Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New True Duals Idea... Thoughts? Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 04:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New True Duals Idea... Thoughts? Opinions?

I need a true dual setup that will clear my Spohn Chassis mounted Torque Arm. My current X pipe would not clear so I began drawing up my own ideas that I can have my local exhaust shop fab up...

#1. Anyone see any Issue with not running a H pipe crossover pipe? Just two independent straight pipes back to the flowmasters?

#2. Does the length of an exhaust determine how loud it is? Or is it more of a muffler selection that determines the overall loudness of the setup?

Car is a ~580RWHP, H/C/N20, full suspension, 3220lb raceweight, street/strip daily driver.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You want to put the crossover under the transmission pan? You'll have about 2" ground clearance if you're lucky.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:52 AM
TECH Junkie

you're not gonna have much clearance under the mufflers either. that setup basically puts them right under the rear seats, instead of tucked up in the trans tunnel.

might be worth it to angle the pipes back inward right behind the TA mount
Old 01-26-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

You can run them the way that you have in the pic. I run my bullets the same way. You can also easily add a H-pipe, I had one on another system, but I found it easier to exchange the setup with just straight pipes back, then a dump.

I have the spohn also, and wasn't sure if an X would fit right there in the loop. Did you try that, & it wouldn't fit? I know that it's a tight fit to get a Flowmaster 2 into 1 (3" to 4") in there, on a Y-pipe setup.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

exhaust length will play a small factor in sound on a car. it makes a much bigger difference on a truck length exhaust system. most f bodies dont have a problem being super loud with a loudmouth full system. if you shortened the system by half i would have to say it will increase volume, and if you drive this thing on the street those mufflers right under your *** would drone like crazy!
Old 01-26-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a setup like that and its ugly and alot of bends
you have to put the "H" bent between the TA and cross member
I just said screw it and have strait dual with two chamber flowmaster, flow and fit is much better
Old 01-26-2009, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

I ran my Magnaflows out the back to get more clearance for the mufflers. I had to raise the lower section of the trunk area about three inchs. The mufflers are 22inchs long.

Depending on your launch/suspension you might have to raise them more as they might rub the ground.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:11 PM
11 Second Club

Why not run the x through the chassis mount torque arm? I placed my x in the middle of the passage way through my umi chassis torque arm . I got my inspiration from this post and built the same exhaust. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...dual-pics.html