Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My catch can routing ok?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 01:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I bought a Norris catch can but only one. Now will just one catch can be good enough on a N/A 408?
Old 02-22-2013, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by conde'strans
So I bought a Norris catch can but only one. Now will just one catch can be good enough on a N/A 408?
I bought a Norris also.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how do i know when/if i need one? lol sry for the newb question. reason for asking is im swaping to a ls6 intake and it would be a good time to change things while im in there.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

Okay guys, I installed the Norris yesterday. But I took it apart first. Its well made and it looks like all it does is pass the air thats being sucked out of the crankcase through a peice of red scott bright before it goes into the intake. With that being said, I think it will do a fine job.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well others said the same, read all the pages and still makes about the same sense as when I started.

I have the closest to this setup

... LS6 valley, but no one seems to mention the connection behind the intake manifold that has the Y connector where the line from the rear of the drivers side valve cover that continues to the pass rear valve cover vent. The second line of the Y goes to the front section of the pass side, the hard plastic tube.

So, what I need to know for my application *Single Norris catch can* is what ones to cap off. And which to run where and where the PCV valve needs to be placed. I do not want to mess anything up so that is why I am asking.
Hopefully I am just making this harder than it needs to be? Is the right answer just cap off both rear valve cover ports and eliminate the Y with the additional line then run from the pass front vent to the TB as pictured and route the others just like in the diagram?

And is the dotted green line to the bellows just an optional location as opposed to the TB?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Dave

Last edited by LOHRTBT; 04-14-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're running the ls6 valley with the built in pcv; cap off the driver valve cover port & the rear passenger side port. Run your factory fresh air hose from the front passenger side port to throttle body. Then a hose from valley to can & can to port on intake.

Last edited by MM98; 04-14-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:25 PM
TECH Regular

Cap the driver side valve cover. Place the PCV between the catch can and the intake manifold. This way the PCV does its job, but does not get fouled with oil and get stuck open/closed.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

Oops...I forgot the LS6 cover is its own PCV.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys! Mike, check your PM's
Old 05-06-2013, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey guys, I was hoping I could get some advice from everyone. I've attached a picture of my current pcv layout.

My cars setup is a forged 427 making 540 rwhp, and I have a problem. There has been at least 1 occurance when I've finished a long hard WOT pull and the oil dipstick was pushed out of the hole and oil spattered everywhere. This leads me to understand that my crankcase is building up too much pressure. I was hoping I could get some advice for changing my setup to alleviate this problem. I was thinking of switching to the second picture provided.
Attached Thumbnails My catch can routing ok?-pcv.jpg   My catch can routing ok?-pcv-02.jpg  
Old 05-06-2013, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd try having the driver side valve cover port also run into the CC and just use the passenger side VC port for the fresh air.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...ing-ok-web.jpg

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 05-06-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't believe this thread is still alive lol After reading through all these posts for years I purchased a Mike Norris catch can along with a 2004 PCV/Valley Cover to delete all the cheap, easily-rotting PCV lines that ran all along stock ls1's. Even with the 04 PCV the catch can still picks up quite a bit and my FAST intake has stayed for the most part completely dry since installing. They look great too!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LOHRTBT
So, what I need to know for my application *Single Norris catch can* is what ones to cap off. And which to run where and where the PCV valve needs to be placed. I do not want to mess anything up so that is why I am asking.
Hopefully I am just making this harder than it needs to be? Is the right answer just cap off both rear valve cover ports and eliminate the Y with the additional line then run from the pass front vent to the TB as pictured and route the others just like in the diagram?

And is the dotted green line to the bellows just an optional location as opposed to the TB?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Dave
With a 2004 ls6 valley you will cap off the back port on the passenger side valve cover, and on the driver side valve cover you will put a plug in the giant hole that the factory ls1 lines plug into, thus deleting all hoses and pcv valves on the factory ls1 set-up. You keep the hose plugged into the front port of the passenger side valve cover running to the throttle body and once the catch can is installed you run a hose from the top of the can down to the valley cover port and run the lower port on the can to the intake manifold port.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

If your trying to keep oil out of the intake you it's okay to have a second can on the line from the v/c to the tb?

I thought that didn't suck anything up?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

the problem with any 'one way' can is that it doesn't handle crankcase pressure any better than a bone stock system.

and by any better i mean 'not at all'

you are giving the blow by nowhere to go but out the main seals and dipstick tube.

with some dual cans or dual exit cans, your can opt to force all of the blow by and crank case pressure directly into the intake air stream. not a very good solution if you ask me.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
the problem with any 'one way' can is that it doesn't handle crankcase pressure any better than a bone stock system.

and by any better i mean 'not at all'

you are giving the blow by nowhere to go but out the main seals and dipstick tube.

with some dual cans or dual exit cans, your can opt to force all of the blow by and crank case pressure directly into the intake air stream. not a very good solution if you ask me.
well said ,
Old 05-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.revxtreme.com/performance.../rx-catch-cans

im using the monster can , wyt ?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

wow must be good you could buy two of my boosted cans for that, wow.

where does the blow by go with that monster can?
Old 06-02-2013, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been running the single RX catch can for awhile now and noticed I'm getting enough crank case pressure to get oil up my TB tube.....which really sucks. Should I just add one of their breathers on the oil cap and ditch the tube?
Old 06-02-2013, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
I've been running the single RX catch can for awhile now and noticed I'm getting enough crank case pressure to get oil up my TB tube.....which really sucks. Should I just add one of their breathers on the oil cap and ditch the tube?
First, make sure your hose running to the CC is clear of obstructions that includes have the hose bent to much, which can restrict or block the air flow. Second, check the flow through the CC, The PCV valve on the CC could possibly be blocked. Then check the hose going back to the intake like you did with the first hose. I'd spray some carb/choke cleaner through both hoses and inlet/outlet of the CC to clean them out. Now if that doesn't solve the problem then maybe the pcv valve on the can just isn't allowing enough flow at WOT which can be fixed by simply buying a restricted flow (no moving valve inside) pcv valve and opening up the restrictor hole with a drill or dremel. Finally if by some chance the problem is still there then get the RX breather with the check valve.
BTW I'd keep the fresh air tube on it.

Quick Reply: My catch can routing ok?