Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My catch can routing ok?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluebird71
The dual setup is best because you can separate the "clean" and "dirty" sides of the PCV system for optimum efficiency.
Thanks
Old 08-26-2010, 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default how are things in merry ole England?

Originally Posted by lstvr
Fitted this catch can on my set up, is this routing ok? I have blanked all of the ones on the FAST intake and these two pipes are the only vents ( apart from servo ) , the cap on the tank is a vent with a gauze filter, but you can see mist coming out of it still. The can is empty so was thinking i might shove some gauze in that too.

how are things in merry ole England?

here's my CC & CC W/ PVC works great.

Name:  cc.jpg
Views: 3125
Size:  156.4 KB

BTW very cool red car.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got my custom Saikou Michi catch cans and put them in today. I'm very pleased with how they turned out. They fit great! Excelent quality product. He gave me the option to have them powder coated red at no extra charge as well. The only problem I had was the damn bolt hole that holds up the TCS module that I used to mount the tank beaker on stripped out on me. I guess I have to get a tap on it and drill the bracket holes out for a bigger bolt. Anyway, here are some pics of the setup:

Name:  aa61368f.jpg
Views: 2915
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  f0ee5d9c.jpg
Views: 2790
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  4e423a93.jpg
Views: 2834
Size:  88.7 KB

I have the LS6 valley pan going through the factory PCV valve to the top of the "dirty" side of the catch tank, then back out and through a 1 psi one-way check valve into the intake. The "clean side goes from the front nipple on the passenger side valve cover, through the tank, and back to the lower turbo intake piping. The driver side and rear passenger side valve cover nipples and TB vacuum have all been capped off.

Name:  2e243c88.jpg
Views: 2992
Size:  81.4 KB

Last edited by bluebird71; 08-26-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02sleeperz28
Thanks for the pic. When are you going to install it? Does it come with the rubber lines to run?
No lines, since I got -an fittings they wouldnt do me any good anyway. Ill be installing it with my new build, which ive been saying 'just a couple weeks' on for the last or so...
Old 09-08-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, now I'm hearing a slight ticking sound that seems to be coming from the passenger side valve cover area. It only does it when the car gets heated up and it's very slight. It's not a steady "tick, tick, tick" sound either, it's more like a "tick......tick, tick....tick...tick, tick, tick". I'm thinking it's a lifter issue. The oil pressure at idle begins to fall down to a about 5 psi when this happens as well. Could this somehow be caused by the open oil filter breather I'm running on that side or maybe the fact that it's only venting from that side and not the driver side valve cover as well? It acts fine for the first few minutes that it's started cold, but when it gets hot is when the problems start.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey guys I need some help with my pcv setup. I just got my brand new gloss black SM dual can setup and I need some advice.

For whatever reason (I have no idea) my stock rear cross over hose on my 98 ripped in half (where the X is in this picture).

stockpcvsystem.jpg?t=1285351887

I've looked at the ls1 dual can / ls1 valley cover setup and I just had a few questions.

Should I buy a whole new oem line like the one in the picture above and modify everything accordingly or can I just run 3/8 hose (or whatever size it needs) from the drivers side valve cover to the pcv valve?

Also since the car is a 98 is there a better/updated pcv valve I should buy? Lastly what size cap do I need for the port on the passenger side valve cover, 3/8?

The diagram I am refering to is below. Hopefully someone can provide some insight.

pcv-2ls1ext.jpg?t=1285352671
Old 09-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Default Reply to Shockwave179's questions

Shockwave179 to answer your questions about the PCV, below is a link to purchase a kit to change your stock PCV to the LS6 version. From what I a have read and personally experienced, the LS6 system is better. Beware though, it does require you to cut out a small portion of your stock block. If you do some searches on here about the LS6 PCV conversion then you will see what I am talking about. The second link below is from another site (I apologize if this is in bad taste to post a link to another site) but shows you very clearly how to convert your stock block to accept the LS6 valley cover & PCV system. If you install this kit it will fix your initial problem with the bad hose since it is no longer needed and if you have oil comsumption problems then this should also help to decrease that drastically. I did this myself a few months ago using the LS1 How To link and the kit from Thunder Racing. It is a bit unnerving at first, but all I can say is make sure you do everything you can to keep metal shavings out of your engine valley, etc. It really isn't that difficult but if you take your time then it shouldn't take more than a few hours to accomplish. I can't stress enough, take your time doing this and make sure you don't get any metal shavings in the engine!! Do your research and always ask a lot of questions.

http://www.thunderracing.com/shop-by...em/PCV-System/

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

Good Luck.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

Okay I need help with my new set up and hopefully I can do it right the first time. Let me know which one I need to do.

Engine
418 LS3 max NA, going in F-body, aftermarket valve covers with no vent holes, just the oil cap hole on pass side. LS2 coversion valley cover

option 1
valley cover to catch can- catch can to intake- NO PVC
and
pass vavle cover to TB

option 2
valley cover to catch can- catch can to PVC to intake
and
pass vavle cover to TB

option 3
cap pass valve cover and cap TB port
run filter on oil cap

What is better stock PVC or should I get a check valve?

