Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pissed off, what should I do?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pissed off, what should I do?

A while back I bought some AIR block off plates from speed inc, today I was going to ditch the AIR pump because I put on a new lid. The first thing I went to do was unbolt the AIR tubes that connect to the headers, I got the one on the drivers side off, the bolts were rusted. put the block off plate over the hole and started to thread the bolts back in and I could'nt get the bolts to go in far enough to secure the block off plate tight against the header. I was using a really long extension so I thought I might have cross threaded the bolts, so I tried getting one of the bolts back out but I really had to strain just to turn it a little and ended up breaking it off while it was still stuck in the hole Then I figured I would just tighten the remaining bolt down the best I could to secure the plate on there. Got the bolt as tight as it would go but it was'nt even touching the block off plate (I could still move the plate around with my finger). After looking at the end of the AIR tube and looking at the plates, the AIR tube thing is like twice as thick as the plates! I ended up just putting the air tube thing back on, and of course when I tightened the bolt back down it was nice and snugg. I think my header is leaking a little from where I broke that bolt on the AIR attatchment. I'm really pissed about this those plates were like $18 and they dont even work!!! Anybody feel like making me some block off plates that are thick enough? Sorry for this long *** post, thanks for reading I guess if I look on the bright side this is a good excuse to buy some new headers, plus even before today I've had a pretty bad exhaust leak
Old 01-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Launching!

I have the Speed, Inc. plates and they fit fine. They are thinner than the AIR hook-ups, but you want them that way. I was told by ARH that you want them to be as thin and light as possible.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Launching!

how did you get your bolts to fit tight?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go buy some shorter bolts duh! lol
Old 01-29-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i don't think is has nothing to do with the plate. you just had rusted bolts to start with. the threads was rusted, the small area from the thicker flange fitting. i would just drill and tap it or drill it out and use a smaller bolt with a nut. no big deal good luck
Old 01-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Launching!

what do you mean by drill and tap? I'm kind of new to modding myself and I dont have all that many tools at my disposal. Thanks
Old 01-30-2009, 06:12 AM
Teching In

Did you use gaskets? If you did either get shorter bolts or washers, that’s you cheapest and easiest fix. I would fix that broken bolt too.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Launching!

how could I fix it? the majority of it is inside the thread, I need some kind of miracle to get that out lol
Old 01-30-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

get a drill and a drill bi.....go to sears and have them help you, or just completely drill out the hole and threads and run a nut/bolt thru it...
Old 01-30-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is what GMTECH4 means by drill and tap. Drill out the bolt, theads, everything till you have just bare metal. Basically making a new, bigger whole where the old one was. Then you buy a tap - what makes the threads for the new bolt to go in - and tap that metal, making new threads. You can find a tap at Home Depot or any hardware store. Just make sure the thread count on the tap matches the thread count on the new bolt.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Weld,unless you plan on going back to stock.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

Geesh - Just get some washers and put on the bolts.

Search this Thread