Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 Intake on 346ci ANYONE tried this!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didn't do anything crazy on my intake.

there are some obvious restrictions, i removed them and smoothed em out with sand paper.

i never opened up the intake, never epoxied anything.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fwiw, the ported LS2 is a good route to go if your going FI and don't want to pay for a FAST like i am. a ported LS2 will be better with any FI combo than an LS6 any day simply because of the 90mm TB. with that said, an LS6 with a good TB will be better suited to almost any NA build simply because it flows better.

at the end of the day, its up to you, and if your dead set on having those 90mm's then by all means stick it to the man and get a ported LS2 because any way you spin it, it just costs less
Old 03-06-2009, 09:23 AM
9 Second Club

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gospel
4: something accepted or promoted as infallible truth or as a guiding principle or doctrine

Do you have any experiance with a LS2 intake that had been ported? I do, alot of it. Is your only basis in the discussion what you read online? Yes. Is everything you read on the internet fact? No. Your big claim is that power under the curve and power over 4k rpm suffers with a LS2. I show you dyno proof that that is not the case to which you claim it was the 85mm Maf and lid and not the intake. You call me a chest thumper because I acually know what I'm doing and don't read an issue of Hot Rod and think I have a PHD like some on here. This tread was started looking for people who had real world testing using a ported LS2 and I do, do you? So why do you bother posting? If he wanted to read all the links you posted thats what the search is for. You offer no valid info to this subject, have no experiance yet feel you know everything. Not everyone has the money for a FAST intake. When a LS2 can be had for cheap it's an afordable upgrade for many that the FAST is not. As for everything needed for this swap that is so hard, please. All you need is the intake, rails, injector O-rings and a tb cable bracket from SLP that is under $30. No spacer is needed to run LS1 injectors either, all you do is bend down the tabs that mount to the intake. Do you know any of this? Have you done any swaps? Again I have done alot and have experiance which is what was asked for in this thread, not you internet banter.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TPIS made more power with the LS2 than a stock LS6

http://www.tpis.com/index.php?module=2_17_06
Old 03-06-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ONEBADWS6
4: something accepted or promoted as infallible truth or as a guiding principle or doctrine

Do you have any experiance with a LS2 intake that had been ported? I do, alot of it. Is your only basis in the discussion what you read online? Yes. Is everything you read on the internet fact? No. Your big claim is that power under the curve and power over 4k rpm suffers with a LS2. I show you dyno proof that that is not the case to which you claim it was the 85mm Maf and lid and not the intake. You call me a chest thumper because I acually know what I'm doing and don't read an issue of Hot Rod and think I have a PHD like some on here. This tread was started looking for people who had real world testing using a ported LS2 and I do, do you? So why do you bother posting? If he wanted to read all the links you posted thats what the search is for. You offer no valid info to this subject, have no experiance yet feel you know everything. Not everyone has the money for a FAST intake. When a LS2 can be had for cheap it's an afordable upgrade for many that the FAST is not. As for everything needed for this swap that is so hard, please. All you need is the intake, rails, injector O-rings and a tb cable bracket from SLP that is under $30. No spacer is needed to run LS1 injectors either, all you do is bend down the tabs that mount to the intake. Do you know any of this? Have you done any swaps? Again I have done alot and have experiance which is what was asked for in this thread, not you internet banter.
^^That's WELL say, 200% agree.

Here's an example why people pay other people for the job: I cut open the ram air port on my fiberglass T/A hood that other day. I'm using a dremel and take my time. It ended up there's a cut on the nose edge and alot of paint scratch. Even they're not very noticeable but still there. There's something you don't wanna fxxk up.

I've been asking the GTO guys about ported LS2 intake and they all have good result. Those are result from real life people. Look at the dyno data on LS2portwork, those are result from real life people too.

Don't tell me to sell my LS6 intake to cover up the cost of a FAST. That's not a proper way to compare the cost factor. That's like trade up something, you take one thing and loss one thing. I'm taking about buying, have one extra item in your inventory. 1) Not everyone comes with LS6 intake. 2) You'll still have to pay the full-pop amount when you buy the FAST.

If someone find a used FAST for $600 like my friend, lucky you but that also can't reflect the real cost factor. That's a ONE-TIME deal for luck one like you. Now you tell me what if your friend wanna buy a $600 FAST intake also? If you've one, I'll take one too.

Average market price for a FAST 90 here is $800-900, not to mention a brand new one. That give you about 12-15rwhp depends on support mod. Take an average number, $850 for the FAST and gain 13rwhp that's $65.38 per rwhp. A ported LS2 cost about $475 including the intake and modification parts give about 10 rwhp that's $47.5 per rwhp. Yea, the total HP gain is not comparable also you can spend another $200 to port the FAST. However, one thing nobody can deny, the ported LS2 intake gives you close to unport FAST 90 performance and cost 28% less.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well ill be....heres someone that gave me what i was looking for not just "go buy a FAST" This is what i wanted to know and for the other Qs out there im thinking about building the same car my friend has w the same cam and mods and the only diff will be the intake set up and i'll have 1 7/8 headers from TSP and well see what the power diff is............his car has a ls6 stock intake and pacesetters............i know its not going to be a dead on comparison cause were talking about 2 diff cars (fairly same miles) with diff headers and intakes but these are 2 things on here that ppl wonder about are the primary headers sizes and intakes
Old 03-06-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, I drive a GTO, have been to plenty of the "mod parties", including ported intakes etc etc. I've seen the results and see what they have to offer but according to you I know nothing. Not a damn thing about the LS2 intake, you know, the one that sits on my own car.

