Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks Headers vs American Racing Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Kooks have been on my car for over 2 years. Nice tubes!
Old 02-14-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

ARH's!!
Old 02-14-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
They'd be willing to do it I'm sure. For an added cost. They'll accommodate custom just as Kooks will accommodate custom, so since both companies are willing to go custom, it doesn't matter to me what they "can do." I'm speaking of the off-the-shelf system as-is.
ARH didn't charge me any extra to modify the headers and Y pipe. I had them add an O2 bung for the wide band and had them delete the rear O2 bungs as the rear O2's had been tuned out. They also manufactured the exhaust end of the Y pipe to the diameter of my choosing, again at no extra charge.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Weezzer
ARH didn't charge me any extra to modify the headers and Y pipe. I had them add an O2 bung for the wide band and had them delete the rear O2 bungs as the rear O2's had been tuned out. They also manufactured the exhaust end of the Y pipe to the diameter of my choosing, again at no extra charge.
That's still a moot point. This is a discussion of off-the-shelf systems. The ARH system does not come the way you have it off the shelf. You had custom modifications made. It's also worth noting that since you wanted custom modifications, I'm assuming you bought it directly from ARH. That means you don't have the luxury of buying through sales from sponsors. That being said, you probably did pay a premium. I didn't buy my headers at MSRP and I never would. Again, still a moot point since we're talking about off-the-shelf systems. Custom modifications don't mean anything in this discussion, at least to me.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

That's still a moot point. This is a discussion of off-the-shelf systems. The ARH system does not come the way you have it off the shelf. You had custom modifications made. It's also worth noting that since you wanted custom modifications, I'm assuming you bought it directly from ARH. That means you don't have the luxury of buying through sales from sponsors. That being said, you probably did pay a premium. I didn't buy my headers at MSRP and I never would. Again, still a moot point since we're talking about off-the-shelf systems. Custom modifications don't mean anything in this discussion, at least to me.
I bought it thru Thunder Racing as they had the best price on it at the time, I told TR what I wanted changed and two or three days later Nick from ARH called me to go over exactly what I wanted prior to the system being made - again all this at no extra charge. That's customer service (QTP are you out there?? lol). Basically it was off the shelf service, as the system arrived within 7-10 days from the phone call.
If that doesn't mean anything to you - so be it. It doesn't suprise me as I've disagreed with your logic before so this is just par for the course.

BTW-According the sponsor list ARH is a site sponsor, so even if you buy directly from them you're still buying from a company that directly supports this board.

Last edited by Weezzer; 02-15-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:13 AM
9 Second Club

Adding and removing 02 bungs is custom modifying? Man thats kinda splittin hairs if you ask me. Kinda like sayin if you paint or coat them they are custom modified as well.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:48 AM
FormerVendor

I know alot of people like Kooks and swear by them, but not me. The 1 set that I have personally installed were crap. They were so far off, I could not make them work, and I had to send back. They sent another set, and they were almost just as bad. I had to heat up a few tubes and dimple them and had to slice and dice one tube all toghether to get the headers to fit. A simple 351W in a Fox Body Mustang with a tubular KMember. They got into blaming the Kmember, than they wanted to say the car had frame damage, etc.....I do know that every car is gonna be different, but these were not even close to being able to fit.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Weezzer
I bought it thru Thunder Racing as they had the best price on it at the time, I told TR what I wanted changed and two or three days later Nick from ARH called me to go over exactly what I wanted prior to the system being made - again all this at no extra charge. That's customer service (QTP are you out there?? lol). Basically it was off the shelf service, as the system arrived within 7-10 days from the phone call.
If that doesn't mean anything to you - so be it. It doesn't suprise me as I've disagreed with your logic before so this is just par for the course.

