Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks Headers vs American Racing Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
You sir had better take an assload of pics of the install, im very interested in that.
I have a lot of pictures in a thread I posted this fall.

Summer Rebuild

And more exhaust specific ones here:

ARH Headers on 2" drop
Old 02-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by camarosam22
Sweet thread, I was going to post the same thread reguarding the same questions. Ive personaly seen kooks, and they tuck really tight, so I know from seeing them that they fit well. Its just the ARHs, Ive never seen what they look like tucked up. Can anyone with ARHs post some side pics so we can see how they tuck up?

Coming under the firewall.

Remember, this car is dropped 2".
Old 02-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the pics, this really helped alot. My car is lowered only 1 inch so there will be plenty of space. What is sweet is that where the ypipe is you didnt lose any clearence, only where the cats are. I have the gmmg exhaust as well, how does it sound?
Old 02-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the pics, this really helped alot. My car is lowered only 1 inch so there will be plenty of space. What is sweet is that where the ypipe is you didnt lose any clearence, only where the cats are. I have the gmmg exhaust as well, how does it sound?
Yeah. And where the lowest spot is moved forward. My stock headers and Y were a bit higher, but right under the driver's seat. I think that the low point being closer to the front wheels makes it less likely to bottom out.

Here is the stock clearance:

And as for sound? With the GMMG, it sounds awesome. There's a bit of rasp between 2k and 2600, but it's livable. Personally, it's a touch loud for me. Actually, I feel bad for the neighbors, it's perfectly fine with me.

Youtube Dyno Run

Youtube Driveby and idle
Old 02-18-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even with cats there is a bit of rasp? So do you think that the rasp would be overbearing if you had an ory? Im trying to decide what ypipe to get. I can either go catted or ory, i know i want the gmmg but i cant get a real good grasp of how raspy it is with an ory.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let me rephrase, i would like a bit of rasp, but i dont want the rasp to be overbearing.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Let me rephrase, i would like a bit of rasp, but i dont want the rasp to be overbearing.
I think with the cats the rasp is only mildly annoying (to me). I've read that virtually any LT with an ORY is rasp city with a GMMG.

Of course, some of it will have to do with your setup before the exhaust as well.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm. Well my original plan was to order the catback, since i already have LTs and an ORY and see how it sounds, then go from there.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Hmm. Well my original plan was to order the catback, since i already have LTs and an ORY and see how it sounds, then go from there.
From what everyone says that have a gmmg, its pretty raspy without catts, but with catts it stops most of it. Ill have to see myself as well.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pushead
Yeah. And where the lowest spot is moved forward. My stock headers and Y were a bit higher, but right under the driver's seat. I think that the low point being closer to the front wheels makes it less likely to bottom out.

Here is the stock clearance:

And as for sound? With the GMMG, it sounds awesome. There's a bit of rasp between 2k and 2600, but it's livable. Personally, it's a touch loud for me. Actually, I feel bad for the neighbors, it's perfectly fine with me.

Youtube Dyno Run

Youtube Driveby and idle
Sounds awesome, cant wait to get them on my car. What suspensions mods do you have?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, does ARH's y-pipe normally come with that giant crush in it? Or did you dent it for being lowered that much over a speed bump or something? That doesn't look pretty at all. These cars come lowered from the factory. I never understood why the need to lower it so far If you like it, that's fine, but damn. I wish you the best of luck with that extreme drop! I'm sure you get scared over potholes and speedbumps
Old 02-19-2009, 01:43 AM
TECH Addict

I would personally get American Racing
Old 02-19-2009, 06:59 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds awesome, cant wait to get them on my car. What suspensions mods do you have?
Intrax 2" lowering springs. AGX shocks. They were on the car when I bought it.

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Damn, does ARH's y-pipe normally come with that giant crush in it? Or did you dent it for being lowered that much over a speed bump or something?
I think some of it is the angle the picture is taken at, but that's how the Y comes. In fact, the picture was taken hours after putting the LTs on and before I even started the car.

I've never scraped the car since putting the LTs on, and only three times with the stock. I've owned the car 5 years, and it's not really been a problem. The front air dam sits lower than the cats, anyway.

Personally, I dig the stance. It ain't for everyone, but that's fine with me.

Last edited by Pushead; 02-19-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Staging Lane

I found some better pictures to show the flattening.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Damn, does ARH's y-pipe normally come with that giant crush in it? Or did you dent it for being lowered that much over a speed bump or something? That doesn't look pretty at all. These cars come lowered from the factory. I never understood why the need to lower it so far If you like it, that's fine, but damn. I wish you the best of luck with that extreme drop! I'm sure you get scared over potholes and speedbumps
Always looking for something negative to say about ARH. Sorry they aren't QTP or KOOKS. They Y needs to be crushed in the part cause of the floor pan being lower on that side I believe. Also if you look closer its the lighting that makes the bend look like an aluminum coke can.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Intrax 2" lowering springs. AGX shocks. They were on the car when I bought it.

I think some of it is the angle the picture is taken at, but that's how the Y comes. In fact, the picture was taken hours after putting the LTs on and before I even started the car.

I've never scraped the car since putting the LTs on, and only three times with the stock. I've owned the car 5 years, and it's not really been a problem. The front air dam sits lower than the cats, anyway.

Personally, I dig the stance. It ain't for everyone, but that's fine with me.

Thanks for all your help, Ive decided to get ARHs and its final. I like the way it sits, but not pratical for me cause I live in Los Angeles and there are bumps, holes, driveways and everything else in the road, haha. I am going to switch out the shocks cause I want it to be a little stiffer.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:47 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by themack56
Always looking for something negative to say about ARH. Sorry they aren't QTP or KOOKS. They Y needs to be crushed in the part cause of the floor pan being lower on that side I believe. Also if you look closer its the lighting that makes the bend look like an aluminum coke can.
You need to find something else to do other than looking for reasons to argue with people. I've never noticed ARH crushed their y-pipe before. That's why I asked if it was from a speedbump since he's lowered 2", which is a severe drop on these cars. They sit low stock. Stop trying to pick a fight and go increase your post count in some other thread.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

We oval the tubing (like others) to clear the body in that area that's the dreaded area where alot of y-pipes bang the floor. I agree that 1 pic looks bad. I even said what the hell is that.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Did you ever make a decision? If not I say ARH
Old 02-21-2009, 06:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tom@ARH
I agree that 1 pic looks bad. I even said what the hell is that.
It has to be the flash reflecting off the pipe. I didn't even get a chance to fire up the car before that picture!!

Quick Reply: Kooks Headers vs American Racing Headers