Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks Headers vs American Racing Headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question

Great, so when are you going to work with them on their Y-Pipe merge too??

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed
We worked with Kooks on the revised design..it should match or exceed most anything on the market. Everyone will have their brand preference like Nike vs. Reebok, and you can't go wrong with either. With Kooks however, if you call us...we can either do free coating if you pay the website price...or give you a deal that will make them signifigantly cheaper. So basically we can create a lot of value if you get Kooks.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't understand why your rolling your eyes? Kooks have a pretty good price...we have not had a lot of people request the merge y-pipe. Keep in mind..that too would make it cost more.

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Great, so when are you going to work with them on their Y-Pipe merge too??
Old 07-27-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

It's not about the price -- they are already pricey -- it's the overall engineering seems lacks on that Y-merge. Because why focus on fixing just one piece of the puzzle, when clearly the Kooks merge is a poor design?

To me, if the company cannot get the Y-Pipe done right, I have to question my desire to choose their headers. Any product should be constantly refined over time, since nothing is perfect, and some less perfect than others...

If they do not go with the Kooks Y-Pipe, then what are people going with instead to mesh up with Kooks headers?

Don't understand why your rolling your eyes? Kooks have a pretty good price...we have not had a lot of people request the merge y-pipe. Keep in mind..that too would make it cost more.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 07-27-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they do not go with the Kooks Y-Pipe, then what are people going with instead to mesh up with Kooks headers?
True duals?
Old 07-27-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Is there a reason people don't even consider the Edelbrock headers and Y?I used them and picked up ground clearance and saw power gains everywhere. They fit great and are 1 3/4 -17/8 step. They're available in stainless and with removable merge collectors for primary length tuning.

I have a buddy (that's a total douchebag) using them on a xxx cid LSx engine in his camaro.He's using Edelbrock headers and is puttin over 9000bfwhp to the tire on a mustang dyno.
Attached Thumbnails Kooks Headers vs American Racing Headers-camaro.jpg  

Last edited by Cheatin' Chad; 07-30-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Banned

A lot of people buy the Kooks Y-pipe as it is. The design is fine..and similar to what is on a lot of what is on the market. Matter of fact, most users will be hard pressed to find a difference outside the margin of error on a dyno between a y-pipe or headers that have a merge collector vs. ones that do not. On a street car it just does not matter.

I know in the industry there this the tendancy to add more features and try and one up one another. The problem is at some point it reaches a point of deminishing returns and higher prices.

I have customers making tremendous power through Kooks Y-pipe as it sits. I could easily pressure Kooks into redesigning their Y-pipe..however it would add between $50-$100 and cost and not really change the end experiance for the customer. If your buying based on a bulleted list of features you may be happy to spend the money to have every feature. However if your concerned about value it is not worthwhile. If I had customers asking my why Kooks does not have the merge on their Y-pipe I would be begging Kooks to fix it. However, I never have people ask this. They buy the Kooks Y-pipe as is, and are fine with it.

Because why focus on fixing just one piece of the puzzle, when clearly the Kooks merge is a poor design?

To me, if the company cannot get the Y-Pipe done right, I have to question my desire to choose their headers. Any product should be constantly refined over time, since nothing is perfect, and some less perfect than others...

Old 07-27-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Really? Just slamming the 2 pipes together is a good design, and the related slower flow, plus the annoying rasp and drone at 2000-2300 rpm?!

Speed Inc. also says a component of the rasp/drone has to do with Y-Pipe design/merges.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/7248595-post9.html

Ok, I am asking. I am holding off on pulling the trigger, since I think the Kooks Y is in need of attention after reading the above thread, and others.

A lot of people buy the Kooks Y-pipe as it is. The design is fine..and similar to what is on a lot of what is on the market. Matter of fact, most users will be hard pressed to find a difference outside the margin of error on a dyno between a y-pipe or headers that have a merge collector vs. ones that do not. On a street car it just does not matter.

I know in the industry there this the tendancy to add more features and try and one up one another. The problem is at some point it reaches a point of deminishing returns and higher prices.

I have customers making tremendous power through Kooks Y-pipe as it sits. I could easily pressure Kooks into redesigning their Y-pipe..however it would add between $50-$100 and cost and not really change the end experiance for the customer. If your buying based on a bulleted list of features you may be happy to spend the money to have every feature. However if your concerned about value it is not worthwhile. If I had customers asking my why Kooks does not have the merge on their Y-pipe I would be begging Kooks to fix it. However, I never have people ask this. They buy the Kooks Y-pipe as is, and are fine with it.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Really? Just slamming the 2 pipes together is a good design, and the related slower flow, plus the annoying rasp and drone at 2000-2300 rpm?!

Speed Inc. also says a component of the rasp/drone has to do with Y-Pipe design/merges.