I have ported my OWN FAST intake, with great success, but again, I have no experience what so ever, according to you when it comes to intakes. You see, I'm not on here thumping my chest and what not. I'm trying to explain things and use info on the net (easy as pie) to somewhat "validate" what I'm trying to explain. But its ok man, you see right through it all

I still believe the LS2 intake to be inferior. You tried to tell me that the reasoning the LS2 intake carried so well to 62xx was because it "obviously flows more"... That right there tells me you sir are out of your goddamn mind. The only reason the intake carried the power like it did is because a 90mm TB can obviously feed more air @ a higher RPM and becomes less of a restriction vs a 78mm TB.

Here's a thread to "validate" what I'm trying to say concerning the larger TB vs smaller: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...provement.html

It shows the difference between a 78mm LS6 vs a 90mm LS6 and how much better the 90mm LS6 carries the power vs the 78mm.

I realize that not everyone has the money for a brand new FAST but they can be had for a lot cheaper than most would think. Just need to be patient and shop smart. Not only that but some of these guys already have an LS6 intake. Swapping to an LS2 unit isnt exactly the best idea, IMHO. So, because you have ONE great experience with the LS2, automatically, everyone else will too? Not quite man. BTW, I know what gospel means. You however said "gosple" and I'm not aware what that means.

So, to end this, I will bow out of this thread. Good luck to everyone who's trying the ported LS2 intake. I hope you achieve the results you're after. No hard feelings

Last edited by lilbuddy1587; 03-06-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by darknessxyz
Also, please show me the link to where can I get a FAST 90 with TB for $900?
Just keep checking the classifieds on here. Like I said, I picked up a used fast 90 with a TB for $750 shipped from a member of this site.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by primer84z
Just keep checking the classifieds on here. Like I said, I picked up a used fast 90 with a TB for $750 shipped from a member of this site.
You stole that set up lol
Old 03-06-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by primer84z
^^WHOEVER WANNA POST UP HOW GOOD OF A DEAL THEY GET ON A FAST 90, THAT'S 100% BULLSH!T IMO.

Again, I'm talking about average market price used HERE, not some random killer deal that happens once in a lifetime. If you catch one, lucky you but can you find the same fxxking deal all day and nite anytime? Hell NO. I check classified here almost everyday and nite. Most the time I saw a FAST 90 go for around $800, maybe you're lucky to get one at $750. That's why it scares me away bcuz I've to pump $800 out of packet. I don't give a fxxk how much I can sell my LS6 intake.

Again, selling one thing to cover the cost of another is not the right way to reflect cost. For example, you trade-in your old car to dealer for a new one. It don't really matter how much they pay for your trade-in, what matter is the price on the sticker people. Same fxxking thing apply to mail in rebate. You get something free after you send out 3 mail-in rebate. However, how much you pay when you walk out the store? FULL POP PLUS TAX people. Wake up, the price of a FAST is there, no trick no gimmick.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

Hey, it's not bullshit, you asked where you could get a intake and TB for $900 and I told you were I got mine. I also got a set of AFR 205's for $1300 shipped. I flipped them and made about $500. There are so many good deals on here its crazy. If you dont want to put in the work to find the deals, or dont have the cash to buy the best stuff (FAST) new, that's on you. In your case, I would send your LS6 to TPIS to get the 90mm mouth and call it a day.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so you find those deal ALL DAY LONG ANYTIME WHENEVER YOU WANT? How about you find me a FAST90 W/TB for $750 now. If you can find more than 3 available with that price, that's no bullsh!t and reflect average market price. Before that, I'll still call it BS
Old 03-06-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, I forgot to add, lucky you find a killer deal on the FAST. Those deal normally don't last more than 1 day.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One more thing kinda off topic but will my ls1 style FRC work w the ls2 intake or will i have to buy a set of the ls2 FRC or will any of them work?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by darknessxyz
Oh, I forgot to add, lucky you find a killer deal on the FAST. Those deal normally don't last more than 1 day.
Thats what I'm trying to say. You have to be watching the classifieds like a hawk when your looking for something. Those AFR's i got were sold to me within like 5 minutes of being posted.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

well as for porting the ls6, i wouldnt recomend that. snout work to put a bigger TB on is the only mod ive seen make any more power out of the ls6. dont touch the ports, the port velocity is what it thirves on.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gold98Z28
well as for porting the ls6, i wouldnt recomend that. snout work to put a bigger TB on is the only mod ive seen make any more power out of the ls6. dont touch the ports, the port velocity is what it thirves on.
Yeah, I read somewhere about this. Porting the LS6 will chang ethe velocity and actual make the slower the flow. Someone please clarify this.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow guys! dont stop here! i read this whole thread and dont see a conclusion to the swap. i just bought a ported ls2 intake and want to know the results! i do believe its a better swap than the fast intake because of price but if i could afford the fast, i would have bought it. alltho, the #7 cylander problem with the fast bothers me!........
Old 04-30-2009, 01:26 AM
Staging Lane

Default [b]lol[/b]

Back from the dead.

http://www.tpis.com/index.php?module=2_17_06
In this article doesn't sit right with me, dyno numbers show the supposedly "stock" form ls2 intake with 90mm TB perform to almost extactly same numbers as FAST LSX 90 TB... Find this to be Highly unlikely, altho I do like the idea of putting that 90mm snout on the stock LS6.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fixinitup
Back from the dead.

In this article doesn't sit right with me, dyno numbers show the supposedly "stock" form ls2 intake with 90mm TB perform to almost extactly same numbers as FAST LSX 90 TB... Find this to be Highly unlikely, altho I do like the idea of putting that 90mm snout on the stock LS6.
Then why bring it back up with an article thats been around forever?

Quick Reply: LS2 Intake on 346ci ANYONE tried this!!!