Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks Headers vs American Racing Headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 05:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
How loud is the Kooks TD system?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question

Show me a photo of a Fays2 Watts Link installed with Kooks true duals. I suspect a LOT of metal banging going on!

Originally Posted by LPE 403
Their duals do work with Watts. Both Ys suck regardless of manufacturer. Yes, ARH is slightly better. Have one built the right way and be done.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
Just perfect
Old 07-16-2013, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Just perfect
thats yours inst it ****?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Show me a photo of a Fays2 Watts Link installed with Kooks true duals. I suspect a LOT of metal banging going on!
Go look for TransWS6Am on here....he's got one.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old post but I have ran across it a couple of times now so I figured I would add my experience.

I ordered a Set of Kooks Headers that took over two months to show up. I also ordered a Catted Y-pipe to go with the setup. I called Kooks directly and asked them if they would be able to leave the final pipe at 3 inches and the customer service rep told me it would have to be a "custom" piece and would cost an additional $400.

The pipe downsizes to fit with stock axle back exhaust. I asked if they could just leave the 3 inch pipe and not add the downsize after that. He again said it would have to be a custom pipe at additional cost and I would have to order directly through them and not threw a vendor.

I asked them to leave material off of the Y-pipe and they wanted to charge me extra for it. When the Y-pipe finally shows up (I ordered it over two weeks ago and it hasn't even shipped yet) I will have the pleasure of cutting my brand new pipe up and adding a six inch long pipe that is three inches in diameter because they could not accommodate me or work with me in any way for less then $400 above cost.

A $700 Y-pipe becomes an $1,100 Y-pipe to leave six or so inches of tube off of the pipe. If I did not already have the headers sitting on my guest bed (Which I ordered in early January and didn't show up until the middle of April) I would cancel the order and go with ARH.

Kooks has the worst customer service I have ever experienced in a parts company. They have been short and rude every time I have called and talked to them. I give them over $1,600 for some cheap exhaust parts and they can't/won't do basic modifications to accommodate a paying customer and they also do not ship in a timely manner.

So to sum this message up for everyone. I would not ever recommend Kooks to another person ever. All said and done this looks like it will take me over half a year to get a simple Exhaust upgrade done.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nothing new for a big company like that, that's just how it goes. I tried to do something similar from a different company and they wanted to charge me $600. Changes like that cost money, even though it seems very simple to the end user.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Heres the space you'd have to work with, with the factory fuel tank heat shield still installed.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
Nothing new for a big company like that, that's just how it goes. I tried to do something similar from a different company and they wanted to charge me $600. Changes like that cost money, even though it seems very simple to the end user.

I have been waiting MONTHS for my parts to show up.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Emersan
I have been waiting MONTHS for my parts to show up.

Hey I get it....I waited 5 months for my 9" when they told me 6 weeks. But I was referring to the up charge on the exhaust. It took them a month to get their TDs to me.....but they were out of the single tips at the time.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
thats yours inst it ****?
No...

Nah but its not mine, all late to reply. Lol
Old 04-23-2014, 03:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Emersan
I know this is an old post but I have ran across it a couple of times now so I figured I would add my experience.

I ordered a Set of Kooks Headers that took over two months to show up. I also ordered a Catted Y-pipe to go with the setup. I called Kooks directly and asked them if they would be able to leave the final pipe at 3 inches and the customer service rep told me it would have to be a "custom" piece and would cost an additional $400.

The pipe downsizes to fit with stock axle back exhaust. I asked if they could just leave the 3 inch pipe and not add the downsize after that. He again said it would have to be a custom pipe at additional cost and I would have to order directly through them and not threw a vendor.

I asked them to leave material off of the Y-pipe and they wanted to charge me extra for it. When the Y-pipe finally shows up (I ordered it over two weeks ago and it hasn't even shipped yet) I will have the pleasure of cutting my brand new pipe up and adding a six inch long pipe that is three inches in diameter because they could not accommodate me or work with me in any way for less then $400 above cost.