Ok, I am asking. I am holding off on pulling the trigger, since I think the Kooks Y is in need of attention after reading the above thread, and others.
a y pipe design will not get rid of that rasp, i dont care who says it will

i have built many y pipes using the flowmaster merge (SMOOTHEST TRANSISTION ON THE MARKET) and it doesnt help

only the muffler or cats will help with that

the kooks might look like 2 pipes slammed together, but i would be willing to bet the power difference is next to nothing because its already flowing more than adequate as is, so smoother transition is not the bottleneck
Old 07-29-2010, 02:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

My brother and I replaced the Pacesetter ORY on his 02 SS (that matched the Jet Hot Longtubes to the factory option SLP Dual Dual Catback on the car) with one of the new design Texas Speed ORYs and noticed a tremendous difference in the sound. There is significantly less rasp.

I know the Pacesetter ORY has probably the worst merge of any aftermarket Y-pipe out there. And with the beautiful merge on the TSP ORY, it was a no-brainer that the exhaust note would change.

Take this for what you will, but to me, this clearly shows there is a difference in sound between a Flowmaster style merge and the "slam the two pipes together" type merge. I don't see how anyone can say "it doesn't help".
Old 07-30-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't see why everyone is hating on the Kooks y-pipe. I have Kooks LTs with the Kooks y-pipe WITH CATS and I'm making 360 rwhp and 375 ft lbs. That's with a computer tune, not a dyno tune. I'd say that's pretty damn good. Don't see how I could get any more power without switching to true duals.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:20 AM
Banned

I installed a 4" flowmaster merge into my Kooks y-pipe. Definitely took a bit with 90 degree mandrel bends and all. I don't have any real world testing with it but I don't doubt I got an improvement. The car idles alot smoother now and really roars.

When I saw my buddies mufflex Y for his third gen with the flowmaster merge I had to have it. I wouldn't want header primaries to merge together like that, so why would I want it in my y pipe?

If you want a flowmaster merge in your y pipe just install one.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Did you click the link?! The issue with the Y was related to 500 RWHP...

Also, on a related note, you don't need all that much to get to 375, here's one route, of many:
http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...A&BIG=28030A-1

Originally Posted by ncfastls1
I don't see why everyone is hating on the Kooks y-pipe. I have Kooks LTs with the Kooks y-pipe WITH CATS and I'm making 360 rwhp and 375 ft lbs. That's with a computer tune, not a dyno tune. I'd say that's pretty damn good. Don't see how I could get any more power without switching to true duals.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

I had Kooks and never had a problem. 1 7/8ths. I have ARHs now because of a great deal for another car and it comes down to what one prefers. I had duals and the Y pipe set up. I did do the flomaster for just piece of mind. Both are better than my first set of headers(SLP) old design.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, on a related note, you don't need all that much to get to 375, here's one route, of many:
http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...A&BIG=28030A-1
375 crank, maybe. Anyone who thinks that is going to get a car to 375rwhp is a bit loopy.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Kooks on my car and I think they make a pretty good product.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

My friend has QTPs and their y pipe has the Flowmaster merge and it's raspy as sh#t. As Maryland Speed said you won't notice any power difference anyway. (waits for Chocotaco to tell me I'm wrong)
Old 08-08-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
My friend has QTPs and their y pipe has the Flowmaster merge and it's raspy as sh#t. As Maryland Speed said you won't notice any power difference anyway. (waits for Chocotaco to tell me I'm wrong)
I have qtp 1 3/4s now, flowmaster merge to a magnaflow catback.. its not really that raspy, but as much as i like the sound theyre getting the boot, they rattle on the k member, and while they seal okay, they bottom out SO MUCH that it turns the whole system into a rattlebox. 2" drop = gtfo.

Im leaning towards arh, but im considering keeping my qtp y and making it fit. (sounds like great cust service, but the site has no pictures of the product.. kind of lame.)
Old 09-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Full-Force
a y pipe design will not get rid of that rasp, i dont care who says it will

i have built many y pipes using the flowmaster merge (SMOOTHEST TRANSISTION ON THE MARKET) and it doesnt help

only the muffler or cats will help with that

the kooks might look like 2 pipes slammed together, but i would be willing to bet the power difference is next to nothing because its already flowing more than adequate as is, so smoother transition is not the bottleneck
Qtp actually makes a good pipe, it takes a lil playin with, to get it to fit just perfect just because it is designed to work with all of them very well, plus it lines up the flows into a flowmaster colector... i was impressed with the ypipe, plus it had 2 electric cutouts
Old 09-29-2010, 07:34 AM
Teching In

ARH longtubes whit 1 7/8 are great
Old 07-07-2013, 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

great thread. I appreciate everyone's input. I'm still yet to make my decision but this was full of info...a little dick measuring and bashing, but good info was in there. Thanks to the vendors for their inputs.

Quick Reply: Kooks Headers vs American Racing Headers