Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TB & Manifold ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TB & Manifold ?'s

I am looking for a good throttle body & manifold combo, but I can't afford the FAST intake so I have been looking around at whats out there and I am a little confused. I see most of the manifolds have a triangle bolt patern for the TB like stock (two bolt holes at the bottom corners & 1 at the top in the center), but most of the throttle bodies I see aren't using the top bolt. Am I missing something like an adapter plate or just looking at the wrong pictures. Also, do the TB & manifold have to be a perfect match as far as the 80-80, 85-85, 90-90, 92-92mm etc. I thought I had a clue, so I started doing some research and now I am lost..... Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're on a budget the best manifold/TB combo for lowest $$ is the LS6 with a ported stock TB. What mods do you have now? What year is your car?
Old 01-29-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by massls1guy
If you're on a budget the best manifold/TB combo for lowest $$ is the LS6 with a ported stock TB. What mods do you have now? What year is your car?
Its a 99', Right now I don't have much just LT's & TSP true duals. Its not that I am on a tight budget, just can't justify almost $900 for a manifold, never mind convinsing the wife that its worth it.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

At this point you won't see a good gain with a fast intake. LT's and true duals are a great start though. If I was you I would pick up a used LS6 intake and install a cam for close to what you might spend on a fast intake & 90mm TB. In the future if you step up to some CNC'd heads the fast will give you a gain worth its price.

There are LS6 intakes for sale all the time in here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale-45/
Old 01-29-2009, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

I agree with( Massls1guy) a ported stock TB and LS6 intake would be the better option for you right now, also throw in a cam as stated by(Massls1guy)and you could have a very nice combo for the price of the 90/90 or 92/92.
The FAST 78 might be another option as well......the front opening can be ported to 85mm which gives you some flexibility down the road. Here is the write up on it.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...5-85-pics.html

Last edited by SS1875; 01-29-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info guys, actually I had read through the "My custom ported FAST 85/85 - *PICS!*" thread earlier and that what got me thinking. I was wanting to do a cam but thought it would be better after the basic bolt ons (Intake & exhaust). Is that not the case? If I did go with a ported tb, LS6 manifold & did a cam at the same time, would the intake then be holding me back with the new cam?

What would be a good place to start with a cam? The car is not a DD, Its just a weekend toy. It will probably never see a 1/4 mile, but it will see street driving, autoX, & some road racing track days. Curious as to the HP gain as well.

I was also wondering what all NEEDS to be done to support a new cam other than bearings & lifters. I havn't done much research on cams yet as I thought that was further down the road.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advise.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

have you seen ls1howto? lots of good info on cam install:
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23
Old 01-30-2009, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by McNord
Thanks for the info guys, actually I had read through the "My custom ported FAST 85/85 - *PICS!*" thread earlier and that what got me thinking. I was wanting to do a cam but thought it would be better after the basic bolt ons (Intake & exhaust). Is that not the case? If I did go with a ported tb, LS6 manifold & did a cam at the same time, would the intake then be holding me back with the new cam.

Basic boltons is a good way to start. I did the LS6 intake , cam, headers, full exhaust first then added LS6 heads, ported TB and the car put down some good HP/TQ numbers after tuning. The intake will not hold you back it.... flows well enough and should/would be much better after the throttle opening was increased. JMO.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by massls1guy
have you seen ls1howto? lots of good info on cam install:
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23
That is a good wright up- Usually I don't bother trying the ls1howto's because they are usually blocked at my work for some reason. My only problem with all that is I just replaced my water pump, spark plugs, and put my valve covers back on after painting. If I had reilized it wasn't too soon for a cam, I would have saved myself a lot of work. Are the back two cylindars as hard to get to to install the new springs as I am thinking they will be, or is it not that bad once everything is out of the way.

I am glad to hear that I would not have to go back and redo the intake.