I hope this does not bother anyone, cause I am lost since I am coming from a LS1 routing to LS3 routing.

Sorry the pictures small. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
CATCH CAN1.bmp (327.0 KB, 743 views)
CATCH CAN2.bmp (327.0 KB, 375 views)
CATCH CAN3.bmp (327.0 KB, 716 views)
Old 10-07-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

TTT for some help on this
Old 10-07-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4U2NV-SS
Engine
418 LS3 max NA, going in F-body, aftermarket valve covers with no vent holes, just the oil cap hole on pass side. LS2 coversion valley cover

option 1
and
pass vavle cover to TB

option 2
valley cover to catch can- catch can to PVC to intake
and
pass vavle cover to TB

option 3
cap pass valve cover and cap TB port
run filter on oil cap

What is better stock PVC or should I get a check valve?

I hope this does not bother anyone, cause I am lost since I am coming from a LS1 routing to LS3 routing.

Sorry the pictures small. Thanks
All your options include something to do with the pass valve cover port, but you said you don't have one in the first sentence?

If you don't, the only thing to do is cap everything but put a breather in the oil neck.

If you do in fact have a pass. valve cover port, I'd do option 1 or 2. I know nothing about PVC vs check valves or why we even need a PVC itself... my emissions doesn't check but I don't know if the PCV directs flow or what so I'll leave that to someone else.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

Well i drilled a hold and put a 90 there but I can plug it easy.

I don't really know about the PVC think either. Thanks for your help.

Anyone else????
Old 11-16-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 4U2NV-SS
Well i drilled a hold and put a 90 there but I can plug it easy.

I don't really know about the PVC think either. Thanks for your help.

Anyone else????
I've been away from the forum for a long time, did you solve your problem?
Old 12-08-2010, 01:28 AM
Teching In

Default dual catch cans

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Lopoetve,
Here you go:

I want to use this for my D1SC set up too, ls6 LPE engine but no ls6 vally(pvc), going to push 15lbs boost with abou 750-800HP. should I use check valve instead and wat directon do i send it.
Thanks
Old 12-08-2010, 01:29 AM
Teching In

Default dual catch cans

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Lopoetve,
Here you go:

I want to use this for my D1SC set up too, ls6 LPE engine but no ls6 vally(pvc), going to push 15lbs boost with abou 750-800HP. should I use check valve instead and wat directon do i send it.
Thanks
Oh forgot, do I put a breather on oil fill cap?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

I drew up a quick picture I was hoping someone could tell me if this will work or not. Main points in picture;

-LS2 Valley Cover.
-RevXtreme catch can (main).
-Smaller inexpensive catch can (secondary).
-I want to keep my oil cap an oil cap NOT a vent.
-cap off throttle body inlet.

Please let me know if this will work for venting, should be around 550rwhp NA if that makes a difference.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/u.../potential.jpg
Old 01-15-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i didnt know things got so crazy with catch cans. twin cans? seriously?

I been running an AMW catch can, PVC valve in drivers valve cover, capped rear vent on pass cover, y's into front vent with driver vent, goes to my catch can, then I use the port on my throttle body(i run a single plane) and my car NEVER uses any oil. It didnt use any oil with my stock motor turning 7k, and I turn my 6.0L 7500+ every pass.

and I have set this up just like this on several cars, that would EAT oil and go to using hardly any at all between oil changes. just something to think about before going through these crazy messes I just looked at on a couple screens
Old 01-17-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

ttt can anyone chime in? I just want some thoughts before I attempt this. I don't see any problems but I could use a second opinion.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is a very informative thread. My search " PVC routing " brought me here.

If I ever do a LS2 shortblock with L92/LS3 heads, this might point me in the right direction.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

This may not be the right place to ask but I could use some help with my 09 Cts-v catch can. I would love to do the dual set-up. Right now I have a catch can but it is not catching anything. I read through the 18 pages of posts but I am confused.

1.) My valve covers have a Vent tube on the front passenger side valve cover:
It is the one without the white fastner

2.) I have a vent tube on the driver side rear valve cover

3.) These tubes originally camt together at a "T" fitting and then a single hose ran to the cai tube.

I have since connected a catch can at the point where the 2 valve cover hoses connected, just after the T fitting. Essentially put a CC in line. It however, does not seem to catch much at all.

This pick shows the valley tray (I believe) However it is essentially a 90 degree that connects right above another. The two connections are stacked.

4.) Then I have this plastic tube that connects to the top of my intake...and travels around the passenger valve cover to the rear and disappears.
I do not know what that is...

This is a pic from the driver side showing where the hose that wraps around the passenger side goes... Kinda a mystery.
It is the tube with the white fastener

So can anyone help me figure out the way to set up a dual catch can with the pics provided. If a dual CC is not possible, I would be happy with a single one that works.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by cbloveday; 02-20-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's my current PCV routing w/RevXtreme single catch-can, but I'm still getting oil in the intake. Would there be any problem with capping the intake port and running a filtered breather off the hose from the catch-can outlet?

I would still get filtered fresh continuously into the crank and the catch-can would still catch most of the vapor; just not all of it.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 03-06-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply: My catch can routing ok?