Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a dual-in dual-out muffler give you all the benefits of an X pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Will a dual-in dual-out muffler give you all the benefits of an X pipe?

Will a dual-in dual-out muffler like a Spintech (where the pipes empty into a single chamber) give me all the benefits of an X-pipe? Or at least an H-pipe?

Basically, I have enough room to run a single dual-in dual-out muffler or an X-pipe, but not both.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No.

What kind of vehicle and where would it be placed?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

The car is a Jaguar XJ6 with a 5.7L LS1 - totally custom exhaust. I attached a picture to show the layout.

I have Magnaflow spun cats and a Magnaflow X-pipe. I want to put a dual-in dual-out muffler after the X-pipe, and then two glasspack mufflers in front of the tailpipes.

The problem is that I don't think I will have room under the car between the trans and the rear end for an X-pipe and a 2-in 2-out muffler. (Everything sits in a cove right under the driveshaft tunnel)

I can still return the X-pipe to summit, and I will run just the single dual-in dual out muffler under the car if it will have the same effect as the X-pipe. I was thinking using one of the Spintech mufflers. They dump both pipes into a single box, and I want to know if that would make an X-pipe or an H-pipe redundant.

I could always weld a piece of pipe across the two pipes BEFORE the trans and make it an H pipe, but if the muffler will do the same thing, why do both?
Attached Thumbnails Will a dual-in dual-out muffler give you all the benefits of an X pipe?-muffler-layout.jpg  
Old 03-17-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool project! Post up some pics of both the car and the exhaust setup!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

i dont think it will help all that much but as long as your exhaust isn't undersized it shouldnt hurt either.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

I have a bunch of pics on my website. Start at the bottom first - those are the latest pictures.

http://www.buyrcars.com/jag.htm

The block is only an 8.5:1 compression ratio, so I left the door open for a supercharger if I want more power.

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
Cool project! Post up some pics of both the car and the exhaust setup!
Old 03-17-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

^^^^very sweet project, hope you get it running soon....
Old 03-18-2009, 07:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a bullet muffler and you will be able to fit the xpipe under the car with a muffler on each pipe. i have sweet thunder mufflers and they are basically the same diameter as the rest of the piping.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about this?

http://www.jegs.com/p/Dynomax/760549/10002/-1
Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

I am already using a straight-through glasspack style muffler by each tailpipe to quiet it down and kill off the rasp. I do not want another glasspack muffler in the middle of the system because I don't like the glasspack sound when you get on it.

I am hoping to change the sound of the exhaust by running some sort of chambered muffler, or something like a chambered muffler, not another straight-through w/packing design. I like the Spintech sound and they fit.

I want to know if that dual-in dual-out Spintech muffler is going to give me the same benefits as an X-pipe or even an H-pipe, or if I need to build an H-pipe into my system somewhere upstream of the muffler.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FastKat

I want to know if that dual-in dual-out Spintech muffler is going to give me the same benefits as an X-pipe or even an H-pipe, or if I need to build an H-pipe into my system somewhere upstream of the muffler.
someone already told you yes you will need to build a system that is an xpipe or an h. and having 2 sets of mufflers isnt a good idea, i have a dual system with cats and have 0 rasp, cats will kill rasp more then mufflers will.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

So I have one person that answered my question, but gave absolutely no explanation. Would you rely on that? I know I would want some other people to chime in with additional answers and an explanation as to why they answered the way they did. That's why I'm keeping the thread alive.

Two mufflers are a good idea if you are willing to sacrafice a little performance for a quieter car - which I am. Now that I think about it, Jaguar ran the same setup: cats up front, muffler in the middle, glasspack style mufflers by the tailpipes. It worked well for that car, however I really don't know how much HP and torque they left on the table. If I was building a car like your Camaro that's more *****-to-the-wall aggressive, then yea, 2 mufflers would definitely be a bad idea. However, I am making something very different, and want to design an exhaust system that compliments the car.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just want to do my homework so I can do this right the first time.

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
someone already told you yes you will need to build a system that is an xpipe or an h. and having 2 sets of mufflers isnt a good idea, i have a dual system with cats and have 0 rasp, cats will kill rasp more then mufflers will.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

i believe some of those dual in/dual out mufflers have a built in X-pipe design.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

I'm working on an exhaust setup for an '85 XJS I purchased last year. It sounds like what you want is something like a MAC Prochamber. A Google search will give you a lot of info, it seems like the Mustang guys use them often. Otherwise Spintech should be able to tell you what the piping inside their dual in / dual out muffler looks like so you can decide for yourself. Best of luck with the project!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FastKat
So I have one person that answered my question, but gave absolutely no explanation. Would you rely on that? I know I would want some other people to chime in with additional answers and an explanation as to why they answered the way they did. That's why I'm keeping the thread alive.

Two mufflers are a good idea if you are willing to sacrafice a little performance for a quieter car - which I am. Now that I think about it, Jaguar ran the same setup: cats up front, muffler in the middle, glasspack style mufflers by the tailpipes. It worked well for that car, however I really don't know how much HP and torque they left on the table. If I was building a car like your Camaro that's more *****-to-the-wall aggressive, then yea, 2 mufflers would definitely be a bad idea. However, I am making something very different, and want to design an exhaust system that compliments the car.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just want to do my homework so I can do this right the first time.
no problem, no offense taken, and i meant no offense. but i was just referring to your rasp comment. i didnt know you wanted it to be quieter, those are 2 different things. but in all honesty, if you have cats and mufflers out back your car will be decently quiet, it all depends on what mufflers your choose.

Quick Reply: Will a dual-in dual-out muffler give you all the benefits of an X pipe?