A $700 Y-pipe becomes an $1,100 Y-pipe to leave six or so inches of tube off of the pipe. If I did not already have the headers sitting on my guest bed (Which I ordered in early January and didn't show up until the middle of April) I would cancel the order and go with ARH.

Kooks has the worst customer service I have ever experienced in a parts company. They have been short and rude every time I have called and talked to them. I give them over $1,600 for some cheap exhaust parts and they can't/won't do basic modifications to accommodate a paying customer and they also do not ship in a timely manner.

So to sum this message up for everyone. I would not ever recommend Kooks to another person ever. All said and done this looks like it will take me over half a year to get a simple Exhaust upgrade done.
Emersan, I am sending you a PM to find out more about this. This is not something we would charge extra for and I would like to find out who you talked to and take a look at your order in our system.

Thank you
Old 04-23-2014, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

KOOKS stepping up! good deal!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Banned

We just want to clear the air on this $400 up charge. We would not charge you $400 for not wanting to reduce the pipe to the factory specs. If you wanted the system built this way, there may be an delay due to the custom nature and being a one-off build. I am in contact with Emersan to try to get to the bottom of this. If you were requesting this, you may have to purchase it directly from us, as Summit or Jegs may not have the ability to order something like this.

Since we are on the subject of Y-Pipes for 4th Gens, we recently redesigned our pipe with a TRUE merge as many of you have requested. Here are some pictures of the new piece.

Please let me know if I can get one of these ordered for you or if you have any other questions.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

That's a awesome piece.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
My two cents...

ARH is probably a slightly better header.

But Kooks makes the best overall system for the F-Body. Exhaust port to exhaust tip, the Kooks system is unmatched. If you ever plan to run the Kooks TDs, then Kooks Headers are worth it.

And before anyone says the price is prohibitive... the ARH system with Y-Pipe and a catback like the Borla is just as expensive as the Kooks system.

To me, there is no question what I would buy. And if you are considering ARH or Kooks, stainless and quality matter. So the catback has to meet those as well (Magnaflow at the lower end, with Borla or GMMG at the midrange or Corsa being the upper end).
While I have contemplated the true dual for a long time, I wouldn't switch away from my ARH to get there. Borla seems to be a better CB than Corsa to me by far. The Corsa weighs a ton and I find them to break the hangers often. The Borla is much smaller and sounds ten times better in my opinion because it is only dead waking loud at WOT. I have Borla on a 11:1 fully built LS1 as well as on a header, bolt on LS1. Both sound awesome and the easy add electric cut out option is tops in my book.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

Borla sounds great but it's a 1000 cat back. Still would need a y pipe which would run a couple hundred bucks. I rather just up the 1200-1300 by calling Maryland speed for a deal on the kooks and eliminate a y pipe altogether plus have more horses with the true duals not to mention a better sounding ride.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Baconz28
Borla sounds great but it's a 1000 cat back. Still would need a y pipe which would run a couple hundred bucks. I rather just up the 1200-1300 by calling Maryland speed for a deal on the kooks and eliminate a y pipe altogether plus have more horses with the true duals not to mention a better sounding ride.
No dought they are expensive but when compared to Corsa they are cheap. I am a patient man. I paid $200 for each of mine used in great shape. I also paid $500 in great shape for my ARH's
Old 05-28-2014, 01:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by codyvette
No dought they are expensive but when compared to Corsa they are cheap. I am a patient man. I paid $200 for each of mine used in great shape. I also paid $500 in great shape for my ARH's
I wouldn't dare spend a grand on corsa. I just ordered the kooks true dual exhaust system for the same price as corsa. I just couldn't see how guys spend tons of money on y pipe setups and at the end of the day it's still raspy. If I was forced to run a y pipe I'll order the sinister exhaust system for 400 bucks and be done
Old 06-24-2014, 08:27 PM

Wow a lot of good info here ,sounds like I need to read up on header installs.

Quick Reply: Kooks Headers vs American Racing Headers