BTW-According the sponsor list ARH is a site sponsor, so even if you buy directly from them you're still buying from a company that directly supports this board.
That's pretty cool then. I won't argue that that isn't good service. That's very good service. However, I can't guarantee that Kooks won't do the same. It's not a fair comparison to compare a modified header to an unmodified one. I think it's only fair to compare the ARH to Kooks headers as-is and only as-is, not with custom modifications.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:28 PM
9 Second Club

Ive had both my 17/8ths ARH fit better then my kooks 1 3/4.ARH is top notch great customer service fit and finish is great.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exclamation

That's pretty cool then. I won't argue that that isn't good service. That's very good service. However, I can't guarantee that Kooks won't do the same. It's not a fair comparison to compare a modified header to an unmodified one. I think it's only fair to compare the ARH to Kooks headers as-is and only as-is, not with custom modifications.
I agree with this guy. Ill give my opinion on ARH since thats what I have. These headers have the best quality Ive seen so far and fit. I got the catted y pipe with the system and love it. They went in almost like a hot knife going through a bar of butter. When I go bigger cubes I'm just gonna sell my 1 3/4 and get the 1 7/8s and reuse my y. Let me add that I installed the headers alone, except for the part where I had to align the bolts and the headers to the head.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

The Grot design is one of the best out there if not the best. It's equal length, too. I have no idea if ARH's headers are equal length. On top of that, the Kooks have the extra bung. I much prefer the design of the Kooks/QTP/Grot than anything else out there as it is a proven design and has been along for a long, long time. I have QTP's right now and I picked up almost 50rwhp with headers and a tune.
The Grot design is not equal length there's close to a 10" difference from shortest to longest. I believe the only equal length was the orig. SLP design remeber the 180 bends in the pass. primaries. Ours are approximately 6" from shortest to longest. As far as a proven design we've been out 3 years and have many satisfied customers. If your favorite product was so good why the need for a new design with merge collectors Hmmmm

For headers themselves, I think the new Kooks are a better design with the extra bung for wideband tuning. ARH definitely has a better y-pipe, though. If we're talking headers alone, I'd probably go with Kooks out of the two.
No bashing but why do you think this we're always trying to improve

For the record most vendors don't stock our systems in large quantity's because we have a base system that you see in our catalog but it's just a starting point we have many options that are available that we prefer to match a system to the requirments of a particular vehicle. So when you buy a system from a vendor most times they order from us and we drop ship. For the most part all our systems are custom by your definition of "custom"

Thank you for recognizing our efforts to have the best cutomer service in the industry. Our sale is'nt over till the customer is 100% satisfied with their purchase. For what it's worth there are many quality systems out there I personally think ours are the best
Old 02-16-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^agreed
Old 02-16-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some good points ARHs.
running some macmids on my m6 right now.but when the new shortblock goes in will get a set from you guys soon.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Teching In

ARH

Mine are coming in next week. I can't freakin wait. Installed a set in a friends car bout a year ago. Excellent design and fabrication, and GREAT fit.
I'll be mating mine up to Bassani's TD system hopefully by end of next week.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sir had better take an assload of pics of the install, im very interested in that.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Teching In

I'm having a shop do this one. Don't have the time, help, or tools/means this time around.

But I will get pics. Prolly be a few weeks, waiting on the headers & cats to get in and I may wait for one more paycheck just to give some wiggle room in the wallet lol
Old 02-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Sweet thread, I was going to post the same thread reguarding the same questions. Ive personaly seen kooks, and they tuck really tight, so I know from seeing them that they fit well. Its just the ARHs, Ive never seen what they look like tucked up. Can anyone with ARHs post some side pics so we can see how they tuck up?
Old 02-17-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camarosam22
Sweet thread, I was going to post the same thread reguarding the same questions. Ive personaly seen kooks, and they tuck really tight, so I know from seeing them that they fit well. Its just the ARHs, Ive never seen what they look like tucked up. Can anyone with ARHs post some side pics so we can see how they tuck up?
are u kidding me, the ARHS are the best fitting headers out there period, best quality period, and best customer service period, ill get pics of mine soon, put it this way the the y pipe hangs lower then the headers, and the y pipe is pretty tucked
Old 02-18-2009, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Yep same here my buddy has 1 7/8 on his SS and they tuck up very nice. But I have never seen ARH mounted.

Anybody have pictures?
Old 02-18-2009, 12:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by themack56
are u kidding me, the ARHS are the best fitting headers out there period, best quality period, and best customer service period, ill get pics of mine soon, put it this way the the y pipe hangs lower then the headers, and the y pipe is pretty tucked
Ok, i would love if you could get some pics. Im leaning towards ARHs anyways, but alot of people swear to kooks as well. The reason why I said the headers hanging low is cause Ive seen TSP headers on a camaro and their only a couple inches off the ground, thats why I just want to make sure. Are you going to the bbq/show this sunday?

Quick Reply: Kooks Headers vs American Racing Headers