifice, is it necessary to have the secondary vent through the valve cover? Or is it still a good idea? Also, will I need to add a restrictor orifice in the line for the valley cover? I'm looking to run a closed system - I don't want oil misting all over my engine bay so for that reason was not considering a breather vent.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

With the LS6 valley cover I'd pull fresh air through both the Driver and passenger side to get the best flow of fresh air through the block. You can also run a breather with a one way valve so the system remains closed, and only vents when there's positive crank case pressure. You should get very little to no oil mist past the breather filter this way, also keep in mind the breather filter can be mounted away from the motor. Or you can also run a CC for the clean air side to help catch any crank case vapors that get pushed back up the clean air side and into the throttle body. Since you don't have a big cu. in. motor, or have forced induction, You'll probably be perfectly fine with the single valley cover port.

FYI, MIGHTYMOUSE does have CC's with one way valves on the breathers, I believe RX Performance also has a breather with a one way valve that fits in place of the oil fill cap.

Well, I just went through both of your build threads and have come to the conclusion that you might also want to consider building you own CC.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 10-12-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
With the LS6 valley cover I'd pull fresh air through both the Driver and passenger side to get the best flow of fresh air through the block. You can also run a breather with a one way valve so the system remains closed, and only vents when there's positive crank case pressure. You should get very little to no oil mist past the breather filter this way, also keep in mind the breather filter can be mounted away from the motor. Or you can also run a CC for the clean air side to help catch any crank case vapors that get pushed back up the clean air side and into the throttle body. Since you don't have a big cu. in. motor, or have forced induction, You'll probably be perfectly fine with the single valley cover port.

FYI, MIGHTYMOUSE does have CC's with one way valves on the breathers, I believe RX Performance also has a breather with a one way valve that fits in place of the oil fill cap.

Well, I just went through both of your build threads and have come to the conclusion that you might also want to consider building you own CC.
Thanks for your help.

I'd be lying if I said that I hadn't thought about making my own but I don't need any additional projects at the moment. Probably going to end up with an MM pcv can as it seems to address everything i'm hoping to accomplish with this system. might add a second can down the road if the need arises
Old 10-13-2014, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm just happy to be able to help.

BTW, if you can mount the CC to one far front corners of the engine bay(away from engine heat) to maximize it's ability to condense the oil vapors and trap them in the CC.. This also helps keep the engine from looking to cluttered.

Keep use posted on what you finally end up going with an where you mounted it.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bringing it back up. When you say to "engine air filter" is that you want a line ran before or after the air filter. And can a mighty mouse pcv catch can be used as a race can if I remove the pcv valve?

Quick Reply: My catch can routing